FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-14 12:19 pm   Permalink

That's all great stuff!!
Thanks to all who have added to this thread.
Doing so helps us all see/remember all things Kahiki, it also keeps the Kahiki alive.
Here is a valentines gift for you all.
Don't remember where I got these but they must have come from the Dispatch in Col Ohio.
Maybe the Bistro boys? Who knows.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2014-04-16 17:07 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-14 12:43 pm   Permalink

Cool, thanks skip!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-24 2:45 pm   Permalink

Here is a box that housed a fire extinguisher in the Kahiki.
Got a few new things to show it all comes slower now.

Box of items from last sale.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-02-29 09:17 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-24 3:35 pm   Permalink

Back in the day their were hunting and fishing clubs.
My dad was Known as the last of the big game hunters to some.
He came back with more stories than game really.
Here is one of the menus from one of the yearly dinners they would have.
The members would bring wild game back for the cooks at Darby Dan house to make
up each year.
This is how I got into the exotic world of tiki and it was a part of the mood
at the time of the old great tiki bars.
But then at that time many of the restaurants had themes back then, (English,Spanish,ECT...)

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-13 09:11 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-24 3:50 pm   Permalink

More photos from stored Kahiki stuff.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-24 4:01 pm   Permalink

Thought I should add this here.
This is Hakalugi post below.
I was at a store downtown and in the back talking with the owner
when the girl from the counter out front came back and said there
was a guy that wanted to talk to me, The plate on my car is Tikiskp.
He was with this group and wanted to talk about lighting.
Good luck Grass skirt!!!!!
Hope some of the info here can help as well.

Just saw where the FOM met with Liz Lessner on this bar, Well that means they won't work with me now
that's for sure.

Name:The Grass Skirt
Type:restaurant
Street:105 N. Grant Street
City:Columbus
State:OH
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Opening Spring 2012

From article here:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2011/10/volcanos-waterfalls-tiki-torches.html

The Grass Skirt seeks to revive the fire-and-tiki kitsch of tiki bars of yore with Polynesian fare and flair at 105 N. Grant Street in spring 2012. “We’re working on a volcano,” Lessner said. “We can’t promise it yet because it may not work.”

Also part of the South Pacific plans — steaming drinks, a waterfall, Spam, pineapples and maraschino cherries. “We all grew up loving the Kahiki,” she said of the once-popular Columbus restaurant that lives on as a frozen food brand. “We try to find niches. Our restaurant group goes for a fun vibe.” The venture includes the rest of the Columbus Food League team — Carmen Owens, Amy Brennick, Tim Lessner and Harold LaRue. One appeal of the old MadLab Theater and Gallery space was that it was a high-ceiling and open space — giving the business brain trust the freedom to be more creative, including not just the Polynesian decor but the ability to build the kitchen from scratch.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2011-12-24 16:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-24 13:32 ]

spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-29 08:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-24 16:01, tikiskip wrote:
Thought I should add this here.
This is Hakalugi post below.
I was at a store downtown and in the back talking with the owner
when the girl from the counter out front came back and said there
was a guy that wanted to talk to me, The plate on my car is Tikiskp.
He was with this group and wanted to talk about lighting.
Good luck Grass skirt!!!!!
Hope some of the info here can help as well.

Name:The Grass Skirt
Type:restaurant
Street:105 N. Grant Street
City:Columbus
State:OH
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Opening Spring 2012

From article here:
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2011/10/volcanos-waterfalls-tiki-torches.html

The Grass Skirt seeks to revive the fire-and-tiki kitsch of tiki bars of yore with Polynesian fare and flair at 105 N. Grant Street in spring 2012. “We’re working on a volcano,” Lessner said. “We can’t promise it yet because it may not work.”

Also part of the South Pacific plans — steaming drinks, a waterfall, Spam, pineapples and maraschino cherries. “We all grew up loving the Kahiki,” she said of the once-popular Columbus restaurant that lives on as a frozen food brand. “We try to find niches. Our restaurant group goes for a fun vibe.” The venture includes the rest of the Columbus Food League team — Carmen Owens, Amy Brennick, Tim Lessner and Harold LaRue. One appeal of the old MadLab Theater and Gallery space was that it was a high-ceiling and open space — giving the business brain trust the freedom to be more creative, including not just the Polynesian decor but the ability to build the kitchen from scratch.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2011-12-24 16:05 ]

That's great for you to approach them, I know that they do stick to local artists for decorations and I just know they will do a great job with it, and I cannot wait for restaurant to be open!!!! I'll live there, hehehe

View Profile of spiked Send a personal message to spiked      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-29 3:34 pm   Permalink

Tikiskip,

Thanks for posting the pics of the stored Kahiki treasure.

Forgive me if I missed this earlier in this long thread, but where is ALL of that great Kahiki stuff stored? Is that all yours? What is its future?

And, here is a Kahiki Candle

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-30 8:20 pm   Permalink

Yes I'm sure the place will be wall to wall with fezs.
And your lights.

Hey DC,
That holder is a newer item I think, As in the Taso years.
It was made by Marrio Tores may not be spelled right.
On the Kahiki stuff, I do have a good bit of it.
But most of it went To Vermont.
I was going to go in with some folks and buy the rest of the stuff but when I started
thinking well I want that and maybe those I could see that that was the same stuff they would want.
In helping move the stuff one person even thought I was trying to take an item from them. (Not Greg)
So it was all F%$# up, Green eyed monster and all.
Later one person thought that person stole from them Not me this time.
So who the heck knows where that all is now, I got ideas but should not say much now.
I do want to say Greg from Vermont is a fine person even if he is a miss guided left wing liberal.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-07-24 13:33 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-30 9:17 pm   Permalink

So I guess part of the story can be told now.
Back in Aug 2006 a lady posted this right here on page #3.

"We have all of the items from the Kahiki that have been in our storage for a proposed new Kahiki. The present Kahiki Co. has ordered us to dispose of these items, which include the large Tiki God from the fireplace, the 2 smaller Tiki Gods which flanked the front door, the bar, the booth separators, the 7' diameter ships steering wheel, the metal sculpture from the top of the building, etc.

If anyone is interested in purchasing items, please contact us, as they will be available in about 2 weeks, when we finish sorting and have them ready for viewing, by appointment."

So I got with this person and said I was inrested she showed me the stuff and I told her I wanted to buy some Items.
But she wanted to sell all of it a once I told her that may be hard to do, So she was going to have a sale then she was not going to have a sale. So I got what I could before too many people came and the frenzy would start.(4 items)
At this time the Vermont people were here doing the book thing and Mrs Taso said they could have the Big stuff that was in the same warehouse as the other stuff, so now we were going to try to get the stuff.
In trying to talk the lady down in price I said if this stuff was in Cali you could get more, Dumb move.
So she gets on line here and starts PMing people she thought may want said stuff.
By what the lady told me I guessed who the Cali pepole were and PMed one of them, I am gald I did as she is a great person and I'm glad I know her.
Well they were flying in and the price goes up Thousands.
One of the Cali buyers gets here and says we don't want the stuff and leaves.
Well by this time I had told Vermont I was out and did not want in, plus one vermonter had said we will pay whatever it takes to get the stuff, Dumb move.
So here I am in this warehouse trying to leave so I can call Vermont and tell them the price of tiki just went down.
But the lady is badly trying to keep me there so I won't call them.
When I leave I race home, I don't have a cell phone and call Vermont, No answer, Then I call her at work and tell the news.
Vermont and lady go back and forth on the price and the lady even tells Vermont that she was tempted to throw me out of the warehouse that day, But on that day I was Ladys best friend till Cali left.
So Vermont wins they get all the stuff, It takes many trips to get the stuff and Greg stays with us a few times and I help as best I can with moving the stuff even called in some help.
Greg was kind and gave the helpers a few things.
After all was said and done and people find out about the deal they are now pissed at me for not saying hey this lady is selling tiki come and drive the price up.
Vermont gave me the Moai from the Kahiki really, they had been good to me, so I was glad to help em.
I know the whole hey it's the Kahiki the stuff should say here bla, bla, bla.
The thing is it needs to be saved and used somewear. ( Cali would have been the best option)

So I say here and now people with all of the Kahiki stuff keep some for yourself, but get this stuff to a better place.
I too have been slowly getting rid of some of mine, It's hard to part with really.

PS If you are one of the people in this story and I got something wrong feel free to post it here it was some time ago, Not you warehouse lady as you are NUTZ! Oh go ahead it would be fun to hear your nutty take on the whole deal and how you thought you were going to make MILLONS on the great Kahiki sale.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-09-12 16:28 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-31 1:10 pm   Permalink

Can it be?
Is this a new item from the Kahiki to add here.
This weekends find.

Matt Helm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-31 3:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-24 15:35, tikiskip wrote:
Back in the day their were hunting and fishing clubs.
My dad was Known as the last of the big game hunters to some.
He came back with more stories than game really.
Here is one of the menus from one of the yearly dinners they would have.
The members would bring wild game back for the cooks at Darby Dan house to make
up each year.
This is how I got into the exotic world of tiki and it was a part of the mood
at the time of the old great tiki bars.
But then at that time many of the restaurants had themes back then, (English,Spanish,ECT...)

I'm digging this because #1 - it's just too damn cool... #2 - that's the week I was born

View Profile of Matt Helm Send a personal message to Matt Helm      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 11:39 am   Permalink

Thanks Matt!
More on Headhunters later.

Found one more Kahiki item never seen this before.
My wife found this necklace.
It looks to be the same size as the swizzle sticks
But... the Raised Kahiki on the back is not in the same place as the Swizzles is.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 11:46 am   Permalink

As I looked at the Kahiki swizzle sticks I thought I saw somthing I
have seen before.
So I went and checked out my Trader Vic paddle Swizzle stick.
And there it was, I was right the bottoms of the paddles are the same,
well one is bigger, but the patterns on the paddles are the same.
The Kahiki stick is on the right.
So who copied who?

I just became a tiki geek.
True geek that I am I am going back over this
thread and reposting photos that are gone and
even adding more in the right places.
So you may want to go back some day and take a look there is
some new stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-02-23 16:37 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-29 09:21 am   Permalink

Kahiki add from the Dispatch Columbus, Ohio.(4/12/2000)
And a cool veiw inside the Kahiki.
I have the very large yellow float light in this photo.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-02-29 09:28 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation