FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Bamboo House (formerly the Outrigger) , Prince George, BC, Canada (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
The Bamboo House (formerly the Outrigger) , Prince George, BC, Canada (restaurant)
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 12:19 pm   Permalink

Name:The Bamboo House (formerly the Outrigger)
Type:restaurant
Street:1208 6th Ave
City:Prince George, BC
State:
Zip:V2L3M7
Phone:

Description:
A customer sent me this photo of the Bamboo House Chinese restaurant in Prince George, BC. It was formerly the Outrigger and as you can see, they've kept much of the decor intact. I've heard lots about this place but I've never seen a picture...wow! Too bad it a day's drive from here.

Just a note, the customer is Donald Luxton from the Heritage Vancouver Society who did the lecture series on the Waldorf a few years back. He said there might be another one in the near future, I'll keep you posted!!
I found an old thread about the lecture:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=2406&forum=4&hilite=outrigger%20prince%20george

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 3:35 pm   Permalink

That is so cool Pepe, maybe we can convince SDT & TA.MKB to stop by if they drive out for an event.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-23 10:28 pm   Permalink

Wow is right! I've only seen lamps like those in postcards, but never hung vertically like that. It's quite an effect, especially in that cavernous A-frame. In my postcards of the Chin Tiki in Detroit, The Hawaiian Cottage in Cherry Hill NJ, and the Kon Tiki restaurants of Cleveland and Dallas, those lamps are hung horizontally and appear singly. Your restaurant looks like an untouched time-capsule from the 1960s. I'd love to see more!

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 4:09 pm   Permalink

Sabu, he's sending me more photos including an exterior shot. I'll post them as soon as I get them!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 5:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-23 15:35, Tikiwahine wrote:
That is so cool Pepe, maybe we can convince SDT & TA.MKB to stop by if they drive out for an event.

Prince George is quite a bit off the Edmonton-Vancouver route, so it would have to be something really special to make the detour worthwhile. I think I'd rather expend the extra time and money on a side trip to Victoria and/or Seattle.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 06:49 am   Permalink

I really wanna see how it looks from the outside now. Surviving A-frames that are Polynesian on the inside too are rare nowadays!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 2:16 pm   Permalink

Been doing a bit of research on the way to adding this to Critiki... looks like the Northern Health Authority still calls this place the Outrigger Restaurant (they get a "moderate" risk rating, btw), and their business license appears to have both names of Bamboo House & Outrigger... perhaps the name change is fairly recent?

Found these outstanding photos on the
Milltown to Downtown website:

"The exotic Outrigger Restaurant at Sixth Avenue and Dominion Street was opened in mid-1965."

"Modeling a Hawaiian-inspired dress in March 1966 in front of the new Outrigger Restaurant, now called the Bamboo Hut."

"A special luncheon for Queen Aurora and her princesses at the newly opened Outrigger Restaurant in August, 1965."

"Elaborate decorative painting on the new Outrigger Restaurant, 1965."

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 2:19 pm   Permalink

WOW! Those photos are out of this world! I wonder if the pole outside still exists? Did you see the masks inside? NEAT!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 3:44 pm   Permalink

OMG!! And the lettering above the entrance - Droolworthy.

Thanks so much for finding and posting those archival photos, Humuhumu!

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 8:50 pm   Permalink

Great photos Humuhumu!!! I'm curious about the palm tree...in Prince George??

Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 9:53 pm   Permalink

Whoa!! If it still looks like that, I'd say it's worth a detour.

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 06:34 am   Permalink

Good one Humu...the internet explorer!
At the first photo I thought, because of the wide angle used, that it might be pretty small, but when I saw the guy painting the A-frame, it's really decent sized.
So who's gonna go???

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 12:11 pm   Permalink

Here is what the outside looks like in 2004.

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga 2006-01-27 12:18 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 2:16 pm   Permalink

Aaaw...liked the B&W better. But hey, it's still there, it still has the Tiki mask and post, and the interior looks quite original too! I like how the rock walls seem not to be attached to the A-frame (in the B&W). The palm tree looks like it is held up by wires!
TC is so great: I really wanted to see the outside and BAM!, here it is, vintage AND today!

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 2:50 pm   Permalink

In the original B/W photo, the decorative painting on the A-Frame, the lettering on the roof, and the palm-tree "growing" through the roof really brought the whole facade together into one of the most appealling poly-pop expressions of architecture I have ever seen.

Without those elements, the building looks so ordinary! I bet the original architect would be saddened at how his vision has been diluted.

On the other hand, Thank God so much is still there! And like you said, bigbro, the interior looks pretty pristine. I bet the bottom-most spindle on the column rotted out from the yearly snows and was either kicked loose or was finally sawn off. I'm happy the mask is still there. The column needs to be re-painted according to the old b/w photo.

Sabu

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation