FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-29 09:14 am   Permalink

PTD,

Thanks for re-posting those pics.

Here are a few fuzzy slides from ebay.

Nice shot of the bar manager.

Aerial view.

Fireplace.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-29 11:54 am   Permalink

Yowza !!! Who got these !? Assuming they are in focus, these are great:
I never knew that nude-with-hut mural existed! It looks like the same photo session than the better known vertical postcard. And the Moai fire place one is the same shot that was used for the Tiki issue of "Institutions" magazine in 1961. And that areal shot, wow!

I wonder if these were originally sold in one of those souvenir strips of slides, at the Beachcomber gift shop, the magenta-turned film reminds me of those.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-30 11:25 am   Permalink

Right you are Birbro. The images came from a four-slide Pana-Vue souvenir pack from the giftshop.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-30 12:33 pm   Permalink

Ha! Thanks. Here's the postcard I mentioned:

The mixologist is wearing the same shirt, so it seems both photos are from the same photo session. I wonder if they deemed the nude mural too risque for a postcard and shot a version with a more generic background. Unfortunately I am not at home with my archive, so I can't check the caption for the guy's name.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-30 2:09 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

You still in Paris? The bar manager's name is a classic, Senor George Ono (which is a very tasty fish and also means Delicious or Very Good in Hawaiian)

There were two of the Pana Vue slide sets. Several of the slides were the same as the postcards, so the postcards and the slides were definitely shot at the same time. It's too bad they didn't use all of the images as postcards.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-30 2:39 pm   Permalink

I am in Hamburg now, starting a shoot. It's friggin' freezin' here, and we will have a bunch of night exteriors. Grumble.

Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-01-30 8:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-29 11:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
Yowza !!! Who got these !?

(that would be me....)

I was able to carefully remove the slides, scan them, do my best to color correct them, and then reseal them back in their original packaging. Thankfully there was only a metal staple at the bottom of the package holding in the slides.

The red drink on the far left of the frame is actually got dry ice fumes bubbling out of it.

It's hard to see it in this picture but there are a bunch of cherries stuck to the side of the pig that spell out "Kahiki!"

This is my favorite slide.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-30 9:15 pm   Permalink

Tobor64,

WOW, those are great, thanks for taking the effort to scan and post them. I take it you don't have the other slide set that sold? The bar scene and the fireplace slide are the bomb.

DC

Tobor64

Posted: 2011-01-30 11:07 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately I wasn't aware of the auction for the other set until it was already over. Sure wish I could've snagged them, too.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2011-01-31 12:00 am   Permalink

Ah, Tobor64, you did a fine job! Thanks a million for scanning these. Brilliant!

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 02:30 am   Permalink

X-L- ENT, I dare say! Look at that glorious mural! I used Mr. Ono's postcard already in my "Sound of Tiki" CD booklet, to illustrate my "Exotica music was a layered sound sensation for the ears like the tropical cocktails' tastes were on the tongue"-concept, but this one has got to go into a future book, please!

You did a stellar color restauration job, amazing what still can be pulled out of that magenta wash! I would bring down the brightness a little, and make it a tad warmer, maybe, like so:

(Though it is good to be sure that there are no art treasures hiding on the left side of the plant )

Too bad I am not at home, where I could scan the slide I took at the Kahiki that shows that African mask -in a different location, that mural was long gone when I went there.

That helicopter shot makes the place almost look like a model, with the people getting out of the car, and the cars looking like train model size -and that line of people at the entrance, all Preiser figures!

Luckily I have the party table photo as a large size reversal film original. I'd like to point out that the luau pig on the table has the name "Kahiki" written on it in cocktail cherries!

AND I have a scan here of the tattered cover of the food industry magazine "Institutions-Magazine of Mass Feeding/Mass Housing" (what an attractive title!) from the O.A. archives that shows the full shot of the fireplace. Their article "Polynesian Extravaganzas- An increasingly popular craze" was the only piece of media coverage I ever came across that did a multi-page report about the phenomenon in its own day:

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 06:11 am   Permalink

WOW!!! These are incredibly fantastic photos/slides!!

Thanks for taking the time to scan and color correct these.

Truly unseen Kahiki stuff here!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 4:01 pm   Permalink

Terrific images and great restoration work, Tabor64! Since you have scanned the slides, I assume your scans are much higher resolution than what TC shows here. Would you possibly mind uploading your color-corrected scans somewhere that we might be able to download them? Rapidshare or something similar perhaps? Regardless, it's great to see these images.

- Rob

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SufferinSimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-06 11:21 am   Permalink

Here are some scans from my slide set. These are straight off the scanner with
no color adjustments. Enjoy!

Exotic Polynesian Drinks

Entrance

Outside Garden

Guardian of the Quiet Village

Sacrificial God

Kahiki Luau

Mystery Girl

Lights at Twilight

Tropical Fish

View Profile of SufferinSimon Send a personal message to SufferinSimon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-06 1:19 pm   Permalink

Awesome! Thanks Simon!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation