Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki TONGA Room Vintage item
TONGA Room Vintage item
TongaroomSF

Posted: 2006-01-20 11:36 pm   Permalink

Good evening-
I have acquired a vintage item from the tonga room at the Fairmont Hotel SF (it says that on the bottom of the item.) I got it a very large estate sale of a person that lived in the Bay Area since 1938.

But, I need help in knowing what it is.So leave me a message and let me know. I have never seen this item on the internet yet. It is very nice. And is in very nice condition.
Brad

[ This Message was edited by: TongaroomSF 2006-01-24 21:16 ]

View Profile of TongaroomSF Send a personal message to TongaroomSF  Email TongaroomSF Goto the website of TongaroomSF     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 02:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-20 23:36, TongaroomSF wrote:
Good evening-
I have acquired a vintage item from the tonga room at the Fairmont Hotel SF (it says that on the bottom of the item.) I got it a very large estate sale of a person that lived in the Bay Area since 1938.

But, I need help in knowing what it is. IT is NOT a mug, and i really have no idea what it is, but I have many photos of it, and would be glad to share them with anyone that can tell me what it is. So, email me and let me know. I have never seen this item on the internet yet. It is very nice. And is in very nice condition.
Brad

[ This Message was edited by: TongaroomSF 2006-01-20 23:38 ]

there are plenty of folks who might be able to tell you what you have here on TC. but w/o a pick we can't tell you what it is! post a pic if you want to know what you have!

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 4:01 pm   Permalink

Suh-weeeeeet! Wish I had one.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiJosh 2006-01-23 10:32 ]

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 4:14 pm   Permalink

That's a great find, congrats! It's a bowl, used for serving a large drink to be shared by several people. Here it is in Ooga-Mooga:

Tonga Room Three Moai Bowl

It's also pictured on page 174 of Sven Kirsten's Book of Tiki.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu 2006-01-21 16:17 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 4:21 pm   Permalink

and just to be thorough and directly answer the question, it is a communal drink bowl.
the tasty "tonga tabu" was most likely served in this bowl. it was a potent drink to be consumed by 4 people.

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 4:33 pm   Permalink

damn!! I thought I was the only one with one of those!!...nice find. I actually bought mine on ebay a few years back...never seen one since except of course, sven's book......

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 10:41 am   Permalink

Excellent find. Great, even stamp printing, and you even have the sticker. Very nice. Wouldn't mind having that myself.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 09:02 am   Permalink

Is it in a different color glaze or just photographed in a warmer light? I think it looks incredible in that tangarine color with all the crazing.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 10:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-21 16:33, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
damn!! I thought I was the only one with one of those!!...nice find. I actually bought mine on ebay a few years back...never seen one since except of course, sven's book......

sorry tipsy we have one too! the pic humu posted is of ours. this bowl in the yellow color was also used at the aku aku in vegas and a dark brown version was used at the islander in stockton.

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TongaroomSF

Posted: 2006-01-23 6:18 pm   Permalink

The bowl is yellow in color, above is the correct photos. Thanks for noticing. TongaroomSF

[ This Message was edited by: TongaroomSF 2006-01-24 21:19 ]

View Profile of TongaroomSF Send a personal message to TongaroomSF  Email TongaroomSF Goto the website of TongaroomSF     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation