FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Mai Kai - February 9th!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Mai Kai - February 9th!!!
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 4:30 pm   Permalink

I wasn't sure of where to post this considering me finally making it to Florida isn't exactly an event but here goes...

I'm finally gonna make it to the Mai Kai and I had a couple questions for the locals... Where is a cheap place to flop in Ft. Lauderdale within close proximity? Would anyone want to meet up for a drink... I'm going to do the whole floorshow and all because I know I'll never make it to a Hukilau and this is my one opportunity to check it out! Should I make reservations early... as in now? I know there's been info. posted all over TC about the Mai Kai but I couldn't find the specifics I was looking for! I'd love to hang out with some other Tikiphiles so please join me!

[ This Message was edited by: johntiki 2006-01-18 20:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: johntiki 2006-01-19 16:00 ]

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 05:44 am   Permalink

anyone?

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 06:14 am   Permalink

Hey John,

There's a hotel stumbling distance from the Mai Kai...used to be a best western or something but is now independently owned. I cant remember the name, but the people at the Mai Kai game me the name/adrs/phone number. Give em a call. (Its like a block up the road just past the Spearmint Rhino)

As far as hanging out, wish i could, but I'll be stuck up here in CT. Hoist one for me, and have a blast!

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 08:53 am   Permalink

I will be there a few weeks after you. We are staying at the best western oakland park in for 2 nights . I looked at a map and its website says its walking distance from the Mai Kai.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 10:05 am   Permalink

I'll be there on Feb 17-18. It's my birthday and the wife and kids are treating me. (My wife rocks!!) It's also my first time there and I, too, need to find a close hotel that is hopefully a little more interesting than your run-of-the-mill HoJo without breaking the bank.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 12:25 pm   Permalink

Rodeo - thanks for the tip I just got a return e-mail from the Mai Kai and they recommended the Best Western Oaklandpark as well and I just booked my stay! We all should have organized this a little better and we could have had our own mini Hukilau!

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 1:57 pm   Permalink

I stayed there during da Hukilau. They have a sad, tiki-less "tiki" bar. Don't let the bedbugs bite!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 3:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-19 13:57, pappythesailor wrote:
Don't let the bedbugs bite!

Now what the hell is that supposed to mean?! Should I be concerned with bedbugs at this hotel? Please clarify!

I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 6:30 pm   Permalink

Aloha johntiki,

I think a small gathering can be arranged. I will do my darnedest to be there. I'll PM you shortly. You'll love the place.

Do you know Scott tiki and his lovely wahine Jen? They were wonderful to meet when they were here last fall.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-01-19 18:31 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 05:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-19 18:30, I dream of tiki wrote:
I think a small gathering can be arranged. I will do my darnedest to be there.

Oh, bummer. Hate to miss a gathering. I can't really change my dates since the 9th is a Thursday and my kids are in school the next day.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 06:04 am   Permalink

Gator - that's perfectly understandable! I'm actually getting a four day reprieve from child care duties to make it down to Florida! My buddy Joe, who is making the trip with me, is also taking a vacation from his wife and daughter. We're both excited and floored that the wives gave us the go-ahead for this trip! Anyone else think they can make it out?

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 06:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-19 15:59, johntiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-01-19 13:57, pappythesailor wrote:
Don't let the bedbugs bite!

Now what the hell is that supposed to mean?! Should I be concerned with bedbugs at this hotel? Please clarify!

Since you asked, my bathroom was pretty skeezy, the room smelled like mildew and the coffee tasted like ass. Although that last may just be a FT. Lauderdale thing. The water there was pretty icky. (But I wish I were there to go to the Mai Kai with you!)

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 07:48 am   Permalink

I can deal with skeezy bathrooms - I'll make sure to wear some flip-flops in the shower! I'll also bring my own can of Lysol to battle the mildew smell and take your advice on avoid the assy coffee - it's only a place to flop for a few hours before heading on! But the mention of bedbugs had my skin crawling!

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 5:02 pm   Permalink

We tried to make a reservation at the Best Western on the 18th and it was all booked up. Lots of other hotels in the area are full that weekend too. There must be a convetion or something. So we're going to come down on the 25th instead. We could've probably found a hotel somewhere, but I don't want to deal with a lot of traffic and crowds. We're set for the 7pm performance at the MaiKai on the 25th (early show due to our kids being with us). Woo hoo!

joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 6:53 pm   Permalink

Hey John,

I'll try to make it to have a drink with you. I needed an excuse to go back there to pick up some rum barrell mugs to send off to TCers in far off lands. PM me before you come down with the details of when you'll be arriving there.

Joe

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation