FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Lee Henry, The catalog
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 )
KAHIKI Columbus, ohio tiki bar restaurant. Lee Henry, The catalog
umeone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-30 06:35 am   Permalink

THE END.

View Profile of umeone Send a personal message to umeone  Email umeone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-12-30 08:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-12-30 06:35, umeone wrote:
THE END.

Not by a long shot,
All be it at a slower pace more and more stuff is unearthed, recipes, mugs, décor, ect.
Over the years the Kahiki tale will be told and added to, The Michael Tsao years have not been
talked about much.
Heck half the time I spell his name wrong.
But that is what's great about TC new info comes up and then the debate begins when the dust clears
you will find yourself at least closer to the truth.

Don't know if it really matters all this new info, but I think that is a good thing.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-31 9:06 pm   Permalink

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-02 07:15 am   Permalink

It is the unspoken truth that a lot of the stuff we are collecting was stolen. And I know people in this community who steal to this day. People will steal anything. The Mai-Kai lost a giant stone statue taken by crane in the night!

I also know most places put a mug or whatever with their name on it as an advertising expense for tax purposes.

I have been told that the Mai-Kai loses about 300 Rum Barrels some months. Those are not free. Imagine the cost and think about what it takes for you to continue to be able to drink out of a Rum Barrel mug when you go to the Mai-Kai. They are in the gift shop these days for those with a conscience. and I heard that they might start offering them for sale like they do the Mara Amu, but at something close to cost to offset the hit to the books. That could help a lot.

Matchbooks, postcards, napkins, swizzle sticks and sometimes menus were meant to go home with the guests.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-02 10:27 am   Permalink

Thanx for adding hang10tiki.

Now that we are fired up here are some more lighters and matches.

And Tim that is a lot of theft, wow!
My place did not have that much walking out the door that's for sure.
We did have to hide the sweet and low from the little old ladies that would fill their purses
with all they could take.

BUT, you are going to break these mugs at a faster pace than a glass glass for sure.
Bill even said that that was a problem with the mystery bowls so they did not last long.
AND I did not come close to the amount of theft they have but I never came close to
the profits the Mai Kai makes as well.

Spillage is or at least should be wrote into the cost of these drinks, maybe a
small charge is needed for the glass wear as well.
This is what credit card companies do to cut their loses due to people who don't
pay their debts.

Michael Jackson wanted you to pay for every song you download for free but we all know that's not going to happen.

It would be too bad if theft kept tiki joints from having these cool mugs.
At Three Dots they are very good about selling their mugs and don't piss and moan when
you ask them to get them for you(they have no gift shop).

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-14 7:24 pm   Permalink

TikiSkip- great photo

2 more

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-27 4:02 pm   Permalink

Here is a nice article on Lee Henrys house.
Looks like it was for sale not too long ago.
Met Mr. Henry once during an interview for one of the Kahiki books that was never published.
He and his wife were very nice.
http://www.columbusmonthly.com/content/stories/2014/03/property.html

Property: The House that the Kahiki Built
Copious windows and a nod to a former Columbus institution define this Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired Westerville home.

By MICHELLE SULLIVAN
From the March 2014 edition
233 0 Google +0 0 358

Michelle Sullivan
4480 Ravine Dr., Westerville

Asking price: $895,000

Listing agent: Kevin Sullivan, RE/MAX

Look Inside: 4480 Ravine Drive in Westerville
View Slideshow
To those who have deep roots in Columbus—or at least lived here sometime before 2000—the rocks that climb the walls of 4480 Ravine Dr. in Westerville might look familiar. That’s because they are the stones that were left over from when the house’s original owner, Lee Henry, built the Kahiki Supper Club in 1961. When the nearly 7,000-square-foot house was designed for Henry and his wife in 1963, he had materials from his third restaurant incorporated both inside and out, including copper plumbing. The home—built on more than 7 acres—was designed by a graduate of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture and clearly reflects the let-the-outside-in concept of Wright’s teaching. It features mostly natural materials—wood, stone and glass. The four bedrooms feature vaulted ceilings (as do most other rooms), a floating staircase ascends to the lofted master suite, which includes two of five-and-a-half bathrooms, and the home’s 160 panes of glass allow ample natural light in and boast a view of the adjacent wooded ravine from nearly all angles.

A gated driveway winds through the dense woods for true privacy accompanied by the illusion of a secluded-someplace outside of Ohio.

Current owner Randy Giddens spearheaded a $300,000 renovation when he bought the house from the Henrys 15 years ago. His goal was to modernize it while maintaining the integrity of the original design. The main living space used to feature a sunken floor with a narrow fireplace in the center of the room and fixed sofa seating. Giddens gutted that space and raised the oak floor to incorporate two separate (but open) sitting areas and a built-in bar.
The original kitchen was boxed off from separate living and dining rooms. “That was the Frank Lloyd Wright style back in the day,” Giddens says, “small rooms with a lot of windows.” Giddens knocked down the walls and opened the kitchen to the rest of the house, while adding an extra dining area that gives way to the backyard. He also added an artist’s studio with two walls of windows and an additional office space. Giddens sealed the original bomb shelter (the house was built in the ’60s, after all) but constructed another shelter of his own: a 2,500-bottle wine cellar in the basement.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-27 4:10 pm   Permalink

looks like it did not sell.
Used to be able to get a whole house for 24 thousand!
Now that's the taxes per year.

Very nice house.

Tax Year 2014
Annual Taxes
$24,551.64
Building Data
Year Built
Total Sq Footage

Here is a nice collection of photos.
many are ones from this thread but new ones as well.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lee+henry+kahiki&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=637&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=wCrIVOmVIsK2yASTgoLIBQ&ved=0CFAQsAQ&dpr=1.5

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2015-01-27 16:24 ]

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2015-01-27 4:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-27 16:02, tikiskip wrote:

Current owner Randy Giddens spearheaded a $300,000 renovation when he bought the house from the Henrys 15 years ago. His goal was to modernize it while maintaining the integrity of the original design. The main living space used to feature a sunken floor with a narrow fireplace in the center of the room and fixed sofa seating. Giddens gutted that space and raised the oak floor ...

This sounds like a bad move. Why would he have done this? Was there a problem with flooding? Did he have small kids running around? It had better be a very good reason, "modernization" is not a valid excuse.

Oh, and he sealed off the bomb shelter too? Who wouldn't want a bomb shelter?? Whether truly necessary or not, I'd want one just for the novelty.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2015-01-27 16:38 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-01-27 6:42 pm   Permalink

I hear ya!

Westerville is not the swankest place to live in Columbus area, It's not a bad place mind you.
This must have been a new exclusive development back in the 60s as it's not closer than other
parts of town to the Kahiki.
My folks had a restaurant near Westerville at this time (60s) and you would need to go past some bad parts of town that are even worst now to get there.

Don't know this area really but 8 hundred thousand plus to live in Westerville now may
be a tough sell.
Plus almost 25 thousand in taxes per year.

Here are some other living rooms that need "fixing"
https://www.google.com/search?q=sunken+living+room+design&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=637&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=bEnIVPejIIa2yQTl3IDoDw&ved=0CB0QsAQ#imgdii=9o6E6NRGggAlIM%3A%3B_nfCDPAcXaWQwM%3B9o6E6NRGggAlIM%3A&imgrc=9o6E6NRGggAlIM%253A%3BuMqoeAkfoHW42M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fjordanguidedesign.com%252Fblog%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2009%252F10%252Fsunken-room-3-300x232.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fjordanguidedesign.com%252Fblog%252Fcategory%252Fsunken-rooms%252F%3B300%3B232

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 21 days ago; 09:14 am   Permalink

Well here's an add featuring the Beachcomber Trio at the Kahiki.

Prance barefoot through the sands, wicked!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 19 days ago; 3:05 pm   Permalink

Great addition Dustycajun.

But all we have are grey sky's and mud to walk through at this time.

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 10:13 am   Permalink

VERY COOL!!!!!

Thanks dustycajun!!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 3 days ago; 3:08 pm   Permalink

This has a slight Kahiki tie to it..
John Travolta filming I Am Wrath in old Kahiki home Columbus Ohio ...at Jack's Downtown diner!!!
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=49082&forum=6&start=last&2

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 7:12 pm   Permalink

Here are a few more old ads from the Kahiki.

The kids. I thought I remembered seeing a kids menu from Kahiki but I could not find an image.

Set sail indeed!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation