FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki mugs by hmc
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki mugs by hmc
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 02:26 am   Permalink

Okily-Dokily... Finally more pics and information!

Ceramic slip - I used Mid-Fired White Eathernware. This slip is ideal for mugs, it's durable and strong for those times of chink-chinking and washing up hazards.

Pouring in the ceramic slip.

As you leave the ceramic slip inside the mould, it starts to dry and you can see the edges forming a wall. By tilting the mould you can see how thick the mug is getting. I leave mine for approx 20-30 minutes:

Then tip it over and pour him out (do the hokey pokey):

Let it drip for about 15 mins:

The ceramic slip includes a content called "defloculant" which helps the ceramic slip stay put and not ooze to the bottom in a heap of mush.

The top can be cleaned up at this stage and the edges can be tidied up after you pull him out as he's still soft then:

As it dries (I leave mine for a minimum of 2 hours before pulling out) the mould sucks the moisture away from the ceramic slip making the mug shrink. The mug continues to shrink as it dries completely (hence needing to create a mould about 10% bigger than the finished size). You can see the size differences in this row of mugs:

[ This Message was edited by: hmc 2006-03-21 02:53 ]

View Profile of hmc Send a personal message to hmc  Goto the website of hmc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 03:36 am   Permalink

Cool! Nice mugs Helen! That mold did a good job, cant wait to see em with glaze

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 10:50 am   Permalink

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? HMC comes along... LightBUlb.

I always wondered about the slipcast sticking to the walls. Thanks for solving life's great mysteries.

Hey, anyone want to know the meaning of life?

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 12:24 pm   Permalink

Meaning of Life = To sit with one's self at thine computer. Forever contemplating the meaning of life.

Very cool design on your mugs! Those are sweet.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 1:52 pm   Permalink

thanks for the 'how to', the mugs are looking great, can't wait to see them finished and full with booze

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-21 1:55 pm   Permalink

Looking great, thanks for the wonderful thread!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-26 5:56 pm   Permalink

Those are some great designs, very inspiring, one hot tiki!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-26 6:39 pm   Permalink

I think you have done this before.... What a great lesson thread from beginning to end. can't wait to see the rest. Excellent!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-27 12:36 pm   Permalink

Did the shrinking of the mugs solve the problem with the lip undercut? or have you hacked at your silicon master to improve the molds.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 5:39 pm   Permalink

hmc

Your mugs arrived today. I really like them. What a fun thing to do. Don't stop now we need more!!!!!
Thanks

View Profile of poptiki Send a personal message to poptiki  Goto the website of poptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-22 10:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-21 17:39, poptiki wrote:
Don't stop now we need more!!!!!

exactly how did you glaze them? where did you fire them? i need closure on this thread

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hmc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-20 01:14 am   Permalink

Apologies for the massive delay in posting the final stage! I've been busy making little arms, legs, ears, eyes etc in my belly for the last 5 months!!! And I guess because *I have seen the outcome* I have been slack in sharing it with you guys.

So, here's the line up of mugs to be fired (first firing):

They took about 2-3 days to dry at the point where they could be fired. Depending on the weather and room temperature - this may differ.

Once I got them back home - it was time to glaze them. I gotta say, although the glaze colours were (supposed to be) honey and the other a dark choc brown, I really loved the charcoal velvet look of the un-fired glaze.

The instructions state to add 3 generous coats... I add what I think is 3 *generous* coats....

They were then sent for their 2nd firing (if they survived the 1st one, it doesn't mean they are safe to survive the 2nd!). As you can see in the outcome, the glaze is not even nor is it "thick". The honey looks "honey-ish" and the dark choc brown... well - what colour do you think we can call it?!

But, on the bright side - they do look very antique-y, like the first "un-earthed" tiki mugs... in Australia!

So the next time I do this (will be next year after we settle in with the new addition to the family) I will certainly give these little suckers 3 GENEROUS coats of glaze

Thank you all for your enthusiasm in this thread - and your patience!

View Profile of hmc Send a personal message to hmc  Goto the website of hmc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-20 03:55 am   Permalink

finally the update we've all been waiting for hmc.
the aged effect just adds to the angriness of these little fellas!
well done!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-20 04:54 am   Permalink

Excellent How-to post HMC, Thanks for taking the extra time to show us how to make our own mugs.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-07-20 2:59 pm   Permalink

You say the mugs might not survive the 2nd fireing, so what if you cast ten mugs are you going to have ten mugs or are you looking at loosing half in the process?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation