FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Harro - What the hells been happening?? pg 13
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 10:01 pm   Permalink

I am watching this too! Very cool! I like the style very much! TT---------------

View Profile of Tucson Tiki Send a personal message to Tucson Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 04:59 am   Permalink

Thanks Conga - yes that was the intention, to create rope around the top - thats what they have don't they? I'm sure you can do a much better job of a drummer tiki than I can if you give it a go.

Cheers duddy, seek and TT. Well I got my camera back so took some pics of the BAD stain job. Bloody bloody red...

While I did intentionally want the drum to be a bit lighter, the difference is just TOO much. And I can't explain the difference between the head and the body...

It was a really BAD decision to give the body a 2nd coat of stain. As Ben taught me, the rougher wood really soaks it up.

I'm happy with the color of the drum, but the body is WAY too red. So to reduce this ugly red a bit, I have to decide whether to sand the whole body back smooth (lots of work), or buy another stain color and see what would happen if I stained over the top of the red on the body.

Any suggestions???

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Toataiaha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 05:04 am   Permalink

Harro ,
how about if you wiped the red stain on the body with thinners before it
dries totally . And then , on a test piece , duplicate the red , wipe it off after a short time , and then test stain with brown , or blue , or green , or yellow , or whatever colour is needed with the red , to make the brown you want .

Jock

View Profile of Toataiaha Send a personal message to Toataiaha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 05:17 am   Permalink

Harro "chizzel-chest" drum beater,

I think he looks great. Set him aside, I think the color will grow on you. Don't make any crazy decisions of change right yet. Let the fumes clear. Give him another evaluation in a few weeks or months and then decide if you need to modify the color.

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 07:04 am   Permalink

I agree..I did one PUKE GREEN once and pretty much just decided to move on..there are MANY more tikis to do and one crazy RED one is A-OK

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGarden

Posted: 2008-05-30 08:56 am   Permalink

Love your work Harro...

View Profile of TikiGarden Send a personal message to TikiGarden  Email TikiGarden     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 09:19 am   Permalink

Looks good to me. Has some great contrasts already and the drum looks great! The difference is color: In my wood working I have found that if I use a different grit of sand paper in one spot then another the spot where I used the coarser grit will absorb more stain. This also happens when I don't sand a piece evenly with the same grit. This can work to an advantage by using different grit in the areas that you want a different contrast. Just a thought.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikilizard 2008-05-30 09:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tikilizard 2008-05-31 11:10 ]

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 09:30 am   Permalink

oh! Is not that red... I think you could leave it like that... But if you want to turn it a bit brown, you can use "Betun de judea" (en pasta), you can buy it in any "libreria artistica", is a mix of wax and stain, you apply it and with some fabric and "aguarass/ thinner" you take it out, is like a Brown "patina", that you can graduate to the saturation you like....
Sorry I don't know how to say any of this right in English...

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 09:33 am   Permalink

Harro, I think it turned out cool too! Maybe try some WATCO rejuvinating oil on it. I know when I apply it to mine it take some of the stain off (well it's on my cloth anyways). Maybe it will lighten it up a bit, yours still looks fine though!

Craig

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 5:10 pm   Permalink

No matter what you do with the colors You are
always going to have a kick ass carve with this sucker.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-05-31 01:06 am   Permalink

harro looks awsome its good to experiment keep up the good work my friend

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-31 06:12 am   Permalink

The red doesn't look too bad. The carving is what its all about, bro.

Jock above is right on the moolah, try to dunk it in mineral spirits, or just wipe it with a well-soaked rag. Then experiment with colors on another piece.

I've been going REALLY dark with stains these days, we have a color called "Red Mahogany" thats perfect for this, and the last Tiki I did used "Ebony" which is a super-deep charcoal black. You can stain it, then sand off sections lightly to bring them out or give it an aged look.

Keep going - this one is worth it.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-31 06:55 am   Permalink

First, it IS an EXCELLENT Carving, all it needs is a finish and that's half done already. My vote is with the side that suggests addi9ng another color to create the desired color, AFTER you let it DRY. There are a few ways to hurry the drying but mostly it has to be in a warm atmosphere so Send him here and I'll evaluate it, dry it and get back to you one of these days. One thing you may want to do is stain another piece of wood this red and experiment on That until you get the color you are looking for.
Seriously just keep up the good work and keep taking pictures so we can see how he comes out. Thanks

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-04 2:55 pm   Permalink

Wow thanks EVERYONE for the suggestions and support. Gotta love TC.

I took a few days away from it and didn't think about it too much. When I returned to it I decided to keep it as is and give it a gloss finish. Also the new owner saw it and loved the red and also said it would match their interior. That and the fact that I had moved house and am leaving for London tomorrow all contributed to the "just get it done and finished already" approach.

Final pics:

So big thanks to you Benzart, Cammo, Marcus, seeks, freaks, Clarita, tikilizard, tiki garden, bb moondog, Totoaiaha, and Gman... - couldn't have done it without ya!!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-04 3:06 pm   Permalink

Very cool Harro. The colour look a lot better with that gloss finish and your two-tone effect makes the brighter red appear a deliberate decision and not out of place. The new owner likes it, so stop worrying! The eyes are cool too, they remind me of giant cowrie shells (sorry if this has been mentioned before).

*Respect* for the professionalism getting it done in time for overseas travel too!

Looking forward to your next project..

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation