FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 08:11 am   Permalink

This is dumb...sorry. My pictures got canned by verizon when I quit them...

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2009-10-27 15:11 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 08:21 am   Permalink

nice start Tikigap...I am still pretty much a beginner as far as tools are concerned....
but I would recommend a nice starter set of good chisels. I bought a couple sets of
Flexcut chisels fromm Mountain Heritage Crafters....www.mhc-online.com.....
and I can't believe what a pleasure they are to work with. For big stuff...I really like
their four piece set of Sculptor Chisels. I think better chisels really improved my
results....or at least my perception of the results. Good luck and welcome aboard.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 08:28 am   Permalink

read , read ,read and read some more. There are lots of great threads here with advice from some of the best and most talented carvers and artist around. Welocome aboard , there is no cure for your new found disease.

And read anything that Benzart has written.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 08:43 am   Permalink

Definitely nice first tiki, tikigap. You have been bitten pretty badly and the only cure is to carv more and more tiki. Go to the "Tools Carvers use" thread HERE
You will find Many answers there and many tools to think about. Look over the "Creating" forum and you will always find tool refrences scattered about .
WELCOME to TC, glad to have you here.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 09:35 am   Permalink

Thanks guys - I should have searched for tools on the site before posting the last thread. What a great resource! There really is all the information here. Thanks for the hospitality and for letting me in...! And thanks for the kind words about my early tiki endeavors. Now off to the 'net to buy some better tools! I think I'll make a mai-tai first.

TikiGap

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 1:12 pm   Permalink

very cool carving job on that piece.

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 3:33 pm   Permalink

Hey bro - that's a nice first carving and welcome to TC

YOu may want to search for other wood to use other than treated wood. The dust is highly toxic when sanding, and with a start like that tiki I have a feeling that you will be carving and sharing many more. I understand that the wood has a good lasting life outside (especially in an area like DC), but you can treat regular wood with many different types of sealants after the carving is done (like marine epoxy - which is also toxic, but there are less airborn particles)

Keep carving, keep searching tc for information and ask any questions you may have - we are happy to help.

I look forward to what's next...
PS - mind the tikigap!

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2006-01-22 15:34 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 6:39 pm   Permalink

GREAT tiki fresh outa the brain! I can't wait to see some that you put a long effort into! You've got the artist's eye, I've gotta draw up all kinds of pictures first...soon I'll try one without a sketch. Can't wait to see an 8 footer. What kind of wood you gonna use?

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 10:21 pm   Permalink

Thats a great lookin tiki, especially for a second carving - sweet. Haha, you got the bug bad, it only deepens from hereon in. Welcome to the rabbit hole Alice...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 1:51 pm   Permalink

Advice,
As has been said, Don't carve with pressure treated.

Look up any thread started by Benzart!

Great form though! Look forward to seeing more.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 07:43 am   Permalink

Thanks to all for the leads and advice... I won't carve any more PT wood... I carved the one above (and this one, it's mate, which is still in progress) out of PT because I had it laying around and it was a good piece to get started on with learning how to use my cheezy tools! I found out how toxic it is by reading this and other forums, so I'm using a respirator while carving this junk wood...

Here's a progress picture of #3 - just the legs, arms, hands, and boobs are started. No neck or head yet. It's hard to correct a mistake with a 4x4... I originally forgot to put hands on it, (so it would look like the mate to tiki#2).

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 07:41 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 11:02 am   Permalink

Looks like you might be able to have his arms folded over his chest. Looks like a Tall headdress coming up. I Love it so far.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 11:52 am   Permalink

Right you are Ben - A very tall headdress is coming! I like the arms-folded-over-the-chest concept - But perhaps I've alreay taken out too much cleavage, I think. As it is now, I've got the hands just covering the nipples a little. I should have thought that out more before putting blade to wood.

By the way, Is it "ok" to glue something back on if you were to slip with the knife? I guess it depends on how big a piece comes off accidentally, but I'm wondering what a real wood carver would do. Is that against the "rules" per se?

I know if I was paying for a tiki and the carver glued something back on, I'd be a little disappointed. However, if you do a good job, they might never know it. Reference your ebony tiki with broken legs! That was a fantastic repair job you did on that. I even enlarged your pictures a little to see if I could see where the break was, and I could not... again, good job!

And again, thanks so much for your ideas and critiques.

Greg

TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 2:13 pm   Permalink

I had a chunk of an eye splinter off on the one I'm currently working on and I glued it back on. If it's a clean break, and you can glue it cleanly, I say go for it. If you're looking to sell the tiki, I'd be inclined to agree, that might be a little disappointing. I second what others have said on here-- listen to anything that Benzart has to say!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-08 10:13 am   Permalink

Ok, I finished tiki #3 (the female), and now I'm done forever with pressure treated wood. I disliked the wood so much I felt like I had to paint it, so I did, with flat-black spray paint (UGH!). I discovered that every time someone touched it, it would leave fingerprints, so I buffed it with a piece of leather, and it turned out shiny, and not prone to fingerprints, much to my surprise! No more black paint and no more PT! For me, It WAS a good learning thing though. There, that feels better. Next I'm going to try some bigger stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2009-10-27 15:12 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation