FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 Next Page )
KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-01 6:35 pm   Permalink

Also posted this over on Trav's thread on General Tiki. The pictures are from the Kon Tiki restaurant at the Sheraton Gibson Hotel in Cincinnati, Ohio. Explains the confusion a little bit.

Here is a postcard I have from the Kon Tiki.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-01 6:41 pm   Permalink

When I saw these pics my first thought was that the interior was designed by George Nakashima. The reason I say that is because George loved to use those half round green vinyl booths in his designs. George and his design partner Florian Gabriel did the design work for Steven Crane and the Kon Tiki chain. I think these photos are from the Kon Tiki that was located in Cincinatti, not far from Columbus and cold have easily been mistaken for the Kahiki by someone who didn't know anything about tiki restaurants.

Here is a postcard for the Kon Tiki in Cincinatti.

But let's take a look at the pics/details and try to develop some hard evidence.

Diagonal bamboo trim on the wall appears to be the same.

The screening and the roof structure with the extended bamboo poles appears to be the same.

This one is a little harder to make out, but the table top green tiki lamps appear to be the same.

And the tiki appears to be the same. Kind of difficult from the angle in the shot and the plastic foliage is a little different.

My money is on the Kon Tiki Cincinatti. There was also a Kon Tiki in Cleveland which may have also had the same interior decor, so that is a slight possibility too. However, I don't think it would match this closely.

Zulu

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-01 6:43 pm   Permalink

DC - sorry for the duplication, I was working on my pics while you posted your postcard.

Zulu

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-01 7:11 pm   Permalink

Zulu,

No worries, thanks for that exhaustive research and comparison on the postcard and the photos.

Or Got Rum also posted this info on Trav's other thread about the mystery photos.

PS - The Kona Luanii room is looking awesome!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-04 08:13 am   Permalink

I have those table top green tiki lamps DC.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-09-04 1:45 pm   Permalink

Mr. Leitwein was the commercial contractor
who built the Kahiki.
(shawnee construction I think it was called)
He also built the Grass Shack, Top of the Isle,
And the Desert inn in Columbus Ohio.
As well as all of the Hustler clubs.

I was told this by Mr Leitwein.
He said that the first contractor quit
shortly after starting the Kahiki. (Jack Liberatore was his name)
This may be the reason you can not find the blue prints.
Also Mr. Leitwein does not have the blue prints or anything
else from the Kahiki.

Mr. Leitweins Birthday is on Sept 22.
I think he will be 86.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2009-09-04 14:00 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-26 06:50 am   Permalink

Just a little side note. I contacted the Ohio Historical Society and told them about the mistake with the labeling and posting on the Kahiki page. It has been corrected and is now the Kon Tiki page.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-26 09:19 am   Permalink

Nice work Uncle Trav! Getting things like that fixed always feels good.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-28 05:34 am   Permalink

Found this great image on the Columbusmusichistory.com web page. A great shot with lots of good stuff to find in the picture.

Here is the caption.

North High School student Sally Ruault entered a Dan Dee Potato Chips contest in 1966 and won first prize: dinner with the Dantes at the Kahiki restaurant. At the table from left to right: Miss Dan Dee Potato Chips manager (name unknown), unknown lady, Dave Workman (Dantes, lead guitar), Carter Holliday (Dantes, bass), Shana McCabe (Miss Dan Dee Potato Chips), waiter, Sally Ruault, unkown lady, Lynn Wehr (Dantes, rhythm guitar5), Barry Hayden (Dantes, vocals), Joey Hinton (Dantes, drummer)

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-28 07:05 am   Permalink

Great pic Uncle Trav...is that Drew Carey on the left? Maybe he really meant Columbus ROCKS!

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-08 3:25 pm   Permalink

Tikiskip,

Just went through the entire post and really enjoyed it. Thanks for all of the great research.

This rather rare Kahiki matchbook sold on ebay recently. I must admit I have never seen one quite like this before. Great renderings of the building an the Moai.

DC

1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-08 4:28 pm   Permalink

I bid on it DC ...you know the outcome .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-09 3:25 pm   Permalink

Glad you like.
And thank you for posting that matchbook!!!
I have one of those somewhere.
So that makes like 4 different matchbooks for the Kahiki?
That is the cool thing about kahiki, they had TONS of different
Mugs, napkins, matchbooks, ECT.....

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-04 05:20 am   Permalink

Not much going on in Kahiki land.
New stuff comes slower to light as we
have seen so much.
A tiki peep and I went to the Windward passage for dinner last night.
Well this person had found a cool Hitiki cannibal statue.( Long live the beaver god!)
People at the bar were calling it the beaver god, Man we had fun!
Hitiki sold stuff to the Kahiki gift shop.
They don't want to post it because when stuff is posted people go dam I
just saw four of those at goodwill and passed em up cuz they were like a buck each.
I see that point, and that's cool.
I'm kinda over the collecting mode at this point and just want to out
as much info about the Kahiki and all tiki for that matter.
Sooo... we start talling about the Kahiki. and this guy tells us he knows who has the blueprints
for the Kahiki!
Well tiki peep and I went whaatt?
It's is just getting odd how many times this happens to me.
Will let you know if we find anything.
Tiki peep most likly has the thing framed and in their home by now.
Jeff you missed a good night!!!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-04 07:36 am   Permalink

It would certainly be interesting to see more of Jack Hite's Tiki work...and those blue prints.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation