FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Orgeat Syrup Brands
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Orgeat Syrup Brands
TikiTie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-30 1:57 pm   Permalink

I'm going to use a friend's recipe to make some orgeat this weekend for his (commercial) bar, but more importantly, make extra for my house. Does anyone have any experience with preservation methods? Vodka/Brandy seem to be one route, but I was thinking of using Ball jars. Orgeat doesn't seem acidic enough to preserve with the hot water method...is it? I've never tried pressure canning before.

View Profile of TikiTie Send a personal message to TikiTie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-30 11:37 pm   Permalink

visited the Italian market yesterday and got a bottle of Toschi orgeat, imported from Italy.

it's quite concentrated, so in using it in a mai-tai i've followed the TV formula and used 1/4 orgeat with 1/4 rock candy syrup, instead of my usual method of using 1/2 oz orgeat while omitting the rock candy syrup. a necessary adjustment with the pungent Toschi!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 30 days ago; 06:34 am   Permalink

I don't see any mention of BG Reynolds in this thread. It's the only store bought kind I've tasted and I think it's quite good, although I have nothing to compare it to. I may try doing a homemade batch when my current bottle runs low to see if it's worth the extra effort but for now I think this stuff works great in a cocktail, and on pancakes.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 30 days ago; 07:43 am   Permalink

I believe Orgeat Works T'Orgeat to be the finest orgeat for Tiki cocktails that one can buy.

I still make it myself at home - a shortcut version without toasting almonds in 8 oz. batches - to keep the rotation going.

Cheers!

Jack

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 30 days ago; 11:07 pm   Permalink

Dang, I've never even heard of Orgeat Works before! For the record, there maybe is no BG Reynolds' mention in this thread, but its everywhere else on the site. I definitely prefer and recommend it for anybody wanting store-bought. I tried the whole Small Hands bit but wasn't a fan at all. Currently I am using Monin as I need something that will preserve w/o refrigeration and have cut back on my frequency of making drinks.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 29 days ago; 11:27 am   Permalink

I will happily use BG Reynolds, Small Hand Foods or Wilks and Wilson. They're all excellent.

Of the coffee house variety, the only one I really liked was Routin 1883.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 29 days ago; 1:12 pm   Permalink

Here's the info on the Orgeat Works products. I had no idea that they had three varieties - and all three look intriguing!

http://www.orgeatworks.com/htmlpages/products.html

Cheers!

Jack

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 27 days ago; 10:48 am   Permalink

I was going to get a bottle of Orgeat Works' macadamia syrup, 'til I saw the shipping price in the shopping cart. Yikes!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation