FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Tikiskip's / Kahiki lamp,Tiki bar lights, fishing float light
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 Next Page )
Tikiskip's / Kahiki lamp,Tiki bar lights, fishing float light
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-01 06:28 am   Permalink

Going to do a how-to on making or reconfiguring umbrella picks, in Torchguys thread
"Lantern umbrella picks-- still available anywhere?" he asked about where to buy these.
Not knowing where to buy them I thought I may be able to make some.
This is what I came up with....

••T•.•΄―`•.•I•.•΄―`•.•K•.•΄―`•.•I•.•΄―`•.•S•.•΄―`•.•K•.•΄―`•.•I•.•΄•`•.•P••

So what is this?
It is what they call Joss paper.(also known as ghost money)
You can fine these at Asian grocery stores,(Mostly Chinese)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_paper

Ever since I was a kid I loved the Chinese writing on the fireworks we would buy.
It was so strange, items such as these can be used to make your umbrella picks.
Round designs works best for sure but use what you like best.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ TIKISKIP™ "Go to the light"© ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Lights, dΓ©cor for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-01 5:00 pm   Permalink

I have no idea why or how it came about, but one day, several years ago now, i was at a bar and the bartenders partner and i were talking and she unravelled the little white part of paper on top of a cocktail umbrella and it was covered in what i assume was Chinese writing. Kind of makes sense, now knowing what sort of paper they are made out of.

Edited after finding this link in another thread that explains what i said above.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocktail_umbrella

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2016-03-02 06:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2016-03-02 06:35 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-02 2:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks Siwzz I was going to say that was newspaper.
In China they waste nothing.
Making these I can't help think of the person that makes these day after day all their life for dam near nothing per hour in pay.
The drink these sit in would take many hours for them to afford.

Ok lets get started.....

MAKING A SMALL UMBRELLA PICK ABOUT THE SIZE OF A QUARTER.
By Tikiskip

We will use two sizes in making these.
The small size umbrella pick, this is the easy size umbrella pick to find.
And the Large size umbrella pick, don't know where I got the large size or if you can get these anymore.

At first we will start with the small size umbrella pick.

Take the paper away from the ribs very carefully so as not to tear the paper.
Chinese glue is not that good so they come off at times with ease.
Only remove about 1 inch of paper for this style.
Every now and then one will sick, move on to a different one, you have 143 more after all.

Now cut as round a circle as you can to the new size small umbrella you want to make.
Using Elmer's white glue, glue the ends of the paper back to the ribs.
You need to take too much of the paper off so you can make cut with Scissors.
Those little scissors are great for doing this.

Find those little scissors here...
http://www.joann.com/fiskars-craft-curved-4in-scissors/2550051.html?gclid=CPK92ubMossCFQeraQodP4YMHA

Lastly cut off the extra rib length on each rib.
SAVE the cut off rib parts as these can be used to make other umbrella pick styles.

Now you have three different sizes of umbrella picks.

Make drink install umbrella pick to said drink.
I think the smaller size is a bit cooler than the ones we are used to, and hey it's different.

More to come....

•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•:*'''*:•

_________________________________________________________________________________________

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2016-03-02 14:46 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-06 7:49 pm   Permalink

Awesome

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-06 8:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the show and tell Skip.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Danno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-07 07:28 am   Permalink

Thank you for sharing. Very cool.

View Profile of Danno Send a personal message to Danno      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-07 11:17 am   Permalink

Thanks Hang10, Jefe, and Danno.
Do have some others to post just got side tracked.

Have gone nuts on these things and have found many ways to change these picks to make new styles.

It's fun to do as well.

El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-07 7:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-01 06:28, tikiskip wrote:
Going to do a how-to on making or reconfiguring umbrella picks, in Torchguys thread
"Lantern umbrella picks-- still available anywhere?" he asked about where to buy these.
Not knowing where to buy them I thought I may be able to make some.
This is what I came up with....

••T•.•΄―`•.•I•.•΄―`•.•K•.•΄―`•.•I•.•΄―`•.•S•.•΄―`•.•K•.•΄―`•.•I•.•΄•`•.•P••

So what is this?
It is what they call Joss paper.(also known as ghost money)
You can fine these at Asian grocery stores,(Mostly Chinese)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_paper

Ever since I was a kid I loved the Chinese writing on the fireworks we would buy.
It was so strange, items such as these can be used to make your umbrella picks.
Round designs works best for sure but use what you like best.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ TIKISKIP™ "Go to the light"© ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨*•.ΈΈ¨
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Lights, dΓ©cor for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

Hey Skip on those with your logo, the Trader Vic's logo and Lemonhart logo are you completely taking the white top apart and rewrapping or just making a hole in the new logo and slipping it over the top? On the lanterns what has been your success rate of removing the pick from the umbrella that slips on from the bottom? I was at a bar recently messing around with some and about every two out of three a portion of the pick broke off and remained in the top making it difficult to then slide on another umbrella to make a lantern.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-08 06:41 am   Permalink

“Just making a hole in the new logo and slipping it over the top?”

This one.

“On the lanterns what has been your success rate of removing the pick from the umbrella that slips on from the bottom? “

Only once did one just slip off of the top part.
So I don’t do it that way.
Will show with photos how to and all.

Going to make the small lanterns next.

Glad you have been working with umbrellas.

El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-08 07:15 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info Skip. Look forward to the "How To" info.

JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-03-08 07:15 am   Permalink

Thanks for the how-to Skip! I've been wanting gold metallic drink umbrellas for sometime, and the only source I can find that will let me specify a color is in the UK, so shipping costs more than the umbrellas and I can only get a dozen or so at a time. The other sources are all from China and will only send a variety of umbrellas, not all metallic. I really like the idea of the smaller umbrellas, so hopefully your next tutorial will show how you used the other materials to create umbrellas. I'm guessing just pleating and overlaying only existing umbrella, but I'll await your knowledge dump.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-08 08:22 am   Permalink

Yeah Jen I'm not going to show any really brilliant stuff but a few tricks that's all.

Like what if you used these to make, or, ah, remake your umbrella to be the gold foil
umbrella you want.
Small tips like that.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=gold+foil+cupcake+wrappers&tbm=shop

HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-08 11:12 am   Permalink

Skip, this is really cool, I love it. Very clever and creative.

Jen, if you end up going Skip's DIY route, you could probably do exactly what you're wanting with origami paper. The missus has a bunch of shiny metallic paper.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-08 11:24 am   Permalink

Yes that would work too.

The great thing about cupcake wrappers is they are pleated for you and the round shape
is already cut.

JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-03-08 12:12 pm   Permalink

Well, I considered getting gold-colored mylar wrapping paper and using a craft punch to get the round shape. The mylar would be very flexible and would probably stick pretty well to the existing umbrella paper and fold without having to do much pre-pleating. Looks like I'll have to do some experimenting of my own.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation