Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Banana Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Banana Rum
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 11:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-23 15:06, Tikiwahine wrote:
I don't see where you get the 'candy' reference from. It's 99 proof fer chrisakes!

Lime juice and lime (or "green") lolipops have very different flavors. This is also true for real bananas and banana-shaped Runts, for example, or banana-flavored popsicles.

Banana rum tastes like rum made from bananas, or at least rum with natural banana flavors. 99 Bananas tastes like strong alcohol with melted-down banana Runts. I refered to the flavor, not the sweetness.

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 12:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-27 19:58, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Where do you guys buy the more fancy syrups like orgeat and passionfruit?

I still buy Trader Vic's orgeat, but the next time I am out I am going to make my own based on simple syrup, almond extract, and lemon extract. The TV syrup just does not have enough taste vs. sweetness for me. Some coffee places have Monin Orgeat that is supposed to be good.

And for passionfruit, I raid the local asian market for REAL passionfruit concentrate. Ingredients = Passionfruit, water. And it is thick! Good stuff with a taste that blows away TV's passionfruit make-believe stuff...in my opinion at least.

BTW, Welcome to TikiCentral!

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 10:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-02 11:48, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Banana rum tastes like rum made from bananas, or at least rum with natural banana flavors. 99 Bananas tastes like strong alcohol with melted-down banana Runts. I refered to the flavor, not the sweetness.

Ahhhh, gotcha. I have the same feeling for cherry flavoured things, and don't care for that medicinal cough syrup cherry flavour.

I can't say I've ever tried banana flavoured rum, we just can't get it up here.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 10:57 am   Permalink

Yeah, cherry is also a good example.

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-04 12:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-27 20:19, the drunken hat wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-02-27 19:58, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Where do you guys buy the more fancy syrups like orgeat and passionfruit?

if you can't find them at your local booze shop you can get them on trader vic's website. just remember that the shipping will be the same on one bottle as it is for three.

Try "fee brothers" - they're quite good. You must buy 12 bottles though. They have it all - fallernum, orgeat, marachino cherry juice - a lot of stuff.

They have a website, (Google FEE BROTHERS), then you call on the phone and tell them what you want, they ship it to you, you send them a check. It's pretty cool.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-03-04 00:21 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation