FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Bill Sapp, the catalog
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-20 09:53 am   Permalink

Sven When we were at the Hukilau people would come up and ask what
is the Kahiki!
Dam has the tiki resurge gone so far that newbies need to be retaught
about the old stuff?
Saw some great old cool tiki items for sale at the Hukilau, the kind of stuff
that would be in your house Sven, When the vending was over THAT'S the stuff that
did not sell!
But time and time again you will see some kinda new say Kahiki item go for top dollar,
while a Hoffman mug goes for less.
THIS is the problem I fear for the new tiki bars, most of the new tiki people WANT the
new what we would call not so tiki vibe. (even some Hukilau and TC tiki people)
BUT when you post photos of your home people go ga, ga, I don't get it.
And the "Old World Charm" places were like what half of ALL restaurants and hotels, Maybe a bit less.
I don't get it, What does it say about a society that thinks Starbucks is awesome.

And yes it's ok to like what ya like in your own home.
But it's also ok to be on a site like this one and say your version of tiki is Starbuckie.
I tried to be nice there.
Rant over for now.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 11:42 am   Permalink

I'm a huge fan of "Old world charm" as you called it. I find it hard to believe that people actually asked what the Kahiki was. That makes me sad. So much history, Tiki era and otherwise, is just destroyed these days to make "progress". One of the reasons I originally joined TC was because it seemed people were really trying to salvage the past so future generations would have an idea of what life was like then.

I really tend to focus on the older things. Lots of new stuff and artists are out there and some of it is truly wonderful, but my favorite is still the older items. I was fortunate enough to keep a lot of old items from the 50s and 60s and put into my home after my mother passed. Even things that I don't recall as a child just seem to give off a cool and positive vibe.

I'm a firm believer you should embrace the past and use the new and future as accessories to enhance it.

ok, enough rambling.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 12:16 pm   Permalink

Here are some old tourist slides that capture the a mid-century couple's magical visit to the Kahiki (from ebay).

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 12:54 pm   Permalink

I think who ever took the pictures must have been a tiki loving person. Each picture is about the place and I love the last picture how she is holding up the menu for us.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-21 04:33 am   Permalink

Great pic's Dustycajun!
Thanks for posting.

Ok, here is a fun game.
Name the ten things in these photos that show us this is
a set of very early photos.
I think there are eleven really.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 11:46 am   Permalink

I could never name 10 things, but I know they removed the gardens to the left of the door to increase parking, but not sure when they did it. Obviously after these pics were taken.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 11:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-20 12:16, Dustycajun wrote:
Here are some old tourist slides that capture the a mid-century couple's magical visit to the Kahiki (from ebay).

DC

did you buy those?

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-22 04:40 am   Permalink

Also the sign. I don't remember seeing those bamboo letters.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-23 07:27 am   Permalink

"but I know they removed the gardens to the left of the door to increase parking"

Good call, and this is one of the ten.
I don't know when this was done but it was early on in the life of the Kahiki.

"Also the sign. I don't remember seeing those bamboo letters."

Yes, Yes, This is one too.
I would guess that these letters made of bamboo did not last a year or more.
Bamboo here in Ohio rots goes grey and ugly QUICK here, as you can see this bamboo
is still yellow even.

See any more people?

Dιjΰ vu
______________________________________________________________________________________
ψ"˜――¨˜"ψ"˜――¨˜"ψ"˜――¨˜"ψ"˜――¨˜"ψ"˜――¨˜"ψ"˜――¨˜"ψ"˜――¨˜"ψ"˜――¨˜"ψ"˜――¨˜"ψ"˜――¨˜"ψ"˜――¨˜"ψ

Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-23 08:56 am   Permalink

Great pics DC...did you get them?

Skip, Great guessing game as you are THE KAHIKI GURU (thanks for your passion) and your Kahiki Tiki eye is honed. I'll take a guess at a few....the bamboo rails out front and the early lamp shade? Thanks again, OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-23 09:12 am   Permalink

I did not get those photos, they went for some $$$ cash. Here are photos of the more modern sign without the bamboo.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-24 08:21 am   Permalink

Thanks Or Got Rum, This Kahiki stuff seems to drop in my lap really.
And Dustycajun Thanks again those photos will help prove my point.

Good call Or Got Rum.
The same thing on the bamboo rail at the door at first it was real bamboo
And had no arch.
Later they were changed to arched metal structures and painted gold.
they are now in Vermont. (see photo #1)

And right again on the lamp shade,
This shade is from the first table lamp at the Kahiki made by Bill Sapps first wife.
The way I know for sure is at the last Kahiki sale I found two in a box tied together
as if there wanted to make a hanging light out of them.
And they can be seen in other photos as well. (see photo set #2)
Last photo has a Trader Vic's lamp base not Kahiki.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
‹(•Ώ•)›‹(•Ώ•)›‹(•Ώ•)›‹(•Ώ•)›•:*TIKISKIP™*:•:*MAKES*:•:*FLOAT*:•:*LIGHTS*:•‹(•Ώ•)›‹(•Ώ•)›‹(•Ώ•)›‹(•Ώ•)›

__‹(•Ώ•)›__‹(•Ώ•)›__‹(•Ώ•)›__‹(•Ώ•)›__‹(•Ώ•)›__

tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 08:29 am   Permalink

I'm guessing one clue is the menu with the fireplace, which shows it before being repainted. Speaking of which, I never noticed that the entrance to the restaurant has the same shape as the mouth of the fireplace! (Better late than never.)

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 09:14 am   Permalink

You can see one of the old Hitiki ashtrays in one pic. I am guessing the asian gals in those bikini tops went away pretty early on.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-24 09:45 am   Permalink

Also, the entrance fountain still has original paint job.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation