FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki mugs by hmc
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki mugs by hmc
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-11 09:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-09 23:24, hmc wrote:
PLEASE, PLEASE give up!!! Did you give one of those online translators a go?

Good luck w/your first firing!

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-11 10:27 pm   Permalink

Clay master complete!

Friday night: build the shape...

Saturday: add features...

Sunday: smooth out features and refine...

TIP: Although you need to make your master approx 10% bigger than the final, I suggest adding extra to the height when using clay as it kinda compacts and shrinks as you work with it. This is true for the 1st and 2nd day. By the 3rd it has dried enough not to do this.

Next stage, silicon mold creation.

[ This Message was edited by: hmc 2006-02-11 22:28 ]

View Profile of hmc Send a personal message to hmc  Goto the website of hmc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-11 10:34 pm   Permalink

That is going to be one good looking mug.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-11 10:52 pm   Permalink

Wow Helen - thanks for the play - by - play! (Not to mention that the design is very cool!).

I always wondered how these things were made - I'm awaiting the next installment!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 10:43 am   Permalink

I can't wait for more info!!

Let us know what type of silicone you use to make the master and how the process works. That's the part I can't figure out.

I've got some tips on making the original I'll post when I get the photos on Monday.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-13 9:42 pm   Permalink

The only thing holding me up at the moment is trying to access electric scales! Darn it! The silicon parts A & B need to be measured by weight and kitchen scales just don't cut it.

Other than that, I've been getting my thoughts together on how to create the silicon mold the "economical" way which is by making a 1 part mold as opposed to a 2 part mold (which the plaster needs to be). Once I found out that the silicon is flexible enough to pull away from the clay master, I got it figured. (Imagine it's like pulling a sock off your foot).

So anyway, back to asking around for electric scales, which will no doubt cost me some time.

I guess I should add another tip while I'm here hey? OK...

TIP: Create your clay master as a solid, not hollow like a finished mug. If it is hollow, you will need to block the opening in order to create your mold. Also, you don't need to fire your clay master when making a silicon mold. Just let the baby dry. Mine has turned from a poo yellow colour (otherwise known as clay colour) to a white-ish colour.

[ This Message was edited by: hmc 2006-02-13 21:43 ]

View Profile of hmc Send a personal message to hmc  Goto the website of hmc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-14 03:59 am   Permalink

keep up the posts, this is looking great

thanks

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-14 05:03 am   Permalink

Absolutely. Love the step-by-step. Cool look'in mug ya got going there.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-14 07:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-13 21:42, hmc wrote:
The only thing holding me up at the moment is trying to access electric scales!

Try specialty kitchen supply stores like Bed, Bath & Beyond. Also firearms reloading/gun shops carry very precise gram scales. If you're just looking to "borrow" one for a minute, you might be able to use a scale in the produce section of the grocery store. Mine has a couple electronic scales out for the public to use. Hobby and craft stores may have the same.

Good luck! I LOVE this post!!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-14 10:31 am   Permalink

Lookin' cool, that mug is gonna rock!

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-15 10:26 am   Permalink

Is there a reason the clay master is made from clay rather than modelling clay like plasticine?

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 1:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-15 10:26, atomictonytiki wrote:
Is there a reason the clay master is made from clay rather than modelling clay like plasticine?

This clay *is* modelling clay, but it isn't plasticine.

Plasticine wasn't an option when I learned how to make masters, it was either plaster or modelling clay.

I'm going to make an assumption here and say that, maybe because plasticine doesn't dry up solid?

atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-15 1:35 pm   Permalink

Is the clay original sculpt going to be destoyed in the making of the silicon master? i think i should just wait to see how this process unfolds.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 1:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-15 13:35, atomictonytiki wrote:
Is the clay original sculpt going to be destoyed in the making of the silicon master? i think i should just wait to see how this process unfolds.

No it won't be destroyed. It will however crack in time, therefore I want to make a master that will last longer. Hence creating a silicon master.

I could go onto make a plaster mold from this clay master but I choose not to, as I want to be able to make these mugs for quite some time.

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 3:22 pm   Permalink

hmc
Quote:
I want to be able to make these mugs for quite some time.

Right On !!!!

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2006-02-15 15:22 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation