FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Well THAT would kinda suck !: Vic's Beverly Hills a goner?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Well THAT would kinda suck !: Vic's Beverly Hills a goner?
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 7:59 pm   Permalink

We should do a Trader Vic's Cross Country Bar Crawl.
I'll buy a ticket!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-31 8:21 pm   Permalink

Ben the bartender has been there since 1974. It's my hangout.....

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 01:13 am   Permalink

Well! I just got back from Trader Vic's. I finally saw it! But I honestly don't remember too much after the sitting down part. I ordered some drinks, and for some curious reason the rest of the evening is sort of blank. Hmmmmmm.

Details are coming back now. Decor was gorgeous, nice quiet ambience, extremely relaxing place to dine. My friend and I noticed that the two waiters who served us seemed to have been working at the place for decades, and they were a nice aspect of the experience. Yes, we could feel the years in the place. If they do, um, get rid of it soon, I will be sad about it.

I have read some less-than-flattering reviews of the food, but what I ordered was fairly amazing.

I had two Mai-Tais, by the way. When drinking, I very seldom have ordered more than one mixed drink, never been too serious about drinking; but the Mai-Tai was delicious, and two of them eventually had me considerably flattened!

[ This Message was edited by: procinema29 2006-04-03 14:23 ]

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 5:30 pm   Permalink

Was at Vic's on Saturday afternoon/evening and I noticed that they were giving away pieces already...not to me, but there were some good claims out already. Lots of menus under arms. Someone was making plans to take the big canoe!! So sad.

[ This Message was edited by: BettyBleu 2006-04-03 17:30 ]

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 5:42 pm   Permalink

Damn, whats the deal, if you wanna ransac( sp?) the place, you can just grap a souviner, and walk out with it??

so when are we gonna have a TC night before it's gone?
It's been awhile since I've been there.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 9:05 pm   Permalink

Pictures...pictures...pictures! For the sake of history, someone please be a tiki documentation hero and get some interior shots before more of the place walks away, piece by piece. All I got was this:

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 07:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-03 21:05, tikijackalope wrote:
Pictures...pictures...pictures! For the sake of history, someone please be a tiki documentation hero and get some interior shots before more of the place walks away, piece by piece.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 3:16 pm   Permalink

This shutting-down wrapping-up process seems to be happening even more quickly than I was thinking it would. Sounds like even if I get a chance to go back there in a few days, it'll be a different place, missing many pieces.

Oh, my.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 4:02 pm   Permalink

Is that true?! Are they really moving it out piece by piece and tearing down the current structure?

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-04 4:07 pm   Permalink

We are heading state side next week for Viva - and wanted to check out the Trader Vics in Beverly the following week - will it still be worth checking out?

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 4:28 pm   Permalink

Well, it seems to me that if they are giving away their menus, and making arrangements for people to cart away the various decorative objects, then the closing of the doors may come quite soon--within days, perhaps? That's what I think will probably happen...first the restaurant will cease to operate, and become cold and quiet for a week or two, while arrangements are made to bring in a crew to raze it.

If the restaurant were planning to continue operating even a short while longer than that, I don't imagine they'd be letting stuff walk out the door.

I got two little plastic drink spears with the little menehune guy. I didn't think to ask for a menu, wonder if I can get one still. If anyone is in the area and has a chance to get out there, it looks to me like now might be the time.

I could be being totally wrong and overcautious here!, but, I have found in the past that restaurants that I really like I usually become aware of shortly before they close. It has happened too many times before. I find a place, it's really amazing, and then I drive down to share the place with a friend, only to find the doors have been closed. So if I sound a little anxious, it's only because I am trying to err on the side of caution here.

[ This Message was edited by: procinema29 2006-04-04 17:02 ]

mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-04 4:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-04 16:07, tiki beat by marcus thorn wrote:
We are heading state side next week for Viva - and wanted to check out the Trader Vics in Beverly the following week - will it still be worth checking out?

I don't think it will be gutted by then.
Check out these links for Vegas and LA travel info;
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16026&forum=16 vegas

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16476&forum=16&22 Los Angeles

ALSO, PM me if you want to do the Vegas Neon boneyard your on Viva Saturday 4/15 at 1pm.

Now, back to the actual topic....

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-04 4:41 pm   Permalink

I am sure this makes many people very sad. It definitely makes me sad. It really is a beautiful place inside.

Michigan Rummy

Posted: 2006-04-05 08:03 am   Permalink

Based on this article in the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hilton1apr01,1,5626877.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true

...It appears that Benny Alagem has indeed presented his nefarious plans, but has yet to obtain approval from the Beverly Hills planning commission (including a deviation from current height restrictions).

I'm no expert on the planning and building code process for 90210, but my expectation is that there is going to be a liberal amount of time-consuming bureaucracy involved.

The article also states that, if approved, it would be three years before building begins.

Granted, they are probably wouldn't need any approvals to start shutting down and dismantling the Trader Vics... but it seems a little odd since it appears that it will be a while before they can replace it with another revenue-generating property.

It's obvious that Trader Vics at the Beverly Hilton is doomed, but it seems strange/unlikely that that they would be immediately moving to shut it down.

...maybe I'm just being optimistic since I won't be able to get over there until May 18th...

-Michigan Rummy

View Profile of Michigan Rummy Send a personal message to Michigan Rummy  Goto the website of Michigan Rummy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-05 08:32 am   Permalink

Any word on whether or not they are going to reopen in LA? It seems that TV's is undergoing a resurgence - opening new locations and all. It would be a shame to leave a city like LA without a Vic's.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation