FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Drinks and Food Ľ Ľ Simple syrup or superfine sugar?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Simple syrup or superfine sugar?
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-22 3:44 pm   Permalink

Is there much difference? Which do you prefer, and why? I tend to use superfine sugar, even if the recipe calls for simple syrup. But I never know how much to use, so I just add to taste. For example, when the recipe calls for 1/2 ounce syrup, how much sugar is the equivalent?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-01-23 1:22 pm   Permalink

I prefer simple syrup, but only if it's homemade from cane sugar. If you use a retail syrup, chances are it is HFCS and chemicals, and that just sucks.

I know superfine dissolves quickly, but I prefer syrup to avoid the issue altogether. With the 2 sugar to 1 water ratio, it adds very little water to a drink.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-01-23 2:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-23 13:22, martiki wrote:
If you use a retail syrup, chances are it is HFCS and chemicals, and that just sucks.

Would that include Trader Vic's Rock Candy Syrup?

For me it's not an issue of whether the liitle amount of water in syrup affects the drink. I agree it would not make a difference. But I'm just lazy and would rather not make the syrup when I can just throw in a teaspoon or 2 of sugar.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 3:18 pm   Permalink

I've never thought of using superfine sugar, but it would be one less thing to pour out and measure.
I'm all over speeding up my mixing without affecting the outcome of a well made drink.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 4:44 pm   Permalink

How about Sblenda?

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-01-23 4:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-23 14:18, thejab wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-01-23 13:22, martiki wrote:
If you use a retail syrup, chances are it is HFCS and chemicals, and that just sucks.

Would that include Trader Vic's Rock Candy Syrup?

Yes. Yes, it would. And now I am free to say that it sucks. One thing abnout the Vic's syrup, however is that it has a touch of vanilla (well, fake vanilla) in it. I've seen some upscale syrups and some recipes call for this. Some think of it as a secret weapon, I'm on the fence on this issue.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 6:28 pm   Permalink

adding 1 inch of a Tahitian vanilla bean to your bag/container of superfine sugar will help it taste similar to commercial syrup, and will improve any drink in a very subtle way. Tahitian vanilla can be found in most stores in a small jars for a high price. Large beans can be bought by weight from a vender on Ebay for a much cheaper price.

Using any size granule of sugar can result in clumping (especially fine or powder) or a super sweet draw at the bottom of a cocktail. If you prefer to use a granule over making your own syrup or a commercialy available one, try this: As a first step to preparing your cocktail, take your measurement of granule and drop in a shotglass with a little of one of the juice components or liqueur that is room temp, stir well(little battery cocktail stirer is tops). Let sit while weighing out and mixing the rest of the cocktail. stir again, then add to the rest of the mix. Granule will mix better because it has soaked in a room temp liquid, as opposed to adding directly to a ice cold shaker. This is a luxury you have when bartending at home:time.
When it comes down to it the average drinker can not distinguish a 2/3 of a 1/2 oz. addition or subtraction of water, this is more about pleasing yourself as a mixologist. More likely to be noticeable is unmixed granule at the bottom of the glass or mug that is sucked up hard as the last marked taste of the cocktail, only to be a liquid shot of pixie stick.
just my experience snortin sugar
TT
(ahh hell, just drink Mickeys!?!)
p.s. Aikmann, i have used splenda for a weight conscience drink in replacement of syrup for a traditional recipe. worked for them, did taste a bit different, the amount takes a couple of tries. mixes well enough, and the foaming dissapates when shoooken.

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked 2006-01-23 18:31 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-24 10:37 am   Permalink

Is simple syrup the same as Gomme syrup?

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rotterdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 2:40 pm   Permalink

Yep.

View Profile of Tiki Rotterdam Send a personal message to Tiki Rotterdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-25 11:58 am   Permalink

Is there a recipe for simple syrup somewhere on this site? How do you make this stuff?

T.I.A.

TikiGap

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 2:20 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure if there's a recipe 'round here but it's pretty much 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. If you just use cups, it'll make more than you'll use in a night. Easy as pie. You boil the snot of it, or at least until all the sugar is dissolved, and you pour it into something (I use mason jars). The fun part of it is that I've had mine sitting in the fridge and some of the sugar has started to form odd crystal-type rock formations. Super fun!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-25 8:14 pm   Permalink

It's that simple huh? Thanks! I'll make some...!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 01:53 am   Permalink

I just take a small jam jar, fill it half way with sugar, then fill the rest with boiling water almost to the top. Put the lid on and shake.
Once the sugar has dissolved leave to cool and use.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JerseyRED
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-26 05:18 am   Permalink

Superfine sugar is VERY easy to make into simple syrup! It doesn't need to be heated and dissolves rather easily in water. Just place it in a jar with water and shake. Then shake again. And then one more time.
Just be sure itís NOT powered confectionerís sugar as this has corn starch in it and will cause clumping. Superfine sugar can be hard to find in your average supermarket so be sure to not get the two of them confused. If you canít find superfine then go with the regular table sugar, but you will need to use heat.

I've seen 1 part sugar to 1 part water, 2:1 and 1:2 ratios. Iíd start a small batch with a 1:1. You can always increase or decrease the next batch.
Since I use Splenda, as many are very concerned about weight gain at this time of year, I use a 1 part sugar to 2 part water ratio. Splenda seems very sweet to me and the taste can overwhelm. But it also does not need to be heated and dissolves very easily in water with just a little shaking.

Edit: I add a vodka if the batch is large. I have had mold form in my simple syrup.

Will Sinclair

[ This Message was edited by: JerseyRED 2006-01-26 05:21 ]

View Profile of JerseyRED Send a personal message to JerseyRED      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 7:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-26 05:18, JerseyRED wrote:
Superfine sugar can be hard to find in your average supermarket....

As Alton Brown stated in the most recent episode of Good Eats, never BUY superfine sugar. Just throw regular sugar in the blender and whiz it up for a few seconds.

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation