FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Bamboo House (formerly the Outrigger) , Prince George, BC, Canada (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
The Bamboo House (formerly the Outrigger) , Prince George, BC, Canada (restaurant)
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-16 4:12 pm   Permalink

I posted in the forum of boredinpg.com (bored in Prince George) asking if The Bamboo House was still open and I got this reply

"I went and checked, it is very, very closed, and very ghetto looking."

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-17 11:03 am   Permalink

...yet the contents might be in pristine shape. And, with his sense of adventure intact, the staunch urban archaeologist never shies away from ghettoey or otherwise savage environments!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-18 6:37 pm   Permalink

I couldn't agree with Bigbro's sentiments more! Brave on you hardy urban archaeologists and check that place out.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 09:04 am   Permalink

This expedition could be risky, much to lose, little to gain. Except for the Bamboo House, the only thing Polynesian we may see is a 'Visit Hawaii' poster in a travel agency, small town boredom (you know it's bad when they have a website dedicated to it), hostile natives (ok.. you wear a Hawaiian shirt in a Prince George bar!!).
I agree with Bigbrotiki, we must be fearless Urban Archeologists!! It's one of only a couple Tiki venues in BC and it deserves some serious attention. Worth the risks, I say!

Taboo Dan, Sweet Daddy Tiki, Tikiwahine, it's up to us! (hey, any excuse to get together!)

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 10:37 am   Permalink

I dunno. I'm going to need some convincing. I'm not feeling all that intrepid at the moment. I'm planning an excursion to the tiki meccas of Portland and Seattle this summer and I need to save my meager resources for that trip.

If you/we do go, here are some things to check out:

Prince George has a
drive-in movie theatre, one of three left in B.C. (and it has mini-golf!).

Meow Records was voted number 1 record store in Canada by CBC Radio 3 listeners.

Esther's Inn "Your Tropical Oasis in Northern B.C."

Orchid Room (note the white ceiling)

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 9:45 pm   Permalink

Still thinking about doing the trip but I am waiting to see some pictures that Reido will be posting of his trip up there just two days ago!!!
Reido went up there for some business and he stayed at the Hotel I had mentioned earlier. He said there were two lounges at the Hotel and there were carved Tiki's, tapacloth covered lamps, an outrigger canoe (possibly, the one above) and some other cool Pacific decor.

He also went to the restaurant which had a sign saying closed but took a few more pictures of the building. The saga continues....

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 10:45 pm   Permalink

Those single bamboo poles hung under the white drop ceiling are hilarious! They make it worse, like a parody of a real bamboo ceiling.

I agree, guys, it only would make it worthwhile if you could get into the Outrigger. Hopefully you can arrange that from the distance, but sometimes someone needs to be at the place to make it happen.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 10:55 pm   Permalink

Dan that's very exciting!

The rock wall on the far left hints at the possibility of a waterfall of some sort? But that paisley fabric on the booth benches is frightening to say the least. The hanging bamboo is pretty sad, it looks like they ran out or just didn't bother covering the whole ceiling.

However - this is BC! Even a half-assed attempt is better than no attempt (I think) The items themselves look great, from the chairs to the clubs and the outrigger (though what's up with the burgundy chair skirts?)

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-30 09:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-29 22:55, Tikiwahine wrote:
Dan that's very exciting!

The rock wall on the far left hints at the possibility of a waterfall of some sort? But that paisley fabric on the booth benches is frightening to say the least. The hanging bamboo is pretty sad, it looks like they ran out or just didn't bother covering the whole ceiling.

However - this is BC! Even a half-assed attempt is better than no attempt (I think) The items themselves look great, from the chairs to the clubs and the outrigger (though what's up with the burgundy chair skirts?)

Haha... I noticed the skirts too. Do they know that the upholstery and carpet clash horribly? It really doesn't hide the 'Hotel Chain Buffet Room' feel very well. Well sadly, next to the Waldorf, this is the most I've seen for a venue still in operation. More questions arise, like where are these items from?
I hope Reido took some close ups of the pieces on the wall!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Reid-O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-09 11:22 pm   Permalink

and so with the task at hand (or more like the flask in hand) I strapped on my snowshoes and started on a journey into the the frigged northern regions of Canada in search of TIKI!

O.K., So I was on a business trip! But, as any good urban Archaeologist would know... ulterior motives are awesome! and exspensing a tiki expedition is like telling your wife that its a coincidence that the hotel your staying in next weekend just happens to have TIKI in the name...

Esther's INN

View Profile of Reid-O Send a personal message to Reid-O  Goto the website of Reid-O     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Reid-O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-09 11:25 pm   Permalink

Here's a few more!

View Profile of Reid-O Send a personal message to Reid-O  Goto the website of Reid-O     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Reid-O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-09 11:27 pm   Permalink

Reid-O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-09 11:30 pm   Permalink

Reid-O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-09 11:40 pm   Permalink

A few bad pics but you get the point! Tiki is Alive in Northern B.C.! Talking to the locals apparently a lot of people in the region holiday at Esthers in the winter to escape the 'snowed in' blues!...Aloha!

Reid-O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-10 12:01 am   Permalink

And of course my expedition wouldn't be complete without a visit to the Bamboo House

Doors locked!!!

We MUST get inside!!!!!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation