FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-12 06:26 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting that.
I did see it, not much new there.
Looks like he read Dispatch reporter Elizabeth Gibsons article on the Kahiki and came to TC.
Heck I told her that information.
For the life of me I don't know why they don't go to Lee Henry, Bill Sapp, Sondro, Skip davis ECT...
and do some reporting, write something new.
These guys are right here and very approachable, (well Sondro can be grochy I heard)
Man do some reporting.
I first met Bill at a tiki event here, and No one was takin to him, My wife and I went right
up sat down and talked for hours, it was great.
And That day where Barb and I talked to Bill is where most of these articles are written from.
In fact that new articel has mistakes.
"The trio players were Bob Chalfant on piano, Henry Burch on Vibraphone, conga, bells and trumpet, and Marsh Padillo on guitar, flute and percussion. In 1965, they cut a record and it was recently re-released in vinyl by Dionysous Records"
As we all know this was not a re-released record but made from a lost tape.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-12 12:54 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoungeShark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-12 06:31 am   Permalink

Yeah, Jeff pointed that out over on FOM...

"Nice article even though the information is a little misleading. At least when it comes to the Beachcomber Trio album. Not sure where he got those names but the musicians on the Beachcomber Trio album were Marsh Padilla, John Dragu, and John Hale. Also, the Beachcomber Trio album was NOT a reissue!! It was a new release from a "lost" tape that was discovered in 2010. Trust me I know, I released it!!!!!" ~ Jeff Chenault

View Profile of LoungeShark Send a personal message to LoungeShark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-04 7:50 pm   Permalink

Tikiskip,

Really appreciate this thread. I spotted this souvenir Tiki moai from the Kahiki gift shop. Lice little piece.

Don;t remember seeing this one before.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-04 10:33 pm   Permalink

True, that is an interesting version of a Jack Hite Kahiki souvenir Moai! I have this kind:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-05 5:25 pm   Permalink

Thanks DC.
A handful of people will get pissed when I say this, but those are old and rare
I think.
I'm no expert on the Kahiki but have lived near it my whole life and went there off and on
my whole life.
So I can say I never saw those in the gift shop or even anywhere till now.
Would guess those to be early Sapp, Henry era.

Lastly some get angry when I say items are old Kahiki as they don't want others
to know so they would have a better chance at finding these items, Maybe.
I would say that Tiki news, Book of tiki, Tiki Quest and Oooga Mooga ECT...
helps the collecting and yes drives up the price of tiki.
Good Bad? depends if you are now in collecting or selling mode.
But at this time I'm in more of a fact finding mode, one that just says hay look at this
cool thing from the Kahiki.
This is one reason I feel Kahiki items are so highly collected first they had so many
made by so may people lots of these are one offs or very few made items.
How many places had three different mug makers, or even lasted long enough for three mug makers.
Another reason is Kahiki was around so long people grew to love it.
Lastly I would say the fact that Kahiki items are well documented, you see the item, fall in
love with the item, must have the item.
All this make Kahiki sell high.
How many of you have a Tiki quest with post it notes on the mugs you want in it?
_________________________________________________________________________________
"Roses are red, these floats are blue, Send me some money and they belong to you"..."TIKISKIP"

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-12 13:37 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-05 5:43 pm   Permalink

One more thing, Sven and Dustycajun I appreciate all the informative posts you add to TC.
And especially to this thread, after all if nobody adds to these threads ya don't have
much.
But together TC can document most if not all the tiki world has/had to offer.
Don't know what good can come of documenting all the tiki world is or was...
But we are going to do it and find out.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-12 12:55 ]

Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-05 6:08 pm   Permalink

I have to say your passion is genuine and I personally truly appreciate that...and I agree Sven and DC (and others) share the knowledge, that is the main reason I love TC....expose and inform what was and what is lost. My humble opinion. Keep fighting the fight. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-17 6:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks OGR!
Just got this book in the mail.
On Pg 15 is this carving.
At the last Kahiki sale I bought this carving.
Not the same one, but it does have more of a old look feel to it.
Makes me wonder who made this copy.
Was told by Bill Sapp that a lot of the Kahiki decor came from Mexico.

_________________________________________________________________________________
"Roses are red, these floats are blue, Send me some money and they belong to you"..."TIKISKIP"

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-17 6:42 pm   Permalink

Hi Skip, I don't know if you got this influential book BECAUSE you know the posts here about it, or if you didn't - so just to make sure, here again is my post regarding its influence on O.A., and the strange history it has regarding my own life story:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=42034&forum=1&vpost=621592

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-18 10:58 am   Permalink

Thanks Sven I hoped you would shed some light on this.
And I had not seen that thread before.
It was Jonpauls thread on books that led me to this book.
Also years ago when I went to a carving class Swanky put on
there were carvers there that had a few books on Oceanic arts
with them.
I knew at that time I wanted to get some books on the subject.
Saw this on the link you posted.
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So to sum it up----OA did not carve any large tiki's for the Mai Kai. Once we introduced Demetrio to Carter, Carter had some masks made from the New Guinea museum designs from the book Oceanic Art. When Carter moved to WestWood OA had many more patterns carved by Demetrio.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Demetrio may have been the carver of the large board I have from the Kahiki.
This is why I say always sign your work.
Both OA and Bensons did work for the Kahiki.

And on the odd way this seem to fall into place for you on the book ect..
The same thing happend to me with the Kahiki, it's the reason I started the Kahiki thread.
Info and people and stuff just started poping up, Droped in my lap.
Not wanting this info ect to be lost I put it here.
Thanks for your help.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2012-12-18 10:59 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-18 12:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-12-18 10:58, tikiskip wrote:
So Demetrio may have been the carver of the large board I have from the Kahiki.
This is why I say always sign your work.

Remember, all the medium sized wall carvings like the masks and shields and weapons, plus the smaller Tikis which came from O.A. were lathe-carved copies. Demetrio probably carved the hero, exactly copying the photo in the Oceanic Art book.

That book simply was THE best, readily available source of Oceanic designs for the Tiki carver in the late 50s, because A.) there were only one or two other art books out on the subject then, and B.), the photos in it were large and crisp, and showed a lot of detail. O.A. practically founded their business on it, and the Mai Kai, as we found out, took much of what is in and on its walls from those pages:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26630&forum=1&start=15

Believe me, it was downright eery to find out (long AFTER I had written the book on the American pop version of Oceanic art) that this influential book had not only originated in my hometown, but from the home of a childhood friend of mine. Tiki works in strange ways indeed...

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-19 10:00 am   Permalink

These last few comments are why I come to TC.

Thanks for the info Sven and Skip, and the old threads. I found a copy for $15, and am adding it to the collection. I'm very excited to see it first hand.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-06 08:23 am   Permalink

Anyone have any updates on the fate of the fireplace?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-07 12:21 am   Permalink

Aloha Skip! Got this on ebay last year or so ?....Hitiki kavakava man. Was wondering if you ever saw this one there? When I received it , it had that old dust and soot finish and the seller was from Ohio. The person selling also sold 3 other pieces...1 Maori, 1 Cook Island and a Mayan calender looking one...

The prices ranged from $20 -150.... Any thoughts? Freddie

[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2013-01-09 02:03 ]

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-09 05:16 am   Permalink

Nice.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2013-01-09 05:33 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation