FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Catalina Tiki Fest-August-18-19-20, 2006
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Catalina Tiki Fest-August-18-19-20, 2006
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-20 5:36 pm   Permalink

I was waiting for Smogbreather to bring this up as he told me about this before New Years, but I know he is busy and I have seen this on several websites that I can't find now. Looks like a full blown luau with some good bands........Smokin Menehunes, Ape, plus traditional Hawaiian, vendors etc. Hopefully he will chime in and give us the 411.......Lots going on this year!

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 7:53 pm   Permalink

Hey Bongo,
this was the first Catalina Tiki fest in 2003 where I did a live carving demo, and the highlight was meeting Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al for the first time! I was so nervous carving right in front of the master of detail Al. Come to think of it, that store still has that tiki I carved...

At the time, people weren't too hip to tiki, but I imagine 3 years later will do the trick!

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-20 8:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-20 17:36, bongofury wrote:
I was waiting for Smogbreather to bring this up as he told me about this before New Years, but I know he is busy and I have seen this on several websites that I can't find now. Looks like a full blown luau with some good bands........Smokin Menehunes, Ape, plus traditional Hawaiian, vendors etc. Hopefully he will chime in and give us the 411.......Lots going on this year!

APE on CATALINA ?????

Awesome!!!

( I hope it doesn't run the same weekend that our "laid back luau" happens at Whites Point aka the Cove, with the Hedley sisters, family and friends. More to come on this soon)

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 12:28 pm   Permalink

August 2006 is booking up quick for Southern California events...

Sat. 08/05/06.... Mission Tiki's 50th Anniversary Bash...
Sat. 08/12/06...International Tiki Day...plans yet to be made...
Fri. 08/ 18, 19, 20/06...Catalina Tiki-fest...

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 3:59 pm   Permalink

Wow! So much fun to look forward to!

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-21 7:47 pm   Permalink

I don't remember seeing Holden's confirmation of this!!! I'll tell you now that if it IS that weekend you better reserve a room NOW or there won't be any! WooHooWahine (also a travel agent in her spare-haha time) says that you better make reservations now as that weekend fills fast and Catalina has limited lodging!

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 06:18 am   Permalink

I checked the Yahoo travel website - the only hotel available that weekend is $280.00 per night.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 09:57 am   Permalink

I might be wrong but I can almost predict that maybe Holden has an arrangement with the Hotels/Motels in Catalina. So everything would be a package deal. Don't you think that would only make sense?? This sounds like alot of fun.

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 5:09 pm   Permalink

Funny thing is I was Born In So. Cal. at age 3 Moved to Nor. Cal.
Moved back to So.Cal. in '81 But I've never Been to Catalina.
I've been to Hawaii twice, and my parents are always buggin' me to go with them(they have a time-share on Kauai).
But I need to get over to the Catalina Island a bit more often.
They had a surf music festival in 2000 or so.
with Stingrays(kids from San Clemente) and Chantays(of Pipeline)fame.
in the day outside.
And Blue Hawaiians and Dick Dale(miserlou) played at night in the big Dance Hall. I wanted to go. But it was 100bucks plus plus.
and I was a lowly 7-11 employee at the time and had to work weekends.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-22 7:41 pm   Permalink

Tiki Central Catalina Takeover!!! Get ready to WOOHOOO!!!!

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-23 10:20 am   Permalink

Hey Jeff.......I also saw that the Blue Hawaiians are supposed to play on the 19th after Ape and Gregg DeCastro.

Here is a link to one of the sites I saw it on with a lot of info. Also lots of other Hawaiian goodies and events on the mainland.

http://alohaworld.com/cgi-bin/suite/calendar/calendar.cgi?request=detail&event_id=11256&user_id=100899&website=default&category_id=&session=43d51d1a07984c6a

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 1:36 pm   Permalink

OH Oh, TC'ers are going to have a choice this weekend. The Tiki Beach Fest is also the same days.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-23 1:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-23 13:36, Tiki Diablo wrote:
OH Oh, TC'ers are going to have a choice this weekend. The Tiki Beach Fest is also the same days.

No problem! It's just "26 miles across the sea........." How long will that take to paddle in my dinghy????

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 1:44 pm   Permalink

Damn! The Hermit campgrounds are already full/booked.
Anyone have a reservation that could occupy one more TCer?
I may have to stay at Little Harbor campground. It's beautiful, but about 16 miles away from Avalon.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 7:23 pm   Permalink

The last event 3 summers ago was put on by the guy who literally owned most of Catalina, including the hotels, so I imagine that the rooms are being held for this event... but if its the same weekend as Long Beach, I'm going LBC!

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation