[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Bar/outdoors FL climate
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Bar/outdoors FL climate
Tiki Diva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-16 08:14 am   Permalink

I would appreciate any assistance/advice regarding constructing a small tiki bar in my backyard. It would need to be suitable to FL weather, which in the summer is very wet. The bar would be sheltered, however I'd like some direction regarding materials that will hold up in the humidity. If anyone has been down this road before and has some "lessons learned" I would truly appreciate your tips prior to the design phase. Thanks!

View Profile of Tiki Diva Send a personal message to Tiki Diva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-16 10:53 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:33 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-16 1:00 pm   Permalink

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6dc35b3127cce9722c0a6fa5900000016100AZtWLZm2ZsWJg

We'll see how she holds up this hurricane season .... live and learn... Largo, Fl

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 06:05 am   Permalink

For those who aren't the build-it-yourself Bob Villa types (myself included), you can do what I did and buy a bar that is made to go outside. Mine looks like bamboo, but is really resin.

I know some people aren't partial to artificial materials, but hey, I want this thing to last. Mine is on my covered lanai, but still is subjected to plenty of Florida heat and humidity and occasionally gets rained on (when the rain is blowing sideways). It's easy to keep clean and should last a lifetime.

[ This Message was edited by: GatorRob 2006-02-17 06:06 ]

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kev
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-17 06:34 am   Permalink

Check out this site.. tons of pics, ideas and info
http://www.tikikev.com

View Profile of Tiki Kev Send a personal message to Tiki Kev  Email Tiki Kev Goto the website of Tiki Kev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-17 07:37 am   Permalink

Thank you to everyone. I hear you all! I'm glad y'all brought up hurricane season. The thing is that after Charlie ripped through central Florida, you saw all sorts of backyard decor out in the streets...including a large trampoline that ended up, high up, in a live oak. So, the idea of a resin bar, kept under cover might be the way to go...considering the weather and proximity to the ocean. Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts on this.

View Profile of Tiki Diva Send a personal message to Tiki Diva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 7:19 pm   Permalink

About those pesky hurricanes... mine comes apart so that I can easily (with help) remove the top half. Then the whole thing can be moved to a safe location. Yeah, I personally would be real hesitant to poor too much love and sweat into a custom built outdoor bar in Florida only to see it possibly get damaged (or worse) in a hurricane. Many people do, but for my money, this was a good compromise.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-18 6:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks...do you recall where you got yours? Thanks...

Pyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-18 7:34 pm   Permalink

seems everyone has a tiki bar now. Just saw this one at target.

View Profile of Pyro Send a personal message to Pyro  Email Pyro Goto the website of Pyro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-18 8:39 pm   Permalink

Got mine at Leaders Casual Furniture in Orlando. Here's the site, but I don't see the bar on there anywhere. http://www.leadersfurniture.com. It's around $900 plus the stools.

TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-19 5:32 pm   Permalink

TikiDiva...

Let us know which way you go !!!!! TikiKev seems like he has an interesting book about tiki huts/bar, I myself have not read it.
Good Luck ...and don't forget to post pics !!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 05:26 am   Permalink

I am a firm beleiver in using what I was taught to use while I lived on Guam for 4 years. Bamboo is tough stuff!!! So are palm fronds. I have modified the formula slightly because this structure will need to outlast me. I've been contructing mine now for over 2 years. I guess I have been sceptical of it's integrity (roof) until now. It has seen well over 90 MPH winds and multiple soakings and it stands firmly in place. It's made of larger scale lumber that is very well treated for outside exposure along with metal bindings/bracketry in the roof. I am now in the process of finishing the floor and the bar itself. I will thatch the roof when all is complete below. I'll post pics as well. Good luck

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-20 11:11 am   Permalink

McTiki .... we look forward McPictures ..... aint this florida weather unreal !!!!!

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 08:39 am   Permalink

It is sometimes unforgiving too. Yes, I will post many pics as I close in on "completed" The next part is easy enough, just need the time (and weather to cooperate) to do it.

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-21 1:10 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:32 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation