FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Aku-Aku in Las Vegas
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
The Aku-Aku in Las Vegas
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2002-11-28 10:14 pm   Permalink

I recently acquired an old brochure from the Stardust in Las Vegas that had a wonderful artist's-rendering of the interior of the Aku-Aku. I wanted to share it with the group, since so many of you own the various mugs that were unique to this place, but like me, might have always wondered what it looked like.

I'll start though, with a photographic postcard of the exterior, showing the famous giant stone Moai and one of my favorite Tiki Signs of all time.

Here's an artist's rendering of the complex, showing the Aku Aku to the left of the Stardust, with three large moai out front.

Here's the view of the interior of the Aku Aku. Did the artist idealize the place or was it really this cool?

And a a view of the Neptune Dining Room, which also has a nice tropical feel to it.

Did anyone here ever visit the Aku Aku before it was torn down? I'd really be interested in hearing what it was like.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2008-01-15 22:43 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-28 11:46 pm   Permalink

You've done it again Sabu. You never cease to amaze me with your finds. Very nice.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2002-12-02 4:47 pm   Permalink

Anyone have any stories or recollections of the Aku Aku in Vegas?

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-30 6:15 pm   Permalink

Sunset Park, Las Vegas 12/29/05. Last remaining Eli Hedley carved, Aku Aku Moai. Had a lil' family time out there the last few days.

My Mom and I ( first time she's seen it since it was being carved behind Disneyland!!!)

Mrs. Bamboo and Tiki Man Jack !

Myself with Banzai Blake and my Brother Ski, who lives in Las Vegas now and is a photographer. We'll see what pics he comes up with.

My Mom Ba ( pernounced BAY) reflecting on her past incredible life as a Hedley, aka Daughter of the Original Beachcomber Eli Hedley.

Long Live the Aku Aku !!! ( Moai!!)

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-31 06:58 am   Permalink

By the Caddy in this picture, I guess this is about 1957

By the pink Caddy in this one, I know it's a 1959.

Anyone else know the other cars enough to guess these years better?

That's one awesome sign, and it sure looks like the Hedley carving in the park with it's family...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
theARTFINK
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-31 09:20 am   Permalink

the first card has a black 60 cadillac leaving the parking lot.
so I would say late 59-60.

View Profile of theARTFINK Send a personal message to theARTFINK  Email theARTFINK Goto the website of theARTFINK     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-31 11:21 am   Permalink

p.s. not to be vain, but do our profiles look alike or what!?!?!

Maybe I should change my name to Rev Aku Aku !!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-31 12:43 pm   Permalink

Carved? What was used? Ol' General Sherman redwood?

How was this bad boy put together?

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lava Lounge

Posted: 2006-01-05 07:50 am   Permalink

Wow! The Aku-Aku! What a legend. It's hard to believe (because I love that time period) that places like these existed. I mean we live in such a fast paced, super size world that if it weren't for tiki-files like ya'll swingers we'd have no imagination and nothing to remember today!

View Profile of Lava Lounge Send a personal message to Lava Lounge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 08:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-31 12:43, TikiGardener wrote:
Carved? What was used? Ol' General Sherman redwood?

How was this bad boy put together?

You can see Eli work on ONE of the Aku Aku moais on p.74 of the BOT. It clearly shows the two parts of rock that pieced it together. And the above one is seen in all his glory on p. 114.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-05 11:18 am   Permalink

Its just a bit later, the little mercury meteor cruising the strip in the second picture, (right under the sign and maoi) is a 62-63. Love those things.
I sold my 50 merc, kept my 50's soul, but I bought a 64 Galaxie, I figured that it fit more into my version of a perfect tiki life. Inject me and my car into that picture and cut the cord baby!!!!!

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 12:50 am   Permalink

The Aku Aku restaurant is long gone and the tiki escaped. Now the Stardust will be torn down to make way for Echelon.

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 02:16 am   Permalink

Johnnie Velour wrote: "The Aku Aku restaurant is long gone and the tiki escaped. Now the Stardust will be torn down to make way for Echelon."

How 'bout just Eccccchhh.

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pacific Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 10:29 am   Permalink

I am still amazed that the Stardust is still around. It was old and tattered 20 years ago.

View Profile of Pacific Andy Send a personal message to Pacific Andy  Email Pacific Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 5:47 pm   Permalink

Maybe they'll put in something like a tiki bar in the new place? If the stardust must be sacrificed, a little hope won't hurt, right?

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation