[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Westminster Dog Show
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Westminster Dog Show
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-14 8:51 pm   Permalink

I am addicted to this! And I don't even have a dog. I'm not even sure how I feel about breeding dogs, as opposed to adopting strays (I would opt for the latter, for several reasons) But my brother has a collie, and he's so sweet, and good with the kids (he herds them, it's really funny) And my parents inherited a Rhodesian Ridge-back, who is the smartest, most beautiful dog ever.

I'm not trying to start a debate about purebreds vs. mutts, or dogs vs. cats, or dogs vs. kids, or dogs vs. tiki bars, I'm just saying how much I love the Dog Show, and how weird it is (that I'm THAT into it). It's really interesting to hear the history of all the breeds.

I also LOVE the Christopher Guest movie, Best In Show.

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 08:25 am   Permalink

I too am a dog lover! My wife and I have a Papillion. Beautiful! Have you checked out dogster.com? My wife is addicted to it.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 10:03 am   Permalink

See, I'm NOT a dog person, which is why I think it's strange that I'm so drawn to the dog show. I mean I like dogs, we might get one someday, but I never had one as a kid, and I don't have one now. There's something about it I really like, I like that the judge has the final say and there's never any 'dog show parents' contesting their decision. Although, I'm sure there's a seedy underbelly of dog show life Plus, every time I see a dog jump up on their handler, I think of the Fred Willard character in BIS saying, 'he went after her like she was made out of ham' heehee.

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 7:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-14 20:51, mrs. pineapple wrote:

I'm not trying to start a debate about ... dogs vs. tiki bars...

I'd have to go with dogs (but tiki bars are a very close 2nd )

I've been addicted to the WKC show for years. It's one of the few sporting events (if I can call it that) that no matter whose team you're rooting for, you still feel pretty good at the end... unless, of course, you bet all your money on a Herding dog to win Best in Show.

The fact that you consider yourself not to be a dog person yet you can't stop watching just proves that
The Puppy Channel would have been a success had it gotten off the ground. Did you watch ThePuppyBowl on Super Bowl sunday?

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified 2006-02-15 19:03 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 7:15 pm   Permalink

we went last night. it was fun. my wife loves it!

the first time i went w/ my wife (probably 4 years ago), i was dubious but ended up really getting into it. every time i've gone, i've had a favorite.

it's interesting to go for the people watching alone (think about the cross section of society that loves dogs).

the crowd went CRAZY for that golden retriever.

the best part is going backstage before the show to meet all the doggies & their owners.

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-15 7:45 pm   Permalink

Glacier & I have been to Westminster twice.. its the equivalent of Dog Olympics. well, no, more like a beauty show ~ but provides memories for a lifetime. The Pennsylvania Hotel was where Best in Show was filmed, and its a dive. an expensive dive (the rooms are tiny and drafty and haven't been updated in eons)..

Glacier won an Award of Merit, cant find a pic to scan.. but truely was the highlight of his career.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 10:00 pm   Permalink

Z - I didn't watch the puppy bowl, but mr. pineapple and his co-workers had an idea for the puppy truck, which would come around and let you play with the puppies, I think it was modeled after the swimming pool truck that Otto drove on the Simpsons!

The Golden Retriever was lovely, Carter goes to daycare at a house with golden retriever who is specially trained to be around babies, he's really sweet, the kids lay all over him and Carter comes home covered in blond hair every day. I always root for the weirdest looking dog I liked the mop dog who won a few years ago. I also have a soft spot for Newfoundlands.

I would like to go and watch the people too, the TV announcers mentioned that Westminster is one of the few big shows where you can go back and meet the doggies, that would be fun!

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 11:43 pm   Permalink

I, too, saw the pooches at the Westminster Dog Show, although my condo association is so lame as to prevent dogs.

I would like a tiki bar, where you can bring a dog, or atleast a patio where the pooch can be tied up - like Drift in Pheonix.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 12:55 pm   Permalink

My parents exposed me and my sisters to "the seedy underbelly of the dog show world" when we were kids. I love dogs, but do not care for dog shows. Pure bred dog lovers become completely obsessed with their hobby. Basically, they spend way too much time and money on their hobby. Aside from buying the dogs themselves, and feeding them, their costs usually include traveling all over the country to meet with other dog lovers at dog shows. They build kennels at their homes, and special rooms to hold their trophies and ribbons. It gets so bad, they start small home businesses to support their dog show expenses. Some dog lovers have even been known to write books and publish magazines about this completely frivolous pursuit. Others buy these books and magazines, but the authors never seem to get rich. Some dog lovers can be extremely petty, while others are way too trusting.
Now let's turn our attention to next year's Hukilau, the tiki carvings we plan to sell, when Sven's Witco book will be published and how we hate being sniped at the last minute when bidding on a mug. Afterwards we can all have free drinks at my house!

KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 2:03 pm   Permalink

You said it, KG! Dog show people are freaks!

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-22 8:43 pm   Permalink

It is once again time for that show of shows, that dog of dogs, that 2-day New York affair with the pooches.....THE WESTMINSTER DOG SHOW.

The
Westminster Dog Show will show on the USA network as follows:

FIRST NIGHT:
Live Telecast: Monday, Feb 12 (8-11 PM Live ET / 8-11 PM PT)

SECOND NIGHT:
Live Telecast: Tuesday, Feb 13 (8-11 PM Live ET / 8-11 PM PT)

I know some of you will be watching this. I never miss it.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-22 11:37 pm   Permalink

"For the dog you buy, two will die."

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-23 08:38 am   Permalink

The wife and I just got back from the Ventura Dog Fancier's dog show in...you guessed it, Ventura, CA. It was a lot of fun. It is true that dog show people can be freaks, this show was much more relaxed and everyone was approachable and into conversation. I've been to dog shows where some handlers/owners are real snobs. Funny, the dogs could care less. Perhaps people should take a cue from their dogs.

Woof.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-24 05:14 am   Permalink

We all have our freak flags to fly.

I just love the Westminster Dog Show commercials too....especially the Afghan with the wind-blown hair. I know the whole thing is political and who-know-who....but when those beauties prance around the ring I am totally addicted. I always learn a lot from the show too...the narration is always wonderful.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-24 8:06 pm   Permalink

I'm completely pro shelter dogs & mutts. But I still get hooked watching for a while, too, at least certain groups. It's just fun seeing the different breeds I like and maybe learning a bit about them. I remember seeing a St. Bernard win a few years ago (may not have been Westminster) - it was great seeing a big hairy slobbery dog win for once.

I was really disappointed last year when I forgot to watch the second night and missed seeing Rufus the Bull Terrier win Best in Show.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation