FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Can anyone Suggest Aquarium safe TIKI decorations
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Can anyone Suggest Aquarium safe TIKI decorations
LavaPants
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-30 4:44 pm   Permalink

I thought that this question might be better answered in this section than any other.

It's been really hard finding cool Tiki stuff for my Tiki Aquarium besides the Easter Island statue (The one that comes in 3 different sizes). Unfortunately alot of the materials used to make alot of great Tiki stuff is not safe for fish. Can anyone out there suggest any items that would be fish friendly? It would be great if some of you artists could create some Tiki themed Aquarium Decorations or suggest some materials to use to create my own.

Thanks for any help/creations

[ This Message was edited by: LavaPants 2006-01-30 16:46 ]

View Profile of LavaPants Send a personal message to LavaPants      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 4:50 pm   Permalink

I've seen finding nemo and spongebob squarepants themed aquarium stuff, both having a tiki flair

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 7:21 pm   Permalink

Around here the only thing i have seen is different sized Moai for fish tanks , they are at all different stores.

I have also seen old mugs used.

[ This Message was edited by: rodeotiki 2006-01-30 19:21 ]

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-30 8:24 pm   Permalink

See if Polypop has saved any of his broken mugs. If he has, you might end up having to get a bigger aquarium.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 10:44 am   Permalink

How about small glass floats anchored to the bottom of the tank.

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-01-31 10:56 am   Permalink

tiki mugs! A great Idea - I'm going to run home and drop one in my aquarium. What about resin? I've seen a couple of cool tikis (small, too), that would look pretty good in an aquarium. I don't "think" that stuff is toxic...

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 2:49 pm   Permalink

The only thing that I wonder about mugs is the only part of a ceramic mug do sealed is the ring on the bottom. Show us the pictures when finished

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
monkeyskull
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 10:29 pm   Permalink

Okay, I know you're looking for something a little nicer and a little more tiki than this, but I just added these two (with supplies and fish from the local PetCo) to my bathroom wall.

View Profile of monkeyskull Send a personal message to monkeyskull  Email monkeyskull Goto the website of monkeyskull     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-01 08:39 am   Permalink

Beware! Lead in some ceramics may kill everything in the tank. You'll find this out rather quickly.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-03 11:10 am   Permalink

If you're industrious and want to make your own, you could always try shaping lava rock. I'm sure there's people around here who know exactly how to do that. Lava rock is generally safe for fish tanks, other types of rock of tufa that are soft might also be good but tufa's possibly a little too crumby for shaping. Just an idea.
Plastics and resins should be okay, but remember that saltwater and freshwater will react differently. Most things you'd buy at a pet shop would be fine, but I'd think twic before sinking a CocoJoes or something to the bottom.
A glass float would look cool if your tank's big enough, or you could always get a little one. I might go put one in my tank right now. That's a great idea to whoever suggested it.
I haven't seen any of the finding nemo decorations. I'll have to go have a look.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-19 11:29 pm   Permalink

So did anyone ever figure out what mugs would be safe for a fish tank? I just finished building and carving a stand for our new 55 gallon tank and I'm ready to get it going. I know that the older mugs contained lead based paint but what about the newer ones? I'm planning on washing the mugs with bleach before putting them in to the tank. The two busted mugs that I want to put in are like this one http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/marked/ama but are from Trader Dicks. Does anyone know if these mugs are cool? I think they are on the newer side of things.....

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LowKat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-20 10:30 am   Permalink

I'd think any "newer" ceramic pieces would be lead free. In my tank is a ceramic tiki salt and pepper set from a thrift store. It's been set up this way for a couple of years and I haven't had any mysterious fish deaths.

I have a bubbler stone under the tikis so the air collects inside of them, then every once in a while bubbles come out the top of their heads.

[ This Message was edited by: LowKat 2006-07-20 10:38 ]

View Profile of LowKat Send a personal message to LowKat  Email LowKat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-20 10:40 pm   Permalink

Well, I guess I'll give it a shot. We'll see. Thanks.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
john
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-06 12:54 am   Permalink

i've set up a large aquarium with crushed recycled glass for rocks and fused glass decoration pieces. went ahead and used a fiber optic unit to light up both the glass "rocks" as well as the decorations. the coolest part was the use of these silver metallic fish (i dont know what type they are), the light from the biber optics reflected off the fish and as the colors changed, so did the fish.

Creative Glassworks "Island Series"
http://www.creativeglassworksaz.com
john@creativeglassworksaz.com

View Profile of john Send a personal message to john  Email john Goto the website of john     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-22 6:04 pm   Permalink

I just set up my aquariums toay, well two of them, and I wanted to add some tiki flare to them. I have 4 of the polished aluminum framed aquariums ranging in sizes. The first one is my 12 gallon tank that I added some beautiful rocks in that the previous owner used to cut for jewerly. Don't worry, I let them soak in hot water over night in a bleach salution. I also added an Easter Island head that I picked up at Hobby Lobby a few years ago (I believe there is a thread about it her in TC).

The second one is on my rattan bar. It's a small 2 gallon that has been decorated in vintage aquarium decor with some added tikis that were shot glasses that came in a set a few years ago from Marshals.I filled in the shot glasses with stones so I wouldn't have fish go in and get stuck (same thing with the rapa nui in the above photo. Next weekend we are getting some fish for them. I've been thinking of getting freshwater puffers for the 2 gallon. If anyone has any comments about them I'd be open to hear about them (i also will search for any threads talking about fish here aswell)

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation