FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Vintage cocktails and cuisine (okolehao and MSG)
Vintage cocktails and cuisine (okolehao and MSG)
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-07 9:22 pm   Permalink

Picked up this great book on ebay several years ago. Being a new member, I thought I'd share.

Has some really good recipes like chicken lobster supreme in pineapple shells, volcano salad, Joan's polynesian ham loaf (with Rice Krispies as an ingredient!!!!), Balinese broiled chicken and the familiar Kalua pig wrapped in banana leaves. Also has some sushi and sashimi recipes. The food sounds good-only tried a few drinks so far.

Some of the recipes (food) call for MSG-you don't see that in cookbooks anymore. Most of the drinks call for okolehao, again not often seen these days.

It has some pretty cool sketches of tikis, leis, flowers, fish, baskets, bowls, etc. throughout the book also. The book is from 1964. Here's a few pages-need a recipe-email me. Sorry about the 'wop-sided' scans and I hope they're readable.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 08:18 am   Permalink

Yep, great book. I picked up a copy on Kauai of all places a few years back. The tiki graphics are great, and the recipes are fairly authentic. I recommend it highly to the home tiki chef.

Ahu

Fraternal Order of Moai

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AllisonV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-01 9:28 pm   Permalink

I have that cookbook, too!

I have a pretty large collection of vintage (mostly mid-century) cookbooks. I'm working on a paper on Polynesian pop cuisine - particularly as it relates to BBQing. Here are a few images scanned from my collection. Not all are tiki-related, some are just vintage outdoor cooking...I can cite the actual cookbooks (and the recipes!) for anyone interested.

This dessert is called "tropical parfait"

This menu is called the "Hawaiian special"

apologies for the crooked scan

I actually wanna do this at our next luau/grill out - mini table-top grills made from filling a flower pot with coals!

From Trader Vic's Pacific Island Cookbook - 1968

I particularly love the giant dog sitting in the background, resisting the giant hunks of meat all over the room.

View Profile of AllisonV Send a personal message to AllisonV      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-05-02 10:37 am   Permalink

I love this picture! Is it indoors, or out? Check out the triangular grill on the freeform firepit! And the steaks are immense! I want one!
Quote:

Thanks for sharing those.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 2:28 pm   Permalink

Wonderful. Thanks!

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 2:31 pm   Permalink

Those pictures are fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing them. Nothing quite says "sophisticated savage" like a man crouching over his raw meat atop his fire, while wearing a dress shirt and tie.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 2:32 pm   Permalink

Neat!
And note that those two bottom steaks are just stting on the wood coffee table - that's odd

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 2:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-02 14:32, Tikiwahine wrote:
Neat!
And note that those two bottom steaks are just sitting....

as bottom steaks, what else would they be doing?

... is that like, uh.. rump roast?

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation