FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
TikiGap's thread - Tiki 20 and other travels - Page 22
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-27 8:32 pm   Permalink

T-Gap, that piggie's lookin good enuf to roast!. Just stick an apple in his mouth and Light the fire,,Oops, Nope, can't do thattt. Coon tiki tu?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-27 8:41 pm   Permalink

Here's a couple more pics -

Hangin hog:

He really does look a lot better than these pictures show.
The wood is totally cool. It's a walnut root.
His head and ears were underground for a long time.

Hey Benz... I might just show up for Coon tiki again - I can't be sure yet though. Me and Conga might be workin somthin out. It's just down the road a piece from my place.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-28 08:54 am   Permalink

Cool Gap, I tike this guy.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 12:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-27 20:41, tikigap wrote:
His head and ears were underground for a long time.

Must be hunting for truffels then.

Very nice drum sticks! I bet that sounds great. I'm glad to see you got back to it.

How are the lungs doing, did you work out a dust collection system?

JP

[ This Message was edited by: Johnnyp 2007-04-02 18:07 ]

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 3:54 pm   Permalink

That's a really nice pig slit gong! Fun and functional! It might be cool if u drilled some holes and carved/procured some pig tusks to put in his hog mouth as tusks are so manly an' all in Melanesia.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 6:28 pm   Permalink

T-Gap, That would be totally cool. Bring some pig, we could roast him up for sure!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-02 6:53 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks Danny (haven't heard from you in a while!), Johnny, SneakyT and Ben - you guys are too kind.

JP - I'm all better now respiratory wise, especially now with summer knocking on the door - I can take some of this stuff outside and breath.

Sneaky - I thought about tusks. I have some beaver teeth (Fangs) I was scoping it out with... I might just have to do that if I can find the right teeth. (Hmmm. Maybe I'll check with GMAN )

I don't ever even enter my little workshop without a respirator now though.
I don't want to go thru that again. My dust collection system is still
a big old shop vac... I'm still working that problem.

Ben! - I "solved" the eye problem, at least temporarily. I made the eye sockets deeper and bigger, which got past the first problem I was having (the "check-in-his-head-right-where-his-right-eye-would-go problem).

I carved inserts to fit snugly into the sockets, so I could change them around and figger out what worked best. Since I couldn't decide what to do really, I just made some dark black little beady eyes on a stick (a-la Mr. Potatohead!) and drilled a small hole in each eye socket, and pounded the beady little eyes in there.

They might fall out if the drum is actually used hard enough, but by that time I may have a better solution, and can put something else in there. I'm giving the pig to some friends of mine so I'll be able to visit and 'adjust' it in the future. I really gotta work on eyes... that's gotta be the hardest part of carving for me.

The pig has been hoggin up my workshop for too long - it'll be nice to give him away and get back to a stone thing I was trying to work on.

I'll post some final pictures when I get him outside for a kodak moment.

Anyway - long and windy as usual. Sorry about that.

Thanks again everyone...

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-12 5:45 pm   Permalink

Pig done, finally.

Hangin on the wall:

signed his ass:

I love the Head Grain in this walnut:

Lilac drumsticks and the leather "thong" to hang him up by his you-know-what:

This is the under side with the drumsticks in there:

and this is them hanging out:

It's finished with 20,000 coats of tung oil. No, really.

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 6:58 pm   Permalink

Most excellent! As a serious hog connoisseur, I can see the real beauty in him. What an awesome piece! I would love to try to make one of those one day.

Bacon, bacon,

G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 7:41 pm   Permalink

I am squealing with delight! This finished up really nice GAP, and even better that
it's a drum. I liked this one all along but I never thought it would turn out so cool.
See ya at Coontiki II huh?

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-12 9:31 pm   Permalink

Hey GMAN - that means a lot comin from you! It's a pretty good pig, you know? - And Conga - I love you man! Thanks a lot for the support!

Thanks again fellas....

gap

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 9:48 pm   Permalink

T-G,

I love the porker an' branding his ass was a stroke of brilliance. I hear that cures hog-roids.

S T

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 06:16 am   Permalink

Very nice work, man.
Love the grain of the head too. It is super top.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 7:35 pm   Permalink

I saw this right after you posted yesterday, but didn't have the time to post. This piece kicks $%^&. You did a fantastic job on it. Some day I have to hear it play. Congrats on a job well done.

Alright. What is next?

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 8:10 pm   Permalink

YES, Excellent job, and Nice solution to the eyes, They look great and you have room for improvement if it is found, Very Creative Thinkin'.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation