FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge how do YOU define the difference between Art and Craft
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
how do YOU define the difference between Art and Craft
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 7:29 pm   Permalink

Of course there is no right or wrong with this...just grist for fights.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beatnikine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-26 8:10 pm   Permalink

Art - expressing one's feeling and vision via a chosen medium.

Craft - doin' the mill for the money thing (Marty Bell, Kinkade.)

Thats what I think.

View Profile of Beatnikine Send a personal message to Beatnikine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 9:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-26 20:10, Beatnikine wrote:
Art - expressing one's feeling and vision via a chosen medium.

Craft - doin' the mill for the money thing (Marty Bell, Kinkade.)

I was going to say:
I define art as studio-type arts-- i.e. painting, photography, drawing, sculpting.
I define crafts as things like knitting, or gluing moss on books and tying ribbon around it for decoration (my Mom did this once).
I like art. I don't like crafts.
After reading Beatnikine's definitions, I'm inclined to agree more with those. Although I think maybe I still don't like crafts.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 9:26 pm   Permalink

You can tell teh difference quite simply:

did you use white Elmers glue with a picture of a cow on it. If you did then it was a craft.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 10:20 pm   Permalink

I as actually thinking more in terms of things like wood working, stone, mosaic or tile work, even sign makers.

what is the defining line between an Artist or a Craftsman (not so much a yarn gluing wifey)

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 10:53 pm   Permalink

Art:

Craft:

Art:

Craft:

Art:

Craft:

get it?

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 02:28 am   Permalink

Art and Craft can collide with fabulous results!

Yes kids, that's a latch-hook rug!

See more of this artist's work at
http://www.madewithsweetlove.com

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 06:18 am   Permalink

Art is more an expression of self. It can be a statement (political, religous, whatever), but can just be "this is me"

Craft implies a certain level of kitsch involved, can be creative and can look cool but doesnt necessarily make a statement.

eg. Green Day - they make an old fashion rock n roll statement of f*#@ the trendy posers (threw that in for woofmutt ) , we love the music and we got something to say about whats happening with people today. Therefore ART

Britney Spears - sings about nothing of merit or quality, can be tacky (drunken vegas wedding anyone?), and is generally just crap as a musical artist. She has to resort to dressing up like a schoolgirl themed hooker or pashing some chick to stay in the limelight. Therefore craft

Disclaimer - musical credibility of Britney not withstanding, I dont mind her. Just put on a film clip, turn off the sound, put on something good, and enjoy the visuals.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-27 08:42 am   Permalink

But what about the Arts and Crafts movement?

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beatnikine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-27 08:53 am   Permalink

That scared the hell out of me....

View Profile of Beatnikine Send a personal message to Beatnikine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WenikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 09:55 am   Permalink

I am an artist and a craftsman. I have been highly insulted at times in the past by people who wouldn't know art if it walked up and explained itself to them. I often make very intricate beaded items, using expensive Japanese beads known as 'Delicas'. These are about 11 to the inch wide. I only do my own original patterns. Some of the amulet bags I make can take over 50 hours of beading sewing on one bead at a time! People have seen me wearing one and said: "Those are cute, you should sell those at the flea market." I actually rarely wear then, due to how much it annoys me!

When I knit a scarf, that is crafts. When I spin the yarn myself and then make something out of it, I am still just a craftsman. When I pour someone else's mold and add my own touches I am being an artistic craftsman. If I design my own mug, make a mold and pour it. I was the artist who designed it, but become the craftsman when doing the reproduction.

OUCH! You all made my head hurt! I just had a flashback to my least favorite college class of all times. OKAY, it was my least favorite college professor of all times. The class, required for graduation with a BA in Studio Arts, was "Philosophy of the Visual Arts". This professor made us make protest signs and carry them around the campus for one day. Then we had to report back to him on the results of our "Artistic Experiment". I argued that we were supposed to be studying visual arts not performance art. I got a "C" in that class. My protest sign wasn't big enough. And I used to laugh at him when he said the fluorescent lights flickering were giving him vertigo, and he would teach class in the dark, with just the hall door open....Fortunatly he never had anything to say worth writing down! Defiantly part of my decision to switch to the Industrial Arts department!

View Profile of WenikiTiki Send a personal message to WenikiTiki  Email WenikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 10:44 am   Permalink

Art is anything is made by human hands, Craft is the ability make it.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 12:24 pm   Permalink

after a certain amount of time does a craftsman become an artist? During teh renassaince artist were not only painters, they were also sculptors and architects. They were all just put in teh category of a craftsman. Michealangelo was considered a craftsman.

My personal favorite artist Alphonse Mucha was only considered an illustrator and not a real artists. NOw adays his illustrations are seen as some of the best art that came out of teh turn of teh century. Oh and he was also a jewlry make, and furniture maker.

SO Iguess my point is, is a great craftsman considered an artist? I think so. I thinka desk that was made by hand and has gorgeous detail in every aspect of it took artistsic talent to make, where as a prefabricated desk you bought at staples and put together at home does not fall into that category.

That's just my two cents though.

[ This Message was edited by: suicide_sam 2006-01-28 16:42 ]

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 1:01 pm   Permalink

what the heck am I?

When Im ripping the lumber Im a Carpenter

When Im cutting the profile and doing the mitre cuts Im a Cabinet Maker

When I sketch It I feel more like an Artist

When I carve it I percieve myself as a craftsman

When I make a lamp, I am still doing many of those things and making a functional product but I feel more like a hobbyist/crafter.

????

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-27 1:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-27 13:01, Monkeyman wrote:
what the heck am I?

You're Monkeyman! - creative master extraordinaire!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation