FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving this is it . . .
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
this is it . . .
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-02 8:58 pm   Permalink

my first log and going to be my first carving. i hope to document it here. i hope to get a lot of advice and encouragement. i got it at work. it's been sitting around horticulture for almost 2 years. it's about 4'6" and about 12-20" in diameter. still weighs about 150lbs. his name will be 5749. that's how we track all the palms on property. he still had this tag on him, so i decided he should keep it.

mahalo for looking

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2006-02-02 21:00 ]

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alldo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-02 9:06 pm   Permalink

Can't wait for the results. Keep us posted

-Alldo

View Profile of Alldo Send a personal message to Alldo  Email Alldo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-02 9:08 pm   Permalink

That's a beaut! Be sure to post progress pictures - there's a lot of potential in that there log. I wish we had wood like that around here in Virginniy.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-02 9:12 pm   Permalink

theres nothing like a blank canvas, or log, you can turn it into any thing you can dream up......start cuttin....

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook**

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-02 9:17 pm   Permalink

The Beatles said it best."Happiness is a blank log".

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-02 9:26 pm   Permalink

well, tomorrow i'm going to go out and buy a draw knife. i'm pretty excited.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-02 10:19 pm   Permalink

Cool dude - good luck man! 5749 aint real tiki, but its kinda cool anyways. How hes gonna be done - what style? Good luck with it man.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-02 10:39 pm   Permalink

heh, i know it's not real tiki. but, he came with a name and i think he was meant to live with it. i remembered that i have quite a few knives around that are sharp and functional. (read weapons, i do midieval recreation stuff). i started taking the bark off. it comes off like butter, but i don't know how deep to go. i can already see him coming out. he'll be traditional island with a headdress. i'm not quite ready to do a body.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-02 10:59 pm   Permalink

well, after about 1/2 hour with my 12", 15th century scottish dirk:

my shoulders hurt and i pulled out a bunch of splinters before i put my gloves on.

d'oh!

[ This Message was edited by: pdrake 2006-02-02 22:59 ]

tfisherart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-03 12:49 am   Permalink

Looks like some hard wood for palm,I have a couple of pieces of the same. I finished one and it was like carving stone. What is the tag for?
Best o' luck, keep it posted,

http://www.thomsart.com

View Profile of tfisherart Send a personal message to tfisherart  Email tfisherart Goto the website of tfisherart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-03 08:59 am   Permalink

the tag is for inventory and location. there are thousands of trees and plants on our properties. i guess it makes it easier to say, "go pull tree 5749" than to say, "go pull that weird, bent tree about 50 yrds from where that old lady fell and broke her hip in '95".

kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-04 09:56 am   Permalink

Aloha bruddah!
Looks like youve got some great material there...So, you live on a property with how many palms? cool bruddah! Hey so, no worries about calling da buggah 5749 but if you want to "tiki" it up a bit you can call him 5749 in Hawaiian: "Lima hiku ha iwa!" (pronounced "lee-ma-hee-koo-ha-eeva!"...
Sound mo bettah, yeah?

Anyway, keep posting da kine photos for us to spark!

Malama Pono!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-04 10:24 am   Permalink

mahalo!

that's it then.

i can see him starting to come out. i wish i had a day off sometime this month so i don't have to work in the dark.

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-04 10:41 am   Permalink

Pdrake, where you from?

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-04 11:20 am   Permalink

las vegas

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation