FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Lee Henry, The catalog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 )
KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Lee Henry, The catalog
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-11-02 07:59 am   Permalink

Nice cache, DC. Love the two-headed ashtray -- never saw that one before!

Pretty sure we have a Kahiki kids menu. Menus are one thing we need to know what to do with. We hunt them down and save them, collect them ... but then what? Right now most of them are just tucked away in boxes.

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-11-05 08:22 am   Permalink

Sorry, I'm confused...the Kahiki connection?

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-11-05 2:16 pm   Permalink

Some nice stuff DC.
The news paper is from the end of the Kahiki and the Napkins I don't know when they started those but it was early I think.

The two-headed ashtray I have seen one before but it was a different style somewhat.
They were all made one by one at that time and had no glaze that I have ever seen.
Plus if it was from the start of the Kahiki (that ashtray would have been from that time and made by Mrs. Sapp)the two-headed ashtray would have "Kahiki" scratched into the bottom.

The creativenative stuff is not from the Kahiki but still cool.
When we went to Hawaii we were hard pressed to find any tiki for sale.
Finally found one in the international market place from this guy who was under the Banyan tree only on Thursdays.

The tiki we saw on display were mostly TikiBosko carvings.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-11-07 8:35 pm   Permalink

Sorry wrong thread. Let's me see if I can delete that post. Hard to believe I don't drink.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2017-11-07 20:37 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-11-08 05:14 am   Permalink

"Sorry wrong thread. Let's me see if I can delete that post. Hard to believe I don't drink."

That may be the problem, I kid.

This would be a good place for your tiki pic's.
And it was no big deal, just wanted people to know what is, is not, or might be from Kahiki.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1099&forum=5&start=10950&10952

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-11-09 07:59 am   Permalink

Here is a bit of new Kahiki info? Mystery?

Ok so we know about Hoffman Pottery the second maker of Kahiki mugs / bowls second only to Mrs. Sapp herself.
So they were there from the very early days.

Here is a eBay listing for the Hoffman Pottery Mystery bowl, one of the hardest Kahiki items to get.
I was told by Bill Sapp that the bowls did not last long as the feet would break off and they had to toss em.

Now this is the marking from the bottom of the bowl.
These markings are different on other Hoffman pottery I have seen.
Don't know what markings are the earliest ones but it would be great to find out.

I am not saying these are fake, in fact this one looks very good and I would buy this one if I were to find a ton o cash laying about.

Here is a different Bowl.
Idols cast seen in front Mystery bowl in back.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-11-09 08:04 am   Permalink

So here are some other markings from other Hoffman Kahiki items....

This is a eBay sale with a marking that I have never seen.
The handcraft on the bottom makes me think it was long after the bowl was made.
BUT I'm not sure on that it is just a thought, and would not take value from the bowl.

This is an odd one and I forget where I got this photo even, think it was from eBay and sold high.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-11-09 08:11 am   Permalink

So here is yet another Hoffman marking, this one is very early I would guess.
Image from eBay and sold high to the one who's name shall not be spoken.

Ok here is my Idols cast mug from Kahiki.
See a different marking on the bottom.

Ceramics by Hoffman "Kahiki" is scratched in and has a brown color in the scratching some have no color.

I for get what this pic is from.
But see no brown "Kahiki" just scratched in.
Here for reference...

I think one way to guess what markings are oldest is to find other Hoffman pottery and look at the markings of the stuff that is not tiki, then try to see if there is any hint as to these being older stuff.

Jeff and I did interview eric Hoffman but he was very young at the time these were made and did not have a ton of info really.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2017-11-17 16:19 ]

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-11-09 7:07 pm   Permalink

Detective Shipper

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 28 days ago; 10:42 pm   Permalink

Hey Skip, Stop teasing us with your awesome Kahiki ware. : > ) Its really beautiful.
Keep em coming.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 25 days ago; 4:21 pm   Permalink

Here you go nui 'umi 'umi.

More questions than answers.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 24 days ago; 05:47 am   Permalink

11/17/2017
Man! the Kahiki ghosts have come through again!
I can't make this stuff up, went to eBay to lift some photos for this question and find this sale for a Hoffman mug.
But it may put a date on the mug AND markings if you believe this seller, I do.
Not my sale and I don't know this person.

Ebay sale this mug had Ceramics by Hoffman...

VINTAGE KAHIKI SUPPER CLUB / RESTAURANT COLUMBUS OHIO MOAI TIKI FACE MUG MADE BY HOFFMAN CERAMICS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401440732502?ul_noapp=true
This mug dates to March, 1963, when we were living in Columbus and visiting relatives took us out to dinner to celebrate the birth of our son. I saved it because it was such a big deal then for us to eat out. There is some unpainted area along the bottom, due to the manufacturing process. It measures 6 5/8" tall.

My question to her Via eBay.....
Your previous message
Hello nice mug you have, can you help me date these mugs.
Are you sure this came from the Kahiki in March 1963.
These mugs have many different markings and this could help date them.

Thank you so much for your help, I too have one of these mugs.
And I have one of the BIG moai statues front the front of the building.

Good luck on your sale.
Tikiskip

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Her reply....
Hello, Yes, it was definitely from March of 1963, the only time I was ever there- out of town relatives took us out to dinner to celebrate the birth of one of our sons- he was just shy of 2 weeks old and was born 3-6-63. I saved the mug and napkin because it was such a big deal then to go out, plus they were "cool"!!! We only lived in Columbus a short time, we moved to Indianapolis soon after and have never been back. Best Regards, Sue

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2017-11-19 04:33 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 04:26 am   Permalink

Her son was Born 3/6/1963 and that was a Sunday.
So 3/18/1963 was a Friday that would be just shy of two weeks old. Hummmm.

Also the same lady has a Kahiki cloth napkin for sale on eBay as well from that same time and date.

Sooo we can date the Kahiki cloth napkins to around 3/18/1963 as well as the mug.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 12:34 pm   Permalink

Ok here are some Hoffman markings that would be around the time of Kahiki mugs and bowls Hoffman made for the Kahiki.

These are not tiki mugs but other examples of the markings.

WBNS is a TV station here in Columbus.
We can see that this piece has the "Ceramics by Hoffman" on the bottom.
Would be cool to have a Kahiki mug with that stickie.

This looks to be newer and makes me think that this marking is the newer marking and that the "Ceramics by Hoffman" marking is the older marking.
Kinda odd that the "Ceramics by Hoffman" would be the older marking because the Kahiki mystery bowls that I have seen never have the "Ceramics by Hoffman" marking this would lead us to believe the mystery bowls came after the Moai mugs.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2017-11-23 04:52 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation