FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 04:53 am   Permalink

Howdy all,

Firstly I’d like to thank all the guys out there who take the time to post their carvings, step-by-steps, tips on methods, tools to use, and answering questions raised by amateurs like myself – without your priceless information I probably wouldn’t have had the courage to think I could just start chipping away at a log to create a tiki.

This is my first carving of any kind, and although it took a bit longer than expected, every step I did I learnt a lot, so now I know how to do it a lot better and faster next time.

I picked up some logs at the yard of a local tree-lopper (I have no idea what type of woods they are), and bought new tools such as: angle grinder, arbortech wood carver attachment, dremel type rotary tool with flexishaft, palm sander, propane torch, 4 good quality chisels and a powerstrop sharpening attachment.

After torching:

After Staining:

After 4 coats of marine varnish:

Now I’ve got plenty more logs to get cracking on!

Thanks for looking (and thanks for all your help already!)

Harro.

[ This Message was edited by: harro 2008-05-30 05:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: harro 2008-06-04 14:56 ]

[ This Message was edited by: harro 2008-10-31 10:27 ]

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 05:00 am   Permalink

Harro,

WOW!!!! That looks great! Man, you've got more tools than I do...can I come over and steal a few? Thanks for posting, the subject you chose for your first is a real tough one. Most folks think they are easy. Not so. Great job! What's next on your list?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 05:07 am   Permalink

Sweet moai man! As Gman said, he's a deceptive bugger! Nice clean lines, you got a nice style. Cant wait to see more

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gibgib
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-23 05:17 am   Permalink

Wow mate, that's your first?
I'm damn impressed!
I reckon by the time you've punched out a few more you could be up there with the best

Go the Queenslanders

View Profile of gibgib Send a personal message to gibgib  Email gibgib Goto the website of gibgib     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 05:42 am   Permalink

very impressive first outing....great cuts....color and finish....we will expect great
things out of you!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 09:17 am   Permalink

That is a fantastic first carving. You have very clean lines, now go make another and post it up!!

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 09:20 am   Permalink

Fantastic first attempt...puts mine to shame. More, more, more....

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 09:33 am   Permalink

Harro bruddah!
Amazing first carving brah! Sure youre not being kolohe with us?! Looks like youve been carving for years brah! I really love the torching effect and the stain/varnish! Great stuff! As they say, you better get some good sunglasses, 'cause your future is bright!

Keep up the good work!

Malama Pono!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 4:40 pm   Permalink

That is a difficult tiki style to carve. You did it marvelously. I hope we see a lot more. Nice tool selection to start with.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 4:49 pm   Permalink

Thats a SWEET First tiki Harro, How did you do it so well on the first try?
All you new carvers with your dynamite first carvings make me SO Jealous. I didn't get this good until after a few dozen pieces, really, I was BAD. I wish I could find some pix of my first ones, you would cry,, they sre so Ugly and Non-tiki.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 5:08 pm   Permalink

Love that stain job. That's one very cool dude.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 7:08 pm   Permalink

WOW thanks for the comps guys, it's quite humbling! you master carvers have been inspiring me since i found this forum some months ago. Cheers!

gibgib, hewey, Ben, congatiki, hellotiki, loki, kaha ki'i, rodeotiki: thankyou all for your kind words, it makes me want to get back out there straight away (unfortunately i'm at work!)

GMan, JP: yes more than once or twice i regretted choosing the moai as a first carving because i mistakenly thought it would be the easiest! man i spent many hours just staring at the log and then looking at pics of carvings done by TC'ers thinking 'how do i get it to look like that - it looks so easy?!'...

hopefully it won't take as long for the next one!
harro.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 07:01 am   Permalink

That's killer. A lot of guys are afraid to go near anything with the miracle of fire (I use it on almost everything, like Texas Pete sauce!). You did it first try..you should definitely keep it up. You have chops.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 07:03 am   Permalink

P.S. looks like you have yerself a tiki 'o good old white pine there(excellent carving wood).

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 10:34 am   Permalink

that's really nice.

did you use the mini grinder attachment or just a disc on the angle grinder?

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation