FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Trader Vics Tiki Party signing in Emeryville
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Trader Vics Tiki Party signing in Emeryville
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-15 5:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-15 16:36, mrsmiley wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-02-15 14:08, Tiki-bot wrote:

Why does it seem that only about 12 people here have ever heard of the Kona Club?

Lack of sign outside is a MAJOR problem in my opinion. Lets say all the Safeway grocery stores changed names to Good Deal Groceries, but they didn't change the signs. Someone says I love shopping at Good Deals, you say "where"?!?! Signage is very important. Can't figure out why is still says "Kings X"-maybe someone knows.

Hang loose, bra.

Seriously, I think sometimes buzz is enough to get people to seek a place out so a sign may not be important unless you're trying to lure people to come in who might not have heard of it (the vast majority of people). I don't recall a big sign at Kitty's bar in Emeryville (and it's on a minor street) but it's often packed, and it just opened recently. Word of mouth (and myspace) had a lot to do with it.

I have several friends who go to the Kona often and who have never been on Tiki Central. Then again I have a lot of drinker friends.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2006-02-15 5:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-15 17:15, thejab wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-02-15 16:36, mrsmiley wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-02-15 14:08, Tiki-bot wrote:

Why does it seem that only about 12 people here have ever heard of the Kona Club?

Lack of sign outside is a MAJOR problem in my opinion. Can't figure out why is still says "Kings X"-maybe someone knows.

Hang loose, bra.

Seriously, I think sometimes buzz is enough to get people to seek a place out so a sign may not be important unless you're trying to lure people to come in who might not have heard of it (the vast majority of people). I don't recall a big sign at Kitty's bar in Emeryville (and it's on a minor street) but it's often packed, and it just opened recently. Word of mouth (and myspace) had a lot to do with it.

I have several friends who go to the Kona often and who have never been on Tiki Central. Then again I have a lot of drinker friends.

OK, lack of signage and lack of non-TC buzz. Any other reasons why the Kona is a little secret? Actually, in my opionion business seems OK, it is never dead that I can remember, but it is big and the other room is never full. I don't mean to sidetrack this topic.
How late is the Vic's event going to last? I am at San Francisco's best kept secret The Drugstore that night for a sale and public art opening
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18444&forum=4 and would love to join everyone later.

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2006-02-15 17:47 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 5:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-15 17:43, mrsmiley wrote:
How late is the Vic's event going to last?

I don't know how long the actual signing will last, but the special guest Hoiti Toitis will be getting to the Emeryville Vic's a little on the late side -- 8ish or so -- so Hanford & I probably won't be leaving until 10pm at the absolute earliest.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 10:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-15 17:47, Humuhumu wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-02-15 17:43, mrsmiley wrote:
How late is the Vic's event going to last?

I don't know how long the actual signing will last, but the special guest Hoiti Toitis will be getting to the Emeryville Vic's a little on the late side -- 8ish or so -- so Hanford & I probably won't be leaving until 10pm at the absolute earliest.

Leaving to go out? or leaving TV's after a few drinks and going over the Kona??

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 11:08 pm   Permalink

6pmish.....Trader Vic's signing starts
8pmish.....Hoiti Toiti guests arrive at Trader Vic's
10pmish....Party moves from Trader Vic's to Kona

That's my guess at the schedule, -/+1hr for each of those times. Don't know exactly when we'll get there yet.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 11:53 pm   Permalink

We plan to show up around dinnertime for the our favorite faaabulous E-Vic's heavenly hamburger. It'll be luverly to see some of those Hoiti Toitis again!

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-16 10:50 am   Permalink

Straight like a church pew Lombard St to Anchor Dr Emeryville:
Total Est. Distance:11.45 miles

Far, so very far. Not like Alameda far, but dang close to it. Are they on Pacific time in Emeryville?

Traveling Blues,
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2006-02-17 4:45 pm   Permalink

I WILL see you all at the Kona Lounge in the Old Kings X.

(510) 653-4200 4401 Piedmont Ave
Oakland, CA
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 6:07 pm   Permalink

The baby has been handed off, I'm sorting through my aloha wear to see what fits...
wooooo hooooooooo. It's been SO long since I've gone out and been able to have a cocktail, I'm pretty excited! See you tonight....

mrs. pineapple

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-18 8:55 pm   Permalink

Well, that was fun, eh? We closed not one, but 2 bars last! It's been a LONG time since I've done that! We missed the book signing, but we had several drinks at Vic's with Tangaroa & his lovely wife Nicole, Tikivixen & Bill, Hanford, Humu, Mai Tai, Mrs. Mai Tai, and some people at the other end of the table I didn't meet...
Then we met up with Mr. Smiley and Jab at the Kona! The Kona looks amazing, I was there only once, and it was crazy crowded and I had to leave early. WOW! The new barstools are great! The cushions match the curtains in Baby Pineapple's room! The drinks were yummy, and it was so much fun seeing everyone and getting to stay up late! We need to get out more... (Baby Pineapple got to have a sleepover with his big cousins, and went to a high school wrestling match, he showed us some new moves when he got home)

Lotsa fun!

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-18 9:49 pm   Permalink

Good lord that was fun. What a blast! It's always great getting together with the Bay Area folks, but it was especially fine getting lots of quality time with Tangaroa & his wahine & the Pineapples. So glad you were able to really cut loose, it's been too long. It was also great getting to hear all the happy new parent stories. And reminiscing about my first visit to the Emeryville Trader Vic's, which was with many of the same folks, nearly three years ago! After closing down two bars, AND stopping for chicken & waffles, we didn't get home until almost 5am! Ooh de lally!

I've got some pictures, but they're pretty awful... I'll work on at least getting a few posted.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-19 07:24 am   Permalink

Weeeooooo! We had a blast, guys - thanks to everyone for all the hospitality. It was so great to spend some time with all of you, try some new drinks - and meet folks in person we hadn't before! Nicole is right - the folks in the Bay Area are the best... Mai Tai & Mrs. Mai Tai - great to meet you, Tikivixen & Bill - sorry I didn't talk with you more (at Trader Vics we kinda divided into the "girls side & the boys side" ). It was really fun to meet Mr. Smiley & The Jab! You guys are a couple of TC'ers I've always wanted to meet. Tiki-bot & Mrs. Pineapple - so great to connect again. We gotta get our babies together next time... Hanford & Humu - what can I say? We took too long in finally getting together - but I'm so glad we did! Just really great talking about all my geeky interests with Hanford (who knew he was a Chris Ware fan too ?) - and Humu - what can I say? You really are one of the most gracious people we've ever met. Thank you so much to Tikivixen, Humu, Mrs. Pineapple (and I'm sorry to forget the name of the other lady who hung out with us) for making Nicole feel so welcome! The Stinker, Tonga Punch, Mai Tais, Planet of the Apes - we were blotto at the end! We kept thinking we had to go - before we knew it, last call! Fun. fun, fun - thanks again...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 12:44 pm   Permalink

East Bay Blowout Pics!

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/eastbayblowout/

thejab

Posted: 2006-02-21 12:54 pm   Permalink

Nice pic of the dapper gentleman in the seal fur coat!

[ This Message was edited by: thejab 2006-02-21 12:55 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 07:20 am   Permalink

Finally! Here's our pics:

I have to say - Bamboo Ben did an AMAZING job at the Kona Club - so weird to see King's X with the old signage still outside, then Polynesian Paradise when you step inside!

We had a great time! Really fun to hook up with all of you....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation