[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Orgeat Syrup Brands
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Orgeat Syrup Brands
TikiMikeNJ
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-10 07:53 am   Permalink

Has Anyone tried "Finest Call" brand orgeat syrup? Check it out on their website www.finestcall.com or has anyone tried Fee Brothers Orgeat syrup? Just curious! Let me know if you have!

View Profile of TikiMikeNJ Send a personal message to TikiMikeNJ  Email TikiMikeNJ     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-10 07:58 am   Permalink

Just Trader Vics brand for me. I do have Fee Bros. Falernum and its good.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-10 12:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-10 07:53, TikiMikeNJ wrote:
Has Anyone tried "Finest Call" brand orgeat syrup? Check it out on their website http://www.finestcall.com or has anyone tried Fee Brothers Orgeat syrup? Just curious! Let me know if you have!

I use Finest Call Orgeat. I was told by the knowledgeable people at Hi-Time Cellars that Finest Call makes good products. I also use their Passion Fruit Syrup and Simple Syrup for mixing from all three of Jeff Berry's books. Finest Call seems to have a higher percentage of real fruit juice in their products than most other brands.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-10 1:22 pm   Permalink

I like the French Philbert Routin 1883 syrups best.
Routin has been a syrup producer since 1883.

They're made from pure, natural fruits, spices and flavors with no artificial flavors and no preservatives.
That said, my passion fruit syrup has been good for the past three years, with no degradation of flavour or colour. The orgeat gets used up quickly

Flavours available:

Almond(same colour/flavour as Orgeat) Amaretto Apple Banana Blackberry Blackcurrant Blue Curacao Bluberry Caramel Chai Cherry Chocolate Cinnamon Coconut Coffee Cranberry Eggnog Frosted Mint Hazelnut Irishcream Kiwi Lemon Lime Macadamia Mango Mint Orange Passion Fruit Peach Pistachio Raspberry Roasted Hazelnut Strawberry Tiramisu Vanille Violet Watermelon

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-02-10 1:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-10 12:16, TikiSan wrote:
I use Finest Call Orgeat. I was told by the knowledgeable people at Hi-Time Cellars that Finest Call makes good products. I also use their Passion Fruit Syrup and Simple Syrup for mixing from all three of Jeff Berry's books. Finest Call seems to have a higher percentage of real fruit juice in their products than most other brands.

TikiSan,
How does the Finest Call Orgeat compare to the Trader Vic's Orgeat?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-10 10:07 pm   Permalink

The Orgeat I use is Torani, and unfortunately I haven't really found any others to compare against. I am however, perfectly happy with it's price, flavor and availability so I'm not in any big rush to find a different brand.

As for Finest Call... I really like their Grenadine and other various mixers I have tried in the past, so I would expect that their Orgeat/Almond would be just fine.

-T.J.

P.S. This thread reminds me... I'm running low, only one bottle left in my overstock.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-11 07:50 am   Permalink

Trader Vics. Period.

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-11 07:54 am   Permalink

I use Monin

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-11 11:46 am   Permalink

I like using Finest Call cause it comes in a HUGE bottle. I've used Torani before, not much difference. I don't think I've ever tried the TV brand, though.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 08:18 am   Permalink

For anyone unable to find it locally and unwilling to pay the high shipping costs of ordering from a supplier, or those simply inclined towards kitchen-sink experimentation, you might be interested in this recipe for making your own Orgeat syrup, that I found this morning at The Art of Drink.

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rotterdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 09:28 am   Permalink

What about Monin syrup?
Very popular in Europe.
http://www.monin.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Rotterdam 2006-02-12 09:31 ]

View Profile of Tiki Rotterdam Send a personal message to Tiki Rotterdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 09:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-11 07:54, virani wrote:
I use Monin

Since Monin's been around since 1912 Vic himself may have used it for the first Mai Tais (according to tradervics.com Vic originally used a "French Orgeat")

I'll have to try it. Right now I've got a bottle of Torani and two different TV's. I bought one simply because it had a 60'th anniversary vintage looking logo, (yeah I'm a marketing sucker) and prefer the Vic's.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 12:19 pm   Permalink

A blog I read called Eye Of The Goof posted a link recently to this article about orgeat syrup at The Art Of Drink:
http://www.theartofdrink.com/blog/2006/02/orgeat_syrup.php

EOTG:
http://reality.sgiweb.org/mattm/balihai/archives/000756.html

Enjoy!
~Rupe

PS - I have some Fee Brothers, which is available from www.time2tiki.com (the proprietors of the late, great Honolulu Restaurant in Alexandria, VA), but have yet to crack the bottle open yet. They also recently posted info about a 32-oz bottle being available.

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 3:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

A blog I read called Eye Of The Goof posted a link recently to this article about orgeat syrup at The Art Of Drink

Psst....look 4 posts up...

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2006-02-12 15:09 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-02-13 7:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-12 09:58, hodadhank wrote:

Since Monin's been around since 1912 Vic himself may have used it for the first Mai Tais (according to tradervics.com Vic originally used a "French Orgeat")

The brand Vic used in the first Mai Tai was French, but it was named Garnier. I don't know if it exists anymore.

Virani?

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation