FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Lee Henry, The catalog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 )
KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Lee Henry, The catalog
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-19 06:59 am   Permalink

Did the girls have “Hoffman Pottery” tattos on their bottoms

Keep it up Skipper!!!

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-22 09:59 am   Permalink

Spotted this Kahiki gift shop cannibal piece made by HiTiki on ebay.

Here is the item description: This vintage plaster cannibal was made by HiTiki and sold at the Kahiki gift shop. The tiki is 8" tall and 2.75" wide.

Not sure if this one has been shown in the Skip archives yet?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-22 12:50 pm   Permalink

It has not been added to this page yet.
But I think I have seen it before or one like it, was the seller in Ohio?
Wait I just saw it on page 34 of this thread.

That looks like it was made out of something called pour rock as told to me by Herman Leitwein.
Some of the ashtrays lamps ect were made from this stuff most likely a trademark name for a plaster like substance that was brown or grey.

Many times there would be a brown or dark colored felt on the bottom.

So many different people/companies made stuff for the Kahiki.
Mrs. Sapp
Herman Leitwein
Coburn Morgan
The art collage
HiTiki
Hoffman Pottery
Mario Torres
Imperial glass company
Anchor Hocking
Sterling China
Oceanic Arts
Dangel Creations from New Rome, OH.
Coburn Morgan
vogue rattan mfg. co
Benson Co.
Phil Kientz
Bernard C Altenbach
Jack Hite
Morgantown
Pana-Vue souvenir pack
Jack Liberatore
Lavisse
Bob & Dorothy Breining -- made the "mystery bowl"
dirty Donny
Martin, Thief, wood
Majestic paint made a custom color,just for the Kahiki “Kahiki Brown”
Witco
Phil Kintz
DSK Designs / David Krys
Maryland Match co
Dundee lighters
Distinctive rattan furniture by Clark Casual furniture INC.
mi-ko usa
Tom Iaquinta
Mr Leitweins son bill
Morgan Stone studio.
OMC Japan

There was a guy Bernard C Altenbach who also did the Hustler clubs here in town that worked on the Kahiki he was eccentric they say he got into so many wrecks that he would wear a crash helmet when he drove a car.

They say he fell in love with one of the girls at the Hustler club and left his family and went to California, just up and left.

Heard much of this from the first interview that Jeff and I did with Mr. Sapp for Tiki Mag, Heck Tiki Mag cut most of the good stuff out.
I still have the notes from that somewhere.
Plus I had Mr. Leitwein with Tom Iaquinta also went to Mr. Leitweins house.
Want to get the info put here before I forget it all.

I can tell you I missed a ton of people/companies in that list of people that made stuff for the Kahiki up top, will add to that list as I find more.

Nice addition DC!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,:*MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM TIKISKIP!!*:º¤ø,¸¸ø¤ºº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-01-03 06:11 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-12-22 2:47 pm   Permalink

that’s a pretty comprehensive list

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2017-12-22 14:49 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-12-22 4:09 pm   Permalink

Dustycajun that is the same one it looks like.

Have you ever wondered what an item is worth after all is said and done.
Like that statue sold for say $10.00 bucks in the 60s, then it was sold at a garage sale for say $4.00 years later.
So now tiki gets hot and it sells for say $50.00 bucks, man it could go on into infinity or until it is destroyed.

AND Trav that is JUST the décor, plates ect.
No food, booze, regular paper goods, advertising, cleaning supplies, plumbers,electricians.
And you know I missed some.
Like the stuff they got in Mexico, who knows where that came from.

Man a place like Kahiki keeps MANY people in jobs.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-03 06:58 am   Permalink

Just saw this bit on the Kahiki from the The Ohio Historical Society blog site they have a kind of sad collection of Kahiki items most of the items they have are from the end at that time the mugs were made so quick that they really suck.
But they still could not keep them in stock (you can spot these mugs as you can’t really read the bottom markings and the moai is not that definded)

Then there is this part about the fountain at the Kahiki I can remember I called one of the table lamps a “Double monkey head lamp” and Sven said "That is not a monkey head, but a New Guinea carving on that lamp base"
Heck if you do a Google search for "Double monkey head lamp" the one I made comes up.
This was a name for the lamp I came up with so Sven was right.

Can also remember somebody calling the fountain “George” within Bill Sapp’s ear and he said “George, what’s George?” they told him it was the name of the fountain and he said “It’s a Pig” He had never heard the "George" name given to it.
George fountain does not come up in a Google search FYI.

I think people here do now call the fountain “George”

Not a big deal but that’s the way I heard it, I think the “George” name came way later like after the Kahiki closed even, Think tiki people gave it the name kinda like “Steve” mug from the Stephen Crane mug from the Luau Restaurants.

“And now you know” … “The rest of the story”

This Blog was done by Emily Lang one of the Kahiki book authors.

https://www.ohiohistory.org/learn/collections/history/history-blog/2014/january-2014/the-kahiki-supper-club

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-01-03 09:10 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-11 1:39 pm   Permalink

So a friend just got me this book "Lost Restaurants" Of central Ohio and Columbus somebody would have to give me that book as I won't buy a book by Doug Motz again.

It has a Kahiki part in it where "geroge" the fountain is now "fondly dubbed" "Pete the Pig" That one is new just so ya know.

Damn how many names does that fountain have?

Motz as you may know was one of the Kahiki book authors this book is the same size as the Kahiki book with about as many pics.

The Kahiki book needed to be as big and have as many photographs as the Book of Tiki so did this "Lost Restaurants" book.
Would guess it's hard to find pictures of the old places.

"Lost Restaurants" Of central Ohio and Columbus reads like a fanboy who drops names only the few who knew them would know.

What a waste, there were so many great old restaurants in Ohio that were overlooked.
Lessner? really. (a washed up restaurateur in Columbus)

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-01-12 11:58 am   Permalink

Lost Restaurants is put out by my publisher, Arcadia/History Press. Their general business model is hyper-local history in slim volumes packed with as many historical photos as possible. The print runs are generally small--1,000 copies or less--with no advance paid, only royalties. The authors are almost always "local historians." Because of that, the quality of the books is often hit-or-miss. Some of authors really know their stuff, and the books are great. Others are more gossipy and use a lot of words to say very little.

I saw the Kahiki book and wondered if you'd had any involvement in it. Sounds like it's a sore spot for you (trust me, I know the feeling!).

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-01-12 4:34 pm   Permalink

“I saw the Kahiki book and wondered if you'd had any involvement in it.”

Well I know and like jeff, so that’s why I kinda say nothing.
But no I did not work on the Kahiki book.
But the "local historian” is just not a good writer and he left out some great restaurants in "Lost Restaurants" Of central Ohio and Columbus my family’s being four of them full discloser.

But even still my family's restaurant's were around since 1942 and one is still open today so that says something.
In fact it’s one of the oldest restaurants in Columbus.

I am just getting pissed at these “authors” deciding who is and who isn’t and it’s time to say hay that sucks.

This “local historian” who wrote this book has like three pages for a newer not great restaurant that he knew the girl who owned it.
And there are other places in his book that fit this category.

Great places get half a page.

Sick of the politics and who you know being what gets you “in”

I’m not a good a$$ kisser and that is a big part of the problem.

One more thing, the Kahiki and many of the old restaurants in town were not well loved by the city as in the govt in say the 1990s on.
They wanted new young "Chefs" with hip new restaurants while giving very little to the old places that for so many years had kept open, paid taxes, in some very bad times.
The new places got all the perks.

These new restaurateurs were not selling food they were selling restaurants.
As in they would get perks from the city and then sell shares to the restaurant and you could be part owner at ten thousand dollars a pop this got you a table when they were busy but not many got money back.

NOW the Kahiki closes and all the sudden people LOVED the Kahiki, just a year before they would say the food sucks I don't go there.

Told so many people to go to the Kahiki before it closed You gotta see it just once!
Nobody went.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation