FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 05:39 am   Permalink

Hi Harro....nice...I'm really liking that face...particularly the eyes. Glad you passed the exam..even though it's meaningless...always nice to pass!

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 08:05 am   Permalink

Oh No! Ku got drunk again?! oh man, I thought I've hidden the Rum well this time!! When he is drunk he start speaking in English an saying stuff like that, or trying to get everyone naked !
But commonly he is a well behaved Argentinian Tiki (so he speaks in Spanish Grogie )

So you passed your exam? congrats! Tell us something in Spanish then

Oh the drummer is looking good! despite of your flue, It's cold lately hm? Brrrr!

[ This Message was edited by: Clarita 2008-05-09 09:30 ]

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-09 09:24 am   Permalink

Uh oh! If Ku is looking to defect to GROG's cave, watch out! He's hanging out with that little scoundrel Hoku Ili, the master escape artist! Watch those two carefully, Clarita!

The drummer is looking great, Harro. Looks like you're going to finish before zero hour, huh?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-14 11:06 pm   Permalink

Hi Harro,

This guy is looking very sweet.
I love the style you put in the design of his face, very smooth lines.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 08:21 am   Permalink

Gracias Benella, Bowana, Clarita, Robin, GROG, Lake, Conga, Seeks...

Just a quick post with some pics I took before I left for a few days away visiting the outlaws before we leave the country. I have smoothed out the face features and bongo with the grinder, and was tempted to blast the whole body with it to smooth it all out, but after all the work I've done with the chisels I think i will try and keep the rough chisel marks on the body. But I'm not sure If I have done a good enough job with the chisels, and how to get it ready for staining. Should i hand sand over the body just a little bit?

Hope for more TC time when I'm back in Buenos Aires.

Over and out!!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 09:13 am   Permalink

WOW Harro, you got a perfect piece here. I was waiting for this update !

The chisel job you made is a perfect choice. I think a bit of sanding could smooth the edges of the chisels marks that will allow your varnish or poly to fit together. Sorry for the bad explanation, I hope it will be "understandable"

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-20 9:34 pm   Permalink

Dam he looks great! Very nice work done on this fella.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-21 8:54 pm   Permalink

The tool marks you've got make a good contrast to the smoothness of the face. One way to have some fun with tool marks is to make a regular pattern with them such as in this picture:

It's especially noticeable in the vertical cuts on the legs.

Your drummer boy is looking good! You're making fast progress too.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 6:31 pm   Permalink

Nice one Harro! He's really come along well. Glad you're leaving those chisel marks again...the contrast with the smoothness of the face is perfect!

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-27 5:56 pm   Permalink

I'm with those guys, Nice one Harro but you Gotta quit playing around and get down to it! This guy is Dying to be uncovered and you are doing such a great job but he grows Impatient!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 4:49 pm   Permalink

Harro,

This drummer is really neat. I really like the flattened head and the jawline. This piece is on track to be a real looker. Please post more progress shots when you are able.

-G$

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 8:36 pm   Permalink

thanks Benella, Bowana, seeksurf, Robin, Ben, and Gman - appreciate you guys stoppin' in and helping me out...

battling against the clock now as we have to move out of our apartment in 2 days... urghhh, and then moving overseas in one week today... and now the freakin' cold has swooped in like a rapidly advancing glacier (such a thing?). In other words its freezing out (1 deg C / 32 F), so I took advantage of the now near empty living room and moved the entire workshop (read: one portable workbench) inside near the toasty heater.

I tried to do what Bowana makes it out to be so easy and have a contrast of smooth drum and facial features, contrasted against a rough, chiseled body (kinda like mine haha, stoppit). But i've got a bit of work to do to be able to get the chiseled finish looking half decent. Of course a newbie can always blame his tools, or lack of, and the poor wood. So yes i will do that.

Here it is with carving finished (sorry bad pic):

THEN I started the stain last night and it all went downhill!! Firstly I got pretty high staining inside in a tightly closed apartment and then didnt open a window until this morning, haha. It would have been ok with one coat of stain, but I stupidly went ahead and did another on the body and it was just too much. Too much bright RED cedar stain. Good for a Santa tiki, but Mieko's already done one of those. So it's a bit of a mess at the moment, but with a bit of guidance from Ben maybe I can save it. Unfortunately don't have time to sand it right back as I probably should do.

I dont have a camera now so I cant post pics of the poor fella but I will keep you guys up to date, and something will happen soon as I have no choice!!!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 9:02 pm   Permalink

The detail on the drum is really nice, it looks like rope around the
head. Overall excellent job on a tiki that I studied a lot and decided
that I wasn't good enough to do it. Happy travelling.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 9:15 pm   Permalink

DAMN that's nice!

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 9:19 pm   Permalink

This sucker turned out GREAT! That face and the drum
so NICE.

Yes, the staining process tell me about it.. I still
dread it.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation