FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving JUMBOKU-he's back!--new pix 11-04 p.15
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
JUMBOKU-he's back!--new pix 11-04 p.15
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-04 10:05 pm   Permalink

...after a 3 year or so year absence. This will be about my 10th carving since my first one about 10 yrs ago. Stumbling across this site has kicked me back into carving mode, I must say. This is the 1st time I actually spent some time on the rough sketch on the log so hopefully my end result will be better than some my past works. Nothing extremely original with this design-just bits and pieces of carvings I've seen before, I guess. I 'skint' back most of the bark w/ a chainsaw then hit it with some 60 grit on the orbital sander for a smooth enough surface to sketch on with the "sharpie magnum". The sander is also a great eraser for the sharpie. No carving here in these pics-just sketched palm log. I'll try to post my progress.

[ This Message was edited by: surf-n-turf 2007-06-25 21:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Howland 2007-11-14 21:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Howland 2007-11-15 08:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Howland 2008-06-09 10:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Howland 2008-06-26 07:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Howland 2008-06-26 20:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Howland 2008-07-08 13:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Howland 2008-11-04 20:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Howland 2008-11-04 20:37 ]

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tfisherart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-05 01:31 am   Permalink

surf,
no pics yet but those 2 little boxes with the X on them would make for interesting work. Looking forward to seein' em'. They popped up, looks great.
Checked out your site very cool, especially the tourney prints.

http://www.thomsart.com

[ This Message was edited by: tfisherart 2006-02-05 01:44 ]

View Profile of tfisherart Send a personal message to tfisherart  Email tfisherart Goto the website of tfisherart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-05 11:13 am   Permalink

Thanks Thom - checked out your site as well- nice job on the watercolors. Tikis look good also. Really like the driftwood eel. Wish I could've developed a knack for the watercolor thing. Almost all my art is created in photoshop, illustrator or painter (or any combination of the 3). Hope to have a 'real' website soon instead of my bellsouth hompepage thing.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
StuTikiUK
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-05 3:48 pm   Permalink

Surf... you're kind of scary in that mask.

Nice sketching, he's going to look fantastic! Look forward to following your progress.

GeeWizz!

View Profile of StuTikiUK Send a personal message to StuTikiUK  Goto the website of StuTikiUK     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-05 8:22 pm   Permalink

I gotta go with Stu , your kinda scary. Looking forward to seeing some progress. Great start.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-05 8:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Cool!

Is the mask some sort of new Dust Mask??

Love the Spinal Tap-ism!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-05 9:18 pm   Permalink

Stu and Rodeo- what's behind the mask might be scarier!!!

RevBB- Yes, it's a great dust mask-it fills up with dust like a champ! Just clowning around actually, I could barely see through it so carving could be disastrous with such an accoutrement.

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-05 9:21 pm   Permalink

RevBB- Yes, it's a great dust mask-it fills up with dust like a champ! Just clowning around actually, I could barely see through it so carving could be disastrous with such an accoutrement
---------------

I give you an 11 on the clowning!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-06 8:04 pm   Permalink

So's i started roughing out a little earlier today on my sketched log-- and frustration has reared it's stinky head a little earlier than usual for a project like this. My log has numerous nails and screws embedded in it not to mention that it's chock full of sand (it was a roadside find-already cut to length of about 4 feet). My chain disc has suffered greatly from this tainted timber from tenth st. as evidenced by the burn marks on the close-up pic of rough-out. Also, I lost a good hunka' toe meat off the thing. I guess I'll have to make his feet a little shorter than planned or cut him off at the bottoms of his shins and nail a pair of shoes or flops to the underside!!???!?#$%^%@
this is the side I've roughed out mostly, except for headdress, chin and from the knees down

burnt from dull chain

the object of my most current frustrations (Surf-n-turfilosophy----the density of a species of wood is directly related to the sharpness of the tool used for cutting that particular piece of wood) I'll call this is a log of 'Ironpalm'

Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-06 10:42 pm   Permalink

Here's the toes I lost. It was a section of the outer layer of bark that is really soft and turns to dust at the site of a lancelot type carving disc. I usually try to skin all that stuff off and get down into the harder stuff, but I try to leave some of the outer bark for the areas I want to be protruding out farther than the inner,harder wood -like head-dress, nose, toes, knees. MAybe when I get my chain disc sharpened back up I can take the whole carving another level deeper into the log and the feet/toes isssue will work out.

Anybody know how to sharpen one of these. I had it done at a local tool sharpening business awhile back. The guy charged me an extra 4 bucks since it was a 'specialized' job (12$ instead of 8$ for normal c'saw) I guess it waas worth it, since I can't do it m'sef.

OUCH! that's what you get for trying to trim toenails w/ a chainsaw!

Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 04:53 am   Permalink

Who is that masked man?

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 10:11 am   Permalink

Surf'nTurf...as for the lost chunk-Super glue gel and a pipe clamp. Will actually set stronger than the wood fibers originally were. Your chain disk-I don't do the grinder thing but I know that you can get a decent chain sharpener at Slowe's . Looks like a round rasp file made out of ceramic. It'll have a little metal guide that comes with it.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 10:29 am   Permalink

Thanks BK- I'll pu t the super glue gel and the file kit on my slowes list.

Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 2:54 pm   Permalink

Fun and cool forum thread here. That tiki is gonna be cool when it's done.

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SCTikiShack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 5:05 pm   Permalink

Surf-n-turf,

It looks like you are going to have a killer tiki done soon. I feel your pain, most of my driftwood tikis have chunks that fall off. Gorilla Glue has been the life saviour of choice for my tikis. I usually will mix it with some sawdust and make sure whatever is being fixed is somehow tied down tight. After it dries a little sanding action and you're good to go.

Don't take my word for it, but it looks like you angle grinder attachment has a chain similar to a chainsaw. Therefore, a small chainsaw file should be adequate. As long as you can secure this tool it should be easy to sharpen. If what I said before is true, the guy at the sharpening shop is making a killing, he should be charging you $4.00 since it is half the work.

View Profile of SCTikiShack Send a personal message to SCTikiShack  Email SCTikiShack Goto the website of SCTikiShack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation