Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Oregon-produced booze
Oregon-produced booze
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-14 07:04 am   Permalink

Good story on the growing spirits industry in Oregon. I can vouch for the quality of many of the products mentioned!
http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/exclude/1139505906150720.xml?oregonian?fdes&coll=7

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 12:11 pm   Permalink

From that article:

"I tasted (Cascade Mountain Gin) chilled with a lemon twist, and if you're a fan of smooth, subtle gins, Cascade Mountain Gin is a great choice. "

I bought a bottle of this a while back and would not describe it as "subtle" or a "great choice".
Bendistellery has a big deal on the bottle about the mountain juniper berries used in making it and that's pretty much all you can taste. But it's not a strong juniper flavor in a good way...It has a definite element of cat urine to it. The only way I finished the bottle was to put a splash of the Cascade Mountain (Cat) Gin into a drink with the rest of the gin being a better balanced brand. Only with the help of higher powers and my own will was the bottle of Cascade Mountain (Cat) Gin eventually emptied.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2006-02-21 08:17 am   Permalink

Mmmmmmmmm...cat urine.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2006-02-23 06:37 am   Permalink

Another story on locally-produced spirits...this one from the big "alternative" newsweekly:
http://www.wweek.com/editorial/3216/7272/
Be sure to click on the sidebar, "The Price of the Pour," for a marionberry cocktail recipe.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation