FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Last Hurrah for the Royal Hawaiian ???
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Last Hurrah for the Royal Hawaiian ???
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 7:56 pm   Permalink

Are we sure it is finally closing, heard that when asked recently, a bouncer replied, ya, im buying it tommorow." Someone is supposedly always about to buy it. I want to make sure and go down there if this is actually gonna happen.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 8:10 pm   Permalink

The 11th works better for me.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 8:43 pm   Permalink

In

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 9:49 pm   Permalink

dammit! i hope they don't screw the place up! i like the royal hawaiian!! cleen and i may have to make it down there for the (hope not) send off party.

if anyone is keepin track the holiday weekend would be better for us.

dh

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 9:57 pm   Permalink

I am ok with 18th.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-19 10:25 pm   Permalink

11th bad. 18th good.
Even if we can't make it for the gathering, Tiki Bird & I are past due for a visit.

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 10:55 pm   Permalink

Either of those dates would probably work for us, we'll try to keep it open. I'm sad to hear WooHoo's confirmation of the news so far -- I'll keep hoping for the best. Support your local tiki!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 11:04 pm   Permalink

What should be done about the tikis in front?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 11:17 pm   Permalink

Perfect! The day after my thesis defense! Of course, if it's the last time I go to the Royal Hawaiian, I'll be royally bummed (pun intended).

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MEAN GENE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 07:53 am   Permalink

Yep, I heard they entered a 90-day escrow on 12-17-05, so we may be looking at a potential closing in mid March. The purchasers are buying the Hula Hut, the jewelry store next to the parking lot, and the parking lot for a real estate investment. They don't want to operate a restaurant, although I've heard they would entertain an offer to continue it. This probably isn't feasible, because a change of ownership will likely require the restaurant to be brought up to code..... A friend of a friend has put in an offer hoping the building inspection report will discourage the potential buyers. So far, it's not looking very promising.

The Royal Hawaiian is great! All of you local TCers better get your butts in there and pay it the respect it deserves! See ya there.

Mean Gene has spoken!

[ This Message was edited by: MEAN GENE 2006-01-20 08:04 ]

View Profile of MEAN GENE Send a personal message to MEAN GENE  Email MEAN GENE Goto the website of MEAN GENE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 07:54 am   Permalink

It looks like roughly half the votes are for Feb. 11th and half for the 18th.

There might have to be two events!

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MEAN GENE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 08:18 am   Permalink

If you go in there right when they open during the week and tell the early local boys at the bar that Mean Gene sent ya, watch what happens....

I will be making as many appointments in OC as possible during the next couple months.

[ This Message was edited by: MEAN GENE 2006-01-20 08:19 ]

View Profile of MEAN GENE Send a personal message to MEAN GENE  Email MEAN GENE Goto the website of MEAN GENE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MTKahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 09:04 am   Permalink

Does anyone know if the Royal Hawaiian is planning a closing event? That may solve our problem.

If not, we'll have to have an appropriate closing ceremony. Therefore, the more time for planning... the better.

[ This Message was edited by: MTKahuna 2006-01-20 09:05 ]

View Profile of MTKahuna Send a personal message to MTKahuna  Email MTKahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 11:45 am   Permalink

I was there on 12/30 during my New Years pilgramage and was told by the lady in charge that while they were indeed being sold the new owners would be keeping the Royal Hawaiian open as a Polynesian place.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-01-20 12:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-20 11:45, rugbymatt wrote:
I was there on 12/30 during my New Years pilgramage and was told by the lady in charge that while they were indeed being sold the new owners would be keeping the Royal Hawaiian open as a Polynesian place.

That's what they all say...

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation