FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Mai Tai Pictures
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Mai Tai Pictures
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-13 1:47 pm   Permalink

Here's a mai tai (and my wahini) from the TV in the London Hilton, from August 2003:

It was pretty good - but I still think the one in Taipei was better.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 08:18 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-13 1:48 pm   Permalink

Here's a mai tai that I got in Amsterdam. It sucked. Too pink. I cannot remember the hotel where I got this lame drink... too bad - forwarned is fore armed, or something like that.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 08:15 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-13 6:10 pm   Permalink

The Chinese restaurant near my house makes the same pink nasty looking Mai Tai, but I keep going back to the place because the food is so good. I have never ordered another one of their Mai Tais.

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2006-02-13 18:12 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-13 7:28 pm   Permalink

Sorry to hear that! I'd look for another Chinese Restaurant, or if you're a regular, do what I did and teach them how to make one correctly! It worked well for me!

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-14 7:16 pm   Permalink

Here's a mai tai from Forbidden City in McLean Virginia. It tastes pretty good, but as you can see, it's missing a mint sprig. I got this drink tonight...

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 08:20 ]

Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-13 1:22 pm   Permalink

A Lounge of the Seven Pleasures Mai Tai in the 60th anniversary Trader Vic's glass-

[ This Message was edited by: Sabina 2006-03-13 13:24 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sabina 2009-03-03 17:34 ]

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-13 1:37 pm   Permalink

sabina, that mai tai looks fantastic...I'm sooo thirsty now.
Great picture

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-13 3:03 pm   Permalink

Somehow, I just don't think it'd make the hop across the pond in good shape Otherwise...

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-13 6:25 pm   Permalink

That one looks very professional! Nice job! I'd like to get me a set of those glasses!

Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-15 02:48 am   Permalink

We got our glasses from the Trader Vic's in Atlanta- (let me assure you, no excuse is ever needed to head down there- just go! No regrets!)

But if you can't make the trek, just head on over to the Trader Vic's website. The glasses can be found here-
http://www.tradervicsfoodproducts.com/default.asp just click on "barware" in the left column.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabina 2006-03-15 02:49 ]

foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 05:18 am   Permalink

Hey Sabina, Rob just got those, not bad, what I think is really nice is the Vic's shaker. It's pricey, but it performs as advertised. One of the nicest shakers I've used and I have a few at the house—only one of which, comes close. It forms a great seal with any respectable glass. I may consider one for myself.

Great thread, I'm going to have to mix up a Mai Tai and see if I can't get a decent photo to post.

By the way, nice meeting you folks.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-15 06:38 am   Permalink

Hi Foamy! It was good to meet you too, the other night - let's see a Foamy Mai Tai! Are you going to ikitnrev's party in April?

Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-15 07:14 am   Permalink

foamy, I'm ALMOST convinced, I've been contemplating the TV shaker for a while now. You've given me more to chew on. Mahalo!

This thread, and you folks are inspiring me to get some more pix going. As an aside, retracing my steps here, I BELIEVE the photo I took above was essentially the grog log recipe, (and yeah, there should be a garnish of pineapple on that too).

If any other folks post home bar Mai Tai pix I'd be interested in which recipes they're using and any specific touches they use in garnishes etc.

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 10:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-13 11:14, Doctor Z wrote:

Now THAT is how a Mai Tai is supposed to look!

A Mai Tai should ALWAYS be shaken and NEVER have a float - EVER! (And what's with the ones in the pic from the Honolulu? What's that 'stuff' at the bottom? Looks like they've been sittin' out so long all the ice has melted! Blecch!)

DrZ,
David Chan - owner and mixologist at the Honolulu - was a bartender at the DC Vics for years before opening his own place. He had his own secret Mai-Tai mix and believe me when I say his drinks were ono. Actually, he was bottling and selling the mix just after they closed the restaraunt. I have a bottle, but have not opened it for sentimetal reasons. No idea if it can still be purchased though.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-09-11 16:15 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-15 11:01 am   Permalink

Yes! It can still be purchased. Check out their website www.time2tiki.com! It's good stuff. I might know where to get a recipe for that. PM me.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation