Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Sci-Fi costume help wanted
Sci-Fi costume help wanted
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 1:42 pm   Permalink

I have to be the master of ceremonies at a sci-fi burlesque event and i want to have the best costume anybody got any ideas about knocking up a good B-movie style space outfit? Preferably without a helmet so i can use a microphone.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 2:53 pm   Permalink

Three words:

ASK PURPLE JADE!!

She did up her (now dearly-departed) home in a FAB sci-fi thing a few years back. And she looked great to boot (duh!).

Vintage Girl could also be uber helpful, I bet.

F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 4:33 pm   Permalink

Tin foil, duct tape and a can of silver spray paint are all you need to live in the future today!

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-15 8:38 pm   Permalink

This has a helmet, but you don't have to put a flace plate on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Monster

RO-MAN! From Robot Monster! All you need is a gorilla siut and a helmet.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scarysnarles
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-16 07:11 am   Permalink

Tenticals from old hoses, old mop heads (washed of course)for hair -(Cousin It).Bubble wrap is awesome for getting popped by the pretties.

View Profile of scarysnarles Send a personal message to scarysnarles  Email scarysnarles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 3:51 pm   Permalink

What about using 70's era Bootsy Collins, Commodores, Earth, Wind & Fire or glam rock outfits for inspiration?

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tfisherart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-18 02:35 am   Permalink

atomic,
Check out a construction site and/or store and look for some of that shiny ventalation pipe for your arms, should be real tacky.

http://www.thomsart.com

View Profile of tfisherart Send a personal message to tfisherart  Email tfisherart Goto the website of tfisherart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiTavi
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-18 04:40 am   Permalink

Here's a guy who made his own costume http://www.tronguy.net/TRONcostume/ to look like a character from Tron. This link was sent to me ages ago from a friend who wrote, "You have to see this to believe it."

TTT

View Profile of TikiTikiTavi Send a personal message to TikiTikiTavi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 01:15 am   Permalink

Hey TikiTikiTavi, that was hilarious! I'm sure Syd Mead would be proud.

Anyway, just chiming in with a suggestion for space costumes in general:
For men—it' amazing what can be done with a jumpsuit.
For women—it's amazing what can be done with a bodysuit and tights.
Take one or the other and just start building on that. If you look at pics of the costumes in Forbidden Planet, the guys basically wear jumpsuits with a utility belt and some extra design elements like padded triangular epaulets (which can be made from some fabric-covered foam and attached to the suit.) A friend of mine also added a home-made badge made up to look like a tiny electronic control panel. (It was just painted and had different colors of electrical tape on it.) Oh, and don't forget the boots.

As for my own fun with the future:

SpaceGirl

ElectroGirl

CyberGirl: created by our own Atomic Cocktail (Note the memory card accents—we took apart an old PC for this one. Actually, more memory cards have been added since this photo.)

Good luck and please post the results for us to see!

[ This Message was edited by: vintagegirl 2006-02-20 01:20 ]

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 09:17 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2006-02-15 14:53, Formikahini wrote:

Vintage Girl could also be uber helpful, I bet.

Was I right or was I right!?! WOW, Vintage Girl!!

I'm filing these great ideas away for, um, the future

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation