[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Matriarchal or Patriarchal
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Matriarchal or Patriarchal
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 10:31 pm   Permalink

I thought it was a serious topic, not drunken or waaaay off topic but more in regards to where tiki came from as in a happier, healthier culture than the one we live in here in the US of A. (patriarchal)
Would MOST indigenous cultures be considered matriarchal?
Hawaiians? Indonesian? American Indian? Aborigines? Maori? The Maori were probably patriarchal since they were very warlike. Polynesians? Inuit?

Please note: Don't think too hard about this. I don't want anyone to feel bad.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 11:17 pm   Permalink

The man is the head, but the woman is the neck. And she can turn the head any way she wants.

I know, I know..

Tonight, we will have a big feast. And then, at the end of the feast, we will climb to the top of the Big Woo, and you will jump in. Okay?

View Profile of TikiTikiBoom Send a personal message to TikiTikiBoom  Email TikiTikiBoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amiotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-01 10:31 am   Permalink

Hey JT, this is an interesting topic! Most cultural anthropologists don't think of cultures so much as matriarchal or patriarchal - the more important traits or features are whether the societies are matrilineal or patrilineal. What these terms mean is that the lines of inheritance (including chieftanships, possessions, land, rights, etc.) are passed along either through the female line (matri) or male line (patri). In either one it isn't unusual for either a man or a woman to be a clan leader, though the usual pattern is male - in a matrilineal society it is often the matriarch's brother - not spouse - who is the 'alpha male'. This lineality characteristic generally has a strong influence on who raises offspring also. Family "A" will send their child to be raised (fostered) by its mother's brother (avunculocal fostering). Obviously, this can get really complicated...but the idea is that these interfamilial ties create societal cohesiveness - at least up to a certain population density/tribal size. I'm not particularly knowledgable about how either social structure affects the aggressiveness of various groups, but I would hazard a guess that environmental pressures are a greater trigger than whether a tribe is lead by a man or a woman.

Thanks for opening this line of conversation!

You can use wikipedia.com to learn more about how specific indigenous societies are (or were) structured - or try the search engine dogpile.com (my personal fave).

amiotiki

View Profile of amiotiki Send a personal message to amiotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-01 3:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-31 18:40, Tikiwahine wrote:
Oh ya? Well I like my women like I like my coffee..ground up and in the freezer, oh wait, no I don't.

I heard this one one the net some where: I like my women like I like my coffee, inside a burlap bag and dragged down the hills of Columbia by a donkey.

Sorry.

Anyway. I think if women were in charge, some events in history wouldn't of happened, namely WWI, WWII, and the Cold War. Some of these were really a pissing contest blown out of proportion.

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-01 5:41 pm   Permalink

In all seriousness, I'm happy to be married to a strong woman. Not just physically strong (although she can beat me at leg wrastlin' because she's got legs like an Ostrich) but emotionally strong and very focused. Of course it's not all fun and games. I'll start bitchin' about one of her projects and the expense and time involved and I get a stare back that makes me feel like an ant under a hot magnifying glass.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-02 1:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-31 15:37, tikifish wrote:
Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman?

Manly, yes, but I like it, too!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-02 1:31 pm   Permalink

Mariachical!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-02 5:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-02 13:31, freddiefreelance wrote:

... dudes always make the chicks stand in the back in mariachi bands... patrianarchy?

... perhaps...

... except that the chicks make poison burritos and turn the dudes gay while they sleep... matrianarchy?

... you betcha...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation