advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Mai Tai Pictures
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
Mai Tai Pictures
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-07-02 2:51 pm   Permalink

On 2016-07-02 10:59, cvcgolf wrote:
You are using some great products right there.. What is the rum on the left?.. Do you always use Grand Marinier?.. I need some good curacao recommendations.. Been using Senior & Company which is great but they might not have it at my local stores next time.. I need a back up plan just in case it's gone..

[ This Message was edited by: cvcgolf 2016-07-02 11:00 ]

Looks like Clement XO on the left. I use Senior curaçao when I'm putting an agricole rum (typically Clement VSOP) in my Mai Tai. I'll use creole shrub if I put a Demerara rum (typically El Dorado 12) instead of an agricole. i still haven't experimented with Pierre Ferrand dry curaçao nor have I stepped up to Grand Marnier or other orange flavored liqueurs. I really should.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-07-03 6:25 pm   Permalink

Day One:
Sojourned to local liquor store. Employees on hand have never even heard of orgeat syrup. They doubt it could be stocked in the future since they "don't do a lot of mixers." Scour supermarkets for, at the very least, almond coffee syrup - but to no avail. Procure almonds for attempt at homemade orgeat.

Day Two:
Made a trip all the way to the nearest health food / naturopathic store specifically to find orange blossom water. The cashier is at least familiar with the product this time, but they do not stock it. Only rose water. Decide if I'm going to do the rest from scratch I might as well make my own rose water while I'm at it.

Day Three:
Distilled rose water from the full blooming rosebush in the back yard (Perfect timing). Zested the entire rind of one orange, one lime, and one lemon and macerated in vodka. Toasted almonds in oven before pulverizing in food processor. Almonds are simmered in simple syrup, then left to rest for 3 hours. Syrup is strained from the now candied almonds, and 1oz each of the rose water and citrus vodka is added.

The Result:
The orgeat is very dark compared to most commercial varieties I've seen, and very nutty. I may have toasted the almonds too long.

The Drink:

On first attempt, the nuttiness is almost overpowering. The recipe that was used as a base must not have accounted for such a strong flavor. Less orgeat, more orange liqueur, and the balance is better.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-03 9:46 pm   Permalink

A Mai tai probably shouldn't look like that. Order some bg Reynolds.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation