FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-09 05:29 am   Permalink

This is a post I just found here on TC.
It needs to be here as well so here it is.

Hi, new member here. I have the recipe for the Tahitian Mermaid, from the Kahiki. It was from on old Columbus Dispatch article.

2 6-ounce beef filets

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Filling

3 1/2 ounces crabmeat

3 1/2 ounces cream cheese

1/3 cup bread crumbs

1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco

1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1/16 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon chopped onion

Combine the Filling ingredients. Set aside.

Butterfly the filets of beef (they will look like an open shell.) Season with 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, seasoning salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Pan-fry the inner part of the steaks over high heat for 30 seconds. Stuff half of the filling into each steak and slightly close it. Pan-fry each side of the steaks on high heat for 1 minute.
Mickey Cheung, chef at the former Kahiki restaurant, provided the Ohio Department of Agriculture with this recipe for our 1998 Ohio's Heartland Cuisine cookbook. The 1/16 tablespoon lemon juice is an odd measurement, but that's what the recipe says. I have not tried this, but I understand that Mickey got rave reviews at the Ohio State Fair.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2013-01-09 05:31 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-09 05:34 am   Permalink

On the fireplace work has been done i'm told but it's not done/up.
I would think that once it does go up all would know about it here.
Mine is not up but a new neighbor just moved in and he want to get it
fixed so maybe that will help, I'm stumped.

And I did see those on eBay HOUSE OF KU.
I think one of the auctions even said hey Tikiskip, Don't know the seller.
But I do not remember them from the Kahiki.
That is not to say they were never there, I do have a wall hanging from the Kahiki
that is made of plaster as well, it looks different than those.
Bill Sapp did say they went to mexico to get some of the decor.
Some of the items in old photos of the Kahiki show stuff I never saw there.
So who knows.
They look cool.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 07:47 am   Permalink

So wait, where did the fireplace go to? I know I read it at some point, but I forget.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-09 09:26 am   Permalink

The moai made it back safe with minimal damage to the back.I talked to the gas company today about lighting it up once again and they could not see there being a problem.I am also interested in bringing the fireplace to Hampton NH,but there is no way to move it without a crane and a semi with a flatbed.The fireplace is absolutely unbelievable to see in person.Thanks again to tikicat67.I would like to come up saturday to get the topknot.Maybe about the same time as last weekend.

So thats the other Moai( This was the one that sat on the right of the door of the Kahiki as you walked in)
Aways thought it was odd that I got the left wing tiki, and Greg got the Right wing.
I think the fireplace is in Vermont still.
Here is the link to the whole thread.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=36774&forum=12&start=30&hilite=kahiki fireplace

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 3:00 pm   Permalink

Mahalo TikiSkip! Looks so darn Kool! Freddie

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-22 08:32 am   Permalink

Here is a necklace from the Kahiki.
It was from the later years.
I hope Tipsy Mcstager AKA DSK designs
will post and shed some light as to when he made
these for the Kahiki, and how many ECT...
Also there were some knock offs made by the Tropical Bistro boys
and sold at their restaurant in many colors.
I even saw a bowl they had made, but they had only one of those.
Tried to get a bowl made for me and Tipsy but could not.
DSK made many cool items over the years and I have lots in my collection.
Gerat work David!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-22 09:17 am   Permalink

Thanks skip !! you forgot to post the kahiki refrigerator magnets that I also made for kahiki. Made a bunch of these in the late 90's up until they closed, hundreds of them. Their last order was placed just before the closing party because they wanted to have them on hand for souvenirs. I was considering doing a kahiki necklace roll-out and re-issue these again. Perhaps as a comemrative item, with new packaging label. we'll have to see.

* also, none of those addresses, phone #'s or websites in the photos apply anymore. if you need to contact me, you can do so through tiki central.

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2013-01-22 09:19 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-22 11:28 am   Permalink

Tipsy.
Are you responsible for Elviki?!

Love the necklaces.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-22 1:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-22 11:28, Hale Tiki wrote:
Tipsy.
Are you responsible for Elviki?!

Love the necklaces.

yes - i was working with the creator of the elviki character to produce elviki figures and such a few years ago. I made the resin cast elvikis.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-22 2:40 pm   Permalink

I'll be damnned. Never knew that. Just bought the Elviki a long, long time ago when I first started collecting. It's in a box somewhere, and will have a place at my home bar when it's done.
Thanks for the Tchotchke, Tipsy.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-12 3:02 pm   Permalink

Here is a lighter I just saw sell on eBay.
Sold for $70.00 to um.... nevermind.
Cool with the box, Great shape.
photos lifted from eBay.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY from TIKISKIP! Now buy your lover a Light!!

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-13 03:24 am   Permalink

That looks like that was actually engraved and then filled with enamel, instead of just silk screened.

Man they don't make stuff like the used to.

Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-20 10:40 am   Permalink

Wow, found this Kahiki compote over the weekend and was surprised that it wasn't listed on ooga-mooga, and only one mention here, back in 2007 from an ebay listing.

Well, they really do exist. No maker markings though, and different than the Kon Tiki ones.

[ This Message was edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2013-05-20 10:41 ]

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-16 08:46 am   Permalink

Nice find Pauly!!

So on the way to Hukilau 2013 Barb and I went along the back roads and old interstate roads
to get to and from the event.
This way we see antique stores and thrift shops ECT along the way, and all the cool old
places not touched by Starbuckification.
While we were on our way home through Zanesville Ohio we saw The Market House Inn.
It had those old rondelle windows like five of them.
See them here.
http://www.google.com/search?q=rondelle+glass+windows&rlz=1C2EODB_enUS533US533&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=SNu9UdRHj8PIAcqWgcgG&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=652
These windows are very costly and you don't see them often anymore.
We went inside to eat and check this place out only to find it had a nautical dιcor mixed with
an old English style, Like the Wine Cellar of old here in Columbus Ohio.
We walked about the place and even went downstairs and found this,
a plaque that said Coburn Morgan was one of the people who did the dιcor.
Well as we all know Mr. Morgan was the same guy who helped with the dιcor at the Kahiki
and at The Wine Cellar in Columbus Ohio.
Both of these restaurants were owned by Bill Sapp and Lee Henry.
I never saw a plaque like this in the Kahiki so I would guess
this was a job done after the Kahiki.
The Market House Inn is very old, so Mr. Coburns work must have been a redo of sorts.

Side note we were told by a shop owner to go to another place to eat, and even went to this
other place but when we got there at the last second we changed our minds and went to
The Market House Inn instead.
Kinda odd.

-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-

¦:-·:*''""*:·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:*''""*:·.-:¦

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2013-06-16 08:48 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-16 7:59 pm   Permalink

Ha, you have a sixth sense about the Kahiki heritage by now, Skip. Thing is, these days even these kind of "Old World Charm" places are getting rare. Wouldn't it be cool if all the great theme places had plaques like that. Here's the one at the Aztec Hotel in Monrovia, LA:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation