FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving How toxic is that wood your carving?
How toxic is that wood your carving?
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 2:46 pm   Permalink

I found a great little chart, rating the carving dust toxicity of many different woods. Good stuff, worth checking out...

http://www.fishcarver.com/fish_carving_wood_selection.htm

I'm wearing MY mask!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SCTikiShack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 6:54 pm   Permalink

Surfintiki,

On your chart redwood looks like some nasty stuff. I've noticed many years ago that if I carve without a mask, I wind up being short of breath surfing the next morning. Almost like I have asthma. I amways wear my mask now, even when I am doing chaisaw work. Thanks for letting carvers know the dangers of sawdust.

Will

View Profile of SCTikiShack Send a personal message to SCTikiShack  Email SCTikiShack Goto the website of SCTikiShack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-19 9:32 pm   Permalink

Great post....I have been really lax about such safty equipment in the past, but when I read about the stuff I've been doing, it's really disturbing.

I sort of woke up when I started getting nose bleeds from the inhaled crap...

Time to wise up!

Thanks again

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation