FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Orgeat Syrup Brands
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Orgeat Syrup Brands
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-14 09:07 am   Permalink

I use Lejay-Lagoute (another French brand) for the simple reason that the wine merchants in town stock a good range. It's not bad at all. If I've run out a little Amaretto is a vaguely passable substitute.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadtownTiki

Posted: 2006-02-19 6:02 pm   Permalink

Found some Orgeat mix at Binny's in Naperville, IL, this weekend. Made by Collins Bros. (http://www.collinsbrothersinc.com/), about $3.95 a bottle. Not a bad deal and I used it to make some mean mai tais. Can't really compare it to other Orgeat syrups, but it tastes great to me!

View Profile of MadtownTiki Send a personal message to MadtownTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-04 12:29 am   Permalink

I've used Torani, Fee Brothers, and Monin Orgeats. Starbucks, (around here in NOVA), has Monin usually, and they have sold me bottles of it for large sums of money.

"World Market" in Northern Virginia carries the Torani brand, and it's pretty good, and not too expensive, but they do not always have it.

Fee Brothers is just fine with me, cheap, and readily available (at the enmd of a phone line, and 2-3 days away). The guys there are very good to deal with. You just have to buy a case at a time, which I have started doing

I do not have a discerning-enough pallet to comment on the quality of the flavor, or the "nose" or the "finish" etc; they all seem to work equally well in my Mai Tais.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-03-04 00:29 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
marika
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 11:34 am   Permalink

I use Teisseire syrups, ( http://teisseire.soprane.fr/international/en/fruit_syrups.htm ) they are available here and since I knew the brand I preferred to use these ones than a brand I didn't know although they were less expensive (which obviously doesn't mean it's not a good brand just because i don't know it).

I find them expensive though about 12$ a bottle.

View Profile of marika Send a personal message to marika  Goto the website of marika     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohacurrent
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-25 10:35 am   Permalink

After reading Jeff Berry's article/biography of the life and times of Bob Esmino entitled 'Full Metal Jigger' I am curious how many of you have tried his Premier Essence brand orgeat, or passionfruit etc and what you thought of it. Bob definitely brings a lot of bartending experience to his drink mixes, but I'm curious to know how it tastes alone and with cocktails.

View Profile of alohacurrent Send a personal message to alohacurrent  Email alohacurrent     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-25 12:44 pm   Permalink

I got my hands on a bottle of the Torani sugar free orgeat. I don't know what I was thinking. The artificial sweetener taste dominates and completely ruins a Mai Tai. I'm sticking with the Trader Vic's from now on.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
reedalong
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-25 4:06 pm   Permalink

My well-intentioned father-in-law once purchased Almond Roca flavored syrup instead of orgeat (knowing that orgeat was "almond flavored"). While it is not by any stretch a substitute for orgeat (and proper orgeat was promptly purchased thereafter), it makes for an interesting dessert-like flavor for an after-dinner drink if included in a mai tai recipe.

- strictly on the kini popo -

View Profile of reedalong Send a personal message to reedalong      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-10-28 09:19 am   Permalink

I've only used Monin and Torani brands and have had to order them on line. My preference is for the Torani: To me it has a better overall almond flavor.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-28 10:48 am   Permalink

Here are several orgeat recipes. I have not tried them but have made a few bitters and essences and let me tell you, there is a big difference with factory made brands.

French cookery adapted for English families (1853):
http://books.google.com/books?vid=OCLC11642909&id=v0gCAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA6-PA209&lpg=RA6-PA209&dq=orgeat&as_brr=1

Cooling Cups and Dainty Drinks (1869):
http://books.google.com/books?as_brr=1&id=7T8CAAAAQAAJ&vid=OCLC07627247&dq=orgeat&jtp=61

A Treatise on the Manufacture of Liquors, Syrups, Cordials and Bitters (1884):
http://books.google.com/books?vid=0IVBiXxadsTHHTfeTPqWMd&id=b9gs_pYaaVQC&pg=PA22&dq=bitters

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thistle
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-02 1:19 pm   Permalink

I purchased orzata from A.G.Ferrari, thanks to a tip on egullet, also got the Tamarind syrup, because I didn't want to get just one bottle & tamarind seems well-suited to tropical drinks. I look forward to trying them out...

View Profile of thistle Send a personal message to thistle  Email thistle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-06 9:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-25 10:35, alohacurrent wrote:

After reading Jeff Berry's article/biography of the life and times of Bob Esmino entitled 'Full Metal Jigger' I am curious how many of you have tried his Premier Essence brand orgeat, or passionfruit etc and what you thought of it. Bob definitely brings a lot of bartending experience to his drink mixes, but I'm curious to know how it tastes alone and with cocktails.

I too would like to know if anyone has used any of Premier Essence mixes. But I'm guessing at how everyone keeps talking about other mixes that no one here has. He's the web site:
http://roskinincorporated.com/. I've never seen them in stores to my knowledge. But after reading about the company's CEO Bob Esmino in "Sippin' Safari" I'm intrigued.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-10 3:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-11 11:46, TikiJosh wrote:
I like using Finest Call cause it comes in a HUGE bottle. I've used Torani before, not much difference. I don't think I've ever tried the TV brand, though.

I used TV's for years, but the shipping is a killer, and people are
expressing reservations about apparently recent changes in the formulations of TV syrups. Most recently tried Torani and DaVinci. Liked Torani better than DaVinci (which tasted a bit thin), but neither seemed as good as TV.
I decided to order some from Finest Call (along with some Passion Fruit Puree and Hurricane Mix). I ordered it online, 8 1-liter bottles total, standard shipping. With shipping, it came to $6.50/bottle. They had it out the door to FedEx in under 4 hours, and I had it in just under 52 hours!
I think the Orgeat is very close to the TV brand, in look, taste and mouth-feel. I'm glad, because I got 4 bottles.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2007-08-10 16:14 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tigerlily
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-08-10 11:22 pm   Permalink

FYI - I found Torani Orgeat at Smart & Final (go figure) for next to nothing by accident while I was waiting for the bottle to arrive I ordered on line after checking all over.

View Profile of Tigerlily Send a personal message to Tigerlily      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-30 08:10 am   Permalink

Touch of Europe sells the Teisseire line of syrups as well as the line from Rieme. Rieme makes a French almond syrup that looks like orgeat but I haven't tried it. Order $50-worth of stuff from them to get free shipping.

I prefer to make my own. I used to buy Teisseire to keep on hand when my homemade would run out. Homemade is best, but it's a bit of a chore and takes 2 3 days or so making the almond milk and reducing the syrup without cooking it. To give you an idea, check this out. It's the easiest method I've found to make real almond milk.

But I came up with a recipe that I call Emergency Orgeat that takes 10 minutes to make. Even though it's not nearly as good as the 3-day real deal, my Emergency Orgeat still tastes better than Tesseire and, of course, works just as well in any drinks.

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2007-08-30 08:11 ]

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-30 10:06 am   Permalink

Gnomon, do you have instructions for making Rock Candy Syrup? Thanks...

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation