FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-08 7:16 pm   Permalink

I will post pic's of the Blueprints if we find them.

And check this out.
I am going to be there and will be helping decorate.
Will have some lights there, and some will be for sale.
So if you go and you see me there stop and say hi.
This will be a nice event.

http://www.thehillsmarket.com/inside_the_hills_market/2010/04/kahiki-day-at-the-hills-market.html

True fans know that Kahiki never left; their delicious and popular frozen food products are sold throughout the United States. But it's been ten long years since the restaurant closed her doors, and for one day, The Hills Market will bring back some of the magic with Kahiki Day.

A Taste of Kahiki | 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. | Free

• We will demo Kahiki products and other Polynesian-style foods throughout the store. From Kahiki's famous egg rolls to ham and pineapple hors d'oeuvres, we'll be offering a taste of island life.

• Matt Thomas, developmental sous chef for Kahiki Foods will be conducting a variety of live cooking demonstrations in our Wine Department.

• Constance Begue will host a Summer Ale sampling in the Wine Department.

Kahiki Dinner | 6 p.m. | $35 | R.S.V.P.

In the evening, our Veranda will be transformed into a Kahiki themed tiki bar by Hills Own Floral Shoppe, complete with live music by nationally known ukulele and guitar player Francis Llacuna. Our tiki bar will serve three authentic drinks, borrowed directly from Kahiki's extensive drink menu.

The $35 includes a three course meal featuring Kahiki’s appetizers, chicken and seafood dishes made by The Hills Market and a choice of one tropical drink that comes with a commemorative tiki mug to take home. Additional drinks, wine and beer will be available at our cash bar.

For dessert, Columbus' own Jeni Britton of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams will be preparing a unique Kahiki-inspired ice cream.

Jeff Tsao, son of the Kahiki Supper Club founder and current director of R&D for Kahiki Foods, will be on-site during the dinner conducting cooking demonstrations throughout the

Reservations are required for the dinner, and seating is limited. Reservations can be made by contacting us at 614.846.3220 or e-mailing us.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2010-04-08 19:20 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-10 12:23 pm   Permalink

Met Kay oliver she was a bartender in the 80s.
I remember Skip and Jim said that she was the only person at that time that
could make the navy grog mix. She even can back and made it for them after she
no longer worked there. (Pic #1)
This is Kays daughter Wendy she was a mystery drink girl for some time. (pic #2)

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-13 4:32 pm   Permalink

Just found this out.

Nevermind.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2010-06-14 14:40 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-01 6:33 pm   Permalink

Here is another candle holder from Hoffman that sold on ebay. Was it used at the Kahiki??

Also found this old picture of the dinning booths online.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 08:01 am   Permalink

WOW!!

Never seen those before!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-02 9:47 pm   Permalink

Yeah never seen those befor.
Let us know what they go for.

LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 11:33 pm   Permalink

They got their asking price - $1200.

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-10 6:22 pm   Permalink

Thought I would add the Kahiki postcard collection.

The drinks and food.

The building.

Saw this old postcard rendering on ebay recently, first time I had seen this one that was not a reproduction.

The mystery bowl ladies.

The end.

DC

Edited to add a few more postcards shown in the thread from Skip and Trav. I think that's all of the Kahiki postcards?

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-08-11 16:14 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-11 10:41 pm   Permalink

This line up of postcards is a good occasion to point out again the unusual fact of how close the finished building came to the original rendering (which I had never seen in color before!):

Architectural renderings usually embellish the scale and perspective of a planned building, and the final result, the actual building, is not as fanciful most times--that's why we love them! But here the building turned out as humongous as the artist had imagined it in the rendering. The angle and size are so similar, one would almost be tempted to think the painting was done FROM the postcard photo, but the difference in the sign and other details supports my belief that the painting is a pre-build artist's conception, executed by the architect's office for the client. Wonder who has the original...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-08-14 00:09 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-14 12:31 am   Permalink

I wanted to ad this piece that recently sold on e-bay to this encyclopedic thread:

At first look a not unusual plaster Moai, like they existed in many forms as decor items in the 60s. But the inscription in the Kahiki logo font, and most of all the signature "HITIKI" make this an authentic Kahiki souvenir item that once must have been sold at the Kahiki's Beachcomber gift shop.

HITIKI is the signature of artist Jack Hite, who carved all of the cool modernist Tikis (many of them Moai) in and outside of the Kahiki. This baby is obviously a miniature version of the flaming topknot entrance Moais, and as such truly an original, iconic symbol of the Kahiki.

I had never seen this piece before, and hope someone like Jeff or Skip with an enduring love for the Kahiki has won it, my apologies for bidding it up.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-14 07:21 am   Permalink

I don't hunt for tiki on ebay any more really.
Every time I would see some thing I would want
the price was too high for my pockets.

That is cool though!
What did it go for?
Any more with Kahiki items that are rare on ebay there are the
same three people who wind up with it most of the time.

Jeff and I are out of that loop.

Thanks for posting it!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-21 5:15 pm   Permalink

I just scored the Kahiki dinner and drink menu set, cool!

One of my all-time favorite drink menus. Surprised these have not been posted here yet.

DC

kq4ym

Posted: 2010-08-28 06:15 am   Permalink

The marimba photo and the Kahiki Beachcomber Trio pictures bring back fond memories as I played marimba and timbales with Marsh Padilla and guitarist Leroy Plymale at the Kahiki in 1968-1969. The marimba Jeff got from Marsh belonged to me until I sold it to Marsh about 1970. It was way too large to fit in the piano bar at the Kahiki where we played so I used a standard size marimba at the restaurant.

The photo of the trio here is of Marsh Padilla on electric bass at left, in the back is vibraphonist John Dragu (Dragoo?), and at right guitarist Don Hales, who was the teacher of Leroy Plymale who joined the band in 1966.

-Don Browne
LaBelle, Florida

View Profile of kq4ym Send a personal message to kq4ym  Email kq4ym Goto the website of kq4ym     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kq4ym

Posted: 2010-08-28 06:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-19 19:01, Jeff Central wrote:
Cool, thanks for the tip Joe.

Here's an early picture of the Beachcomber Trio at the Kahiki.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

The photo appears to be the band about 1965 with Marsh Padilla at left on bass guitar, vibraphonist John Dragu in rear, and Don Hales at right. I played marimba and timbales at the Kahiki in 1968-1969 with March and guitarist Leroy Plymale.

-Don Browne
LaBelle, Florida

[ This Message was edited by: kq4ym 2010-08-28 06:23 ]

View Profile of kq4ym Send a personal message to kq4ym  Email kq4ym Goto the website of kq4ym     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kq4ym

Posted: 2010-08-28 06:31 am   Permalink

I played the marimba with Marsh Padilla and guitarist Leroy Plymale at the Kahiki in 1968-1969. The marimba (pictured above with Jeff) Jeff bought from Marsh was owned by me back in 1968-1970 and I sold it to Marsh when I moved from Ohio to Florida. The marimba was to large to fit in the piano bar at the Kahiki so I had a normal sized marimba at the restaurant.

The Beachcomber Trio played from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Saturday and we got free dinners while working there. We were all Musician's Union members and so the job payed very well for 30 hours work a week, and was great fun too!

-Don Browne
LaBelle, Fl
http://swflorida.blogspot.com

[ This Message was edited by: kq4ym 2010-08-28 06:32 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation