FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki VOODOO ROOM, WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
VOODOO ROOM, WEST HOLLYWOOD, CA (restaurant)
ALTIKI
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-05 03:17 am   Permalink

Name:VOODOO ROOM
Type:restaurant
Street:8948 SANTA MONICA BLVD.
City:WEST HOLLYWOOD
State:CA
Zip:90069
Phone:310-657-4832

Description:
HI, FROM LOS ANGELES...THERE NEW TIKI IN TOWN! THE VOODOO ROOM, 8948 SANTA MONICA BLVD.CALL 310-657-4832, THE LOOK IS NEO TIKI. ITS JUST OPEN AN ITS SMOKING HOT!!! TELL'M AL SENT YOU...YOUR GOING TO LOVE IT...

View Profile of ALTIKI Send a personal message to ALTIKI  Email ALTIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-05 11:30 pm   Permalink

Aloha, Al.

While your "neo tiki" description sounds promising, could you provide a few more details, beginning with whether there actually is tiki present, whether drinks are served in tiki mugs, as well as the cross-street?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-10 8:01 pm   Permalink

... and is it a gay bar? (it *IS* West Hollywood, after all).

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-13 10:26 pm   Permalink

I called and it appears they keep Tiki-Ti type hours, open Th - Sun.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-14 12:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-10 20:01, PiPhiRho wrote:
... and is it a gay bar? (it *IS* West Hollywood, after all).

Aloha PiPhiRo,

It is located across the street from "Rage," a very gay bar, just West of San Vicente.
However, such may be a good thing, if it could have the staying power and popularity of Rage & the other boy's town favorites.

Speading the tiki faith across all boundaries.

tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-14 12:54 pm   Permalink

Hmm, I wonder if it will have lots of TIKI "poles", carved out of "wood"? Maybe a shrunken "head" or two? Some glass fishing "balls" perhaps, or will there be lots of "fish nets"? There should be some coco "nuts" here and there also. Probably some pictures of "one-eyed" men "spearing" "sperm" whales from the "poop deck" and such. I'll bet everyone is very polite too, they'll even offer to push in your "stool"! See ya there, "matey"!

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 12:11 am   Permalink

OH MY GOD, WHAT AN INCREDIBLE TIKI BAR/RESTAURANT!

The Bar:

Pass by a giant, life size Ku replica, with flaming red eyes, bordered by two bird of paradise (after parking in their own (free) parking lot;

Belly up to the bar, under the palapa (illuminated by the fun & kitchsky tiki mini lights, in between the glass floats:

Select your own tiki mug (from Libby-free to use, and keeps the costs down when they walk away);

Imbibe the namesake cocktail, the Voodoo, a very well-balanced, tiki cocktail, served with a FLAMING 151 float ($10);

The Pupus:

Excellent grilled shrimp, with Mango sauce; barbecue ribs and numerous selections, each approx $9

The Restaurant:

Bosko tikis grace the walls;

The owner, Rob, added matting behind Oceanic Art masks for his own personal tiki touch;

Red walls, with large windows:

The Patio (my favorite):

A large moai, complete with red topknot (I don't know if it is scoria) stands a silent sentinel;

Palm trees sway in the breeze

A fireplace, to keep warm outside during those chilly nights

The Lounge:

In the patio, red suede sectionals await, black leather sectionals in the bar (very ready to get one's groove on)

The Clientele:

It is "straight," despite being located in boys town (which may be too bad - the boys bar across the way looked like it would be a far more lucrative enterprise)

Televisions:

None.

Music:

"Wild, Cool & Swinging" by Ultra Lounge.

Location/Parking:

One block west of San Vicente, on the SouthEast corner, across the street from Starbucks. Enter the parking lot traveling Eastbound on Santa Monica. Free parking.

Overall Impression:

Neo tiki, High TIPSY factor. The Gods would be amused.

The owners have created an environment to entice the hard-core tikiphile and the latest scenester, alike.

The closet comparison would be Mr. Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge in San Diego or
Drift in Phoenix.

MAHALO, TIKI AL FOR THIS INCREDIBLE TIKI FIND!

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 10:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-13 22:26, christiki295 wrote:
I called and it appears they keep Tiki-Ti type hours, open Th - Sun.

Thurs is an earlier night, closing around 11:00 pm

Fri & Saturday late.

Sunday, brunch (only).

Only open for approximately 3 weeks.

livinginlalaland

Posted: 2006-02-23 3:17 pm   Permalink

Hello, does this new Tikibar have a web site! Thank you

View Profile of livinginlalaland Send a personal message to livinginlalaland      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 7:02 pm   Permalink

Hey TT,
Dude, your killing me over here,But Hey be nice, TC has lots of different people
here. But I'm just suprised you "beat" Spermy to the Punch.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Quote:

On 2006-02-14 12:54, tikitortured wrote:
Hmm, I wonder if it will have lots of TIKI "poles", carved out of "wood"? Maybe a shrunken "head" or two? Some glass fishing "balls" perhaps, or will there be lots of "fish nets"? There should be some coco "nuts" here and there also. Probably some pictures of "one-eyed" men "spearing" "sperm" whales from the "poop deck" and such. I'll bet everyone is very polite too, they'll even offer to push in your "stool"! See ya there, "matey"!

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwmn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-27 10:52 am   Permalink

Went to the Voodoo Room last night with the Mr. and my friend Auntiki and her hubby. WOW! Every thing christiki295 said and more! We really had a great time, met the owner Rob and wife Dina, really great Hosts. The food is not your usual Polynesian fare, but it really kicks ass. Tapas, what a great idea! The drinks were great! I had two Voodoo Dolls, my hubby had a Key Lime Pie, said it tasted just like Key Lime Pie. Auntiki had a Tiki F*** Me Up, and couple of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. The Libby mugs were fine to drink out of, Auntiki had one signed by the Hosts and great crew, and smuggled it out! Their real mugs are in the works, as are some other aspects of the place. I look forward to seeing what they do. If you have any extra Tikis or other cool stuff, bring it in and Rob will hang it up.
The music was Ultra Lounge, and also a work in progress. I can see going back time and again. Check it out!

View Profile of Tikiwmn Send a personal message to Tikiwmn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 8:41 pm   Permalink

Since it's on Santa Monica, it's on the path of Route 66; so, now Trader Vic's is no longer alone in the distinction of being a tiki bar on Rt66, even if Vic's is the only vintage one.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-07 6:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2006-02-27 10:52, Tikiwmn wrote:[

The drinks were great! I had two Voodoo Dolls, my hubby had a Key Lime Pie, said it tasted just like Key Lime Pie. Auntiki had a Tiki F*** Me Up, and couple of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. The Libby mugs were fine to drink out of, Auntiki had one signed by the Hosts and great crew, and smuggled it out!

Don't you love the flaming cocktails. Pele would be pleased.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-09 12:32 am   Permalink

Here is the homepage, which has a link to the menu:

http://www.myspace.com/thevoodooroomweho

I highly recommend the shrimp pu-pus and the saffron shrimp. Emphasis on SPICY.

PS- I hear MeanGene will be adding to the already very tiki decor.

Tikiwmn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-10 3:13 pm   Permalink

Don't want to sound ignorant, but who's MeanGene?

View Profile of Tikiwmn Send a personal message to Tikiwmn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation