Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Appleton Estate Jamaica Rum
Appleton Estate Jamaica Rum
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 3:40 pm   Permalink

Ok, here's a question for you rum experts...

I recently found a bottle of Appleton Aged Rum that I bought my father during a Coast Guard port call in Ocho Rios Jamacia.....way back in 1993. Well, he never opened it and decided to let me have it for assisting him move. So, this rum is now QUITE well aged what do I do? Dare I open it? I am pretty sure this is a few steps above any common "Bacardi" and would love any input. Cheers!

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 4:19 pm   Permalink

I can email my freinds at Appleton and ask for you if you'd like.
But I'm pretty sure Spirits aren't meant to Age in the Bottle, thats why a 2yr old rum is still a 2yr old rum, even if you've had it for 10yrs.
But I'm not sure for definate

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 6:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-17 16:19, cheekytiki wrote:
But I'm pretty sure Spirits aren't meant to Age in the Bottle, thats why a 2yr old rum is still a 2yr old rum, even if you've had it for 10yrs.

cheekytiki is right. It should taste fine as long as it is sealed good. But it won't be any more "aged" than it was when it came off the shelf. Aging happens in the charred wooden casks in the hot, humid climates where rum is produced.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 8:47 pm   Permalink

Hey, thanks for the info guys!

I'm just going to wait for a good saturday night and get creative making various "grogs". ( Although since I got it during my first year in the Coast Guard maybe I should wait until I retire....7 more years??? )

Mahalo!!

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-18 02:05 am   Permalink

I think there's a pirate motto......
Life be too short, for thar rum be lyin' around. ARRRR!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-18 12:28 pm   Permalink

Waiting 7 years?!? I have a hard time waiting until 7pm.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chief Lapu Lapu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-18 4:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-18 12:28, GatorRob wrote:
Waiting 7 years?!? I have a hard time waiting until 7pm.

Hummmm I don't know.... I know three guys who buried three bottles of rum (no longer produced in the world) in an undisclosed location and have waited three years to open it. That would be this summer 06. Oh, did I mention the curse? Something about opening the chest before the three years were up... arrrrrrrgggggggg.

View Profile of Chief Lapu Lapu Send a personal message to Chief Lapu Lapu  Goto the website of Chief Lapu Lapu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation