FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Catalina Tiki Fest-August-18-19-20, 2006
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Catalina Tiki Fest-August-18-19-20, 2006
Rocco

Posted: 2006-08-06 9:39 pm   Permalink

Unfortuately I need to cancel my trip to TikiFest. I have two tickets for the weekend...Luau for 4:30 in the HULA section row A seats 12 & 13.
I paid $228.38 for two(incl. tax), I'll sell for $200.

Please email
hula.boy@mac.com if interested. Thanks!

View Profile of Rocco Send a personal message to Rocco  Email Rocco Goto the website of Rocco     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-07 10:30 am   Permalink

BEWARE & Be Prepared: Rugby Matt, Tiki-Tina, and Bamboo Boyd are coming out to Californitiki to go to Catalina Tiki Fest with us

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-08 6:07 pm   Permalink

Hey Latitude,

Do you have any info/advice on moorings?

Check you PM's.

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-tina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-09 10:41 am   Permalink

Aloha everyone! Unfortunately something has come up and we may not be able to attend the Catalina Island Tiki-Fest as planned. If you are interested in going but don't have tickets, PM me and let me know, we'll working something out!!! We have 2 tickets available. Thanks!

View Profile of tiki-tina Send a personal message to tiki-tina      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-11 10:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-09 10:41, tiki-tina wrote:
Aloha everyone! Unfortunately something has come up and we may not be able to attend the Catalina Island Tiki-Fest as planned. If you are interested in going but don't have tickets, PM me and let me know, we'll working something out!!! We have 2 tickets available. Thanks!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-13 09:59 am   Permalink

Damn the muslim fanatics, full speed ahead to Catalina!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-13 3:05 pm   Permalink

Twenty six miles across the sea
Santa Catalina is a-waiting for Soccer Tiki and me
Santa Catalina, the island of
Tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki

Water all around it everywhere
Tropical trees and salty air
But for us the thing that's a-waiting is
Tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki

It seems so distant twenty six miles away ??
Resting in the waters serene
We'd work for anyone, even the navy
Who would float us to our island green

Twenty six miles, so near yet so far
We'd swim with just some water wings and a ukulele
We would leave the wings, we could leave the ukulele
For tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki

A tropical heaven, out in the ocean
Covered with trees and TCers
If we have to swim we'll do it forever
Till we're gazing on those island tikis

Forty kilometres in a leaky old boat
Any old thing that'll stay afloat
When we arrive we'll all promote tiki, tiki, tiki

[ This Message was edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-08-13 15:12 ]

WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-14 09:35 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-08-15 15:12 ]

alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 11:11 am   Permalink

We were hoping to arrive Thursday evening, but now looks like Friday morning. Look forward to the whole weekends festivities (beach bingo!) and meeting new friends. I see that a lot of artists will be at Long Beach that weekend, anyone know which TC artists will be at Catalina? I assume Doug Horne, but the TikiFest site doesn't list the vendors. Latitude, do you know?

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 9:39 pm   Permalink

We are planning to take our boat, Kon-Tiki over to the island on Thursday, weather permitting.

So if all is well then we will see you all in Catalina with our friends Kimo You and Joe the Pro.

Arty

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki 2006-08-14 22:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki 2006-08-14 22:05 ]

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-15 3:09 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-08-16 08:08 ]

Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-15 4:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I see that a lot of artists will be at Long Beach that weekend, anyone know which TC artists will be at Catalina? I assume Doug Horne, but the TikiFest site doesn't list the vendors. Latitude, do you know?

Aloha alohacurrent, yes Stacey and I are going for sure. We will have a booth with my art and her jewelry.
Looking forward to seeing everyone!!

The Art of Doug Horne
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-15 5:00 pm   Permalink

JOHNNY SUEDE SUGGESTS
Buenos Dias Bitches! ...
Johnny Suede

August is here and let the party begin! This month I thought I would first give the floor to the Holden Westland, the distinguished gentleman from Catalina Island and let him tell you all about the First Annual Tiki Festival to be held- Aww fuck it- I’ll let him tell you all about it!

First Annual Catalina Tiki Fest

The allure and the cultural richness of the Hawaiian Islands are making its way to Southern California this year. Should you wish to appreciate all that the Hawaiian Islands have to offer, you can experience it all right here in our own backyard at the First Annual Catalina Tiki Fest.

Held at Descanso Beach in Avalon on beautiful Catalina Island 22 miles off the coast of Southern California, the Catalina Tiki Fest boasts a traditional Pacific Rim style Luau with over 50 dancers, cultural vendors such Maori face painters, lei makers, Bora Bora fire jugglers, Tiki carvers, Tiki artisans, Tiki Bands and much more.

Highlighting the event is Gregg DeCastro & the All Nations Band and the Westwind Luau Explosion. The Westwind Luau Explosion is one of the finest Halau’s (Hawaiian Hula Dance Troup) in the entire continental United States. Their traditional Hula dances span the entire chain of Pacific Rim Islands and feature the traditional costumes of all of the Islander nations represented.

The music is indicative of the modern day heavily resurgent Tiki movement. "Tiki" music is a combination of Hawaiian Style, Exotica, Surf, Ukulele and Lounge with a little bit of modern edge thrown in. The headlining act is a band called "Ape". Crazy Al, a notorious character in the Tiki movement, fronts 'Ape'. Arguably, no modern day entertainer looks more like the Captain Morgan pirate than Crazy Al. While crooning out the lyrics, Crazy Al carves a full sized Tiki statue on stage… in rhythm! Ape’s style starts off old-time Hawaiian meets modern Hawaiian (with a touch of a punk rock edge) and then transitions into a VooDooesque, mysterious pulse pounding frenzy.

Also playing the event is King Kukulele & the Friki Tikis. Denny Moynahan (aka: King Kukulele) is the voice of modern day Tiki and will be emceeing the weekend long event. Moynahan’s Vaudevillian style performance and impromptu and off the cuff antics have enchanted crowds for years at Tiki events past.

Also playing the event are the Dynotones and the Martini Kings. The Dynotones bring the high-powered Surf genre to the stage and the Martini Kings add an Exotica top-off to this culturally packed weekend. In between the musical acts, local L.A. based "DJ Lee" will be spinning all of the aforementioned styles of music. DJ Lee is L.A’s most well known spinner of "Tiki".

Tiki artisans from all over the globe will also be in attendance at the event, vending their unique handcrafts on both Saturday and Sunday. Tropical décor and fashion, unique carvings, Tiki mugs, Polynesian jewelry, oil paintings and prints are just some of what will be found. The weekend presents a unique opportunity for its guests to purchase some of today’s hottest and most unique fashion and décor items.

Along with a complete Luau experience, what sets the Catalina Tiki Fest apart from other Tiki events is an abundance of cultural vendors. The event will include Maori face painters, Bora Bora Drumers, Keiki (Hawaiian for "kid") Hula lessons, Ukulele lessons, and Shaved Ice and Polynesian fire jugglers. There will also be 2 fully stocked VooDoo Rum sponsored Tiki bars on the grounds at Descanso Beach.

Raffle Tickets will be sold during vending hours for a 5-day, 4-night stays at both the Royal Kona Resort and the Royal Lahaina Resorts (including complimentary dinner for 2 at their recently re-opened "Don the Beachcomber" Restaurants; airfare not included) as well as for a Fender Acoustic Guitar and a Gretsch Acoustic Guitar. Fender & Gretsch will be on site debuting their brand new line of Ukuleles and other corporate vendors in attendance will be Quiksilver Edition, Mountain Apple (featuring the largest offering of Hawaiian cd’s in the world) and Don the Beachcomber Restaurants

rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-08-15 5:07 pm   Permalink

tiki drinki tiki drinki!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Latitude 33
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-15 10:40 pm   Permalink

Well tiki buddy's it's almost time. We start building our "village" tomorrow out at Descanso Beach. Friday night we have beach blanket bingo so bring a blanket or towel or something too lounge outside under the stars on the grass and enjoy the music, bingo and a couple of adult beverages. We have lined up some great music for Sunday too ! Don't forget to mention Tiki Central when you check in to get your VIP wristband for the VIP Redbull booth (Saturday night FREE red bull and vodka) plus a nice area to relax and decompress. On the question about moorings unfortunately it's a first come first serve, no reservations accepted. If you know somebody who knows somebody who owns a mooring you can have the owner make a reservation for you. I am a lowly tiki bum and have no mooring owner friends, good luck ! We still have some tickets available so anyone out there that can bum a piece of floor or boat bunk come on over we guarantee you will have the best TIKI experience of your life or double your TIKI back. Call 310 510-0178 ext 602 (Tikifest hot line) or www.catalinatikifest.com. By the way we just signed up TIKI DADDY to carve TIKI's all weekend. Thanks to all you tiki aficionados for checking in. See you all this weekend.

Jerry
Latitude 33

View Profile of Latitude 33 Send a personal message to Latitude 33      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation