FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Tiki Oasis 6 in San Diego - Book Now!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Tiki Oasis 6 in San Diego - Book Now!
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 11:36 am   Permalink

I think the Oasis in San Diego was a true success.

The Friday night venue behind the Bali Hai and right on the WATER with the San Diego skyline in the distance was really cool. It was especially nice to have a venue that could actually make GOOD drinks. I think more than a few folks realized the potency of the Bali Hai Mai Tai. I recall a number of people that night in sad shape. One was passed out under a table behind the stage. Another was um...(how do you say "going commando" for a female?) expressing lots of freedom in her dancing that night.

The Sand Devils were an awesome high energy addition to an event with historically mild entertainers (Ape is the exception). When that super loud guttural reverb guitar started the crowd just lit up !!! Not even the woo hoos from the crowd could be heard over the driving guitar.

Although I'm not usually a fan of the Burlesque stuff the Friday night performance to the Disneyland Tiki Room music was very appropriate and the music ends with a perfect climax for that style of performance.

The vending area finally had the breathing space it so desperately needed when compared with the limited area in the Caliente Tropics lanai. You could actually walk from vendor to vendor and SEE the product they were vending. The cloud cover kept the vendors from getting cooked in the sun.

I was skeptical of the Tent style venue at the Hanalei but honestly when the stage decor was complete and Onatikis KILLER lamps were turned on it actually was pretty cool. In the end WE are the decor in all of our vintage wardrobe splendor.

The tent also secluded us from other hotel guests (think wedding reception) and kept the temperature stable for the scantily clad ladies and sandal wearing men.

The room parties were really off the hook this year even though they were shut down early at night, there were plenty of daytime parties. Maybe the Hanalei can work on getting ALL of us in the same building so we don't bother other guests.

Cult of the EYE!!! Damn that was a room party. A huge room, a wrap around bar and cool custom decor and drink dispensers.

Apes performances were tight and energetic as always and the Mai Kai gents with a big sound system were terrific.

Major pluses of the Hanalei is that they had a solid bar in the hotel and 3 restaurants to choose from (unlike Caliente where you were eating Mexican food or leaving).

Big props to all of the volunteers and especially to Matt Reese who seemed to be bustin his ass and on the go the entire time. Hauling around amps long after the performances were done and the people were gone. Give dat boy a raise! Ona Tikis lamps were a major plus to the venue giving us some eye candy up high in the tent. I know personally that he really busted his butt getting all those huge lamps made. Nice job all.

I would say its a success and all should pat each other on the back.

PS- I got 4 hours of solid video but no photographs. Who has some pics to post?

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2006-05-08 11:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: monkeyman 2006-05-08 12:17 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 12:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words. I have to say I loved every minute of it. I hope everyone had a great time.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki

Posted: 2006-05-08 12:13 pm   Permalink

I want to reiterate what WooHooWahine said.....Thanks to all that made Tiki Oasis 6 sooooo much fun for us! My only regret is that we had to leave Sunday morning at 7am for a soccer game!!! (After the security shut our room crawl down at around 12:30am!!!) I never thought I'd see soooo many people packed into a small room!!! Everyone happy and everyone drinking and everyone "woohoo"ing!!!! Even Otto woohoo'd!!! And MUCHO MAHALO OTTO for putting together a great event!!! Looking forward to the next tiki adventure!!! We made some great new friends and experiences.....Ape was great! The Martini Kings and Mai Kai Gents were fantastic!
The Sand Devils rocked! King Kukulele, well once again he showed why he IS the King! And thanks Shell In The Pacific for organizing the room crawl. All I can say is.......

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJLee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 4:55 pm   Permalink

This was composed before I looked at anyone else’s comments.

I’m sure everyone else will hit the highlights of the event; I’ll keep this one short. Otto did a marvelous job of coordinating the weekend considering it was five years in the same location and had to be moved to a different city. He faced a lot of complications. Give him kudos for this.

The full PA system and lighting was nice and brought the level of the event up a few notches.

The coolest thing about this event for me…it is marvelous to hang out with such an amazing group of creative, eccentric, crazy and nice folks.

I know, Palm Springs is a better location. The lack of intimacy as experienced at The Tropics (though drunk cheering at the wedding from a balcony was fun) and of course the room party issues came up numerous times.

All in all, I had a blast. Oh, thanks to everyone who served up the marvelous drinks their rooms while they were able to. I can’t remember many moments of sobriety between Friday and Sunday!

View Profile of DJLee Send a personal message to DJLee  Goto the website of DJLee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 6:41 pm   Permalink

We had an absolute blast at Oasis this year!!

Cheers to Otto and Baby-Do and everyone else involved for topping it, yet again this year, despite having just had a baby and many bemoaning the venue change etc
San Diego rocked and the only thing I missed of Palm Springs was the weather. Both venues had prose and cons. Personally, I'd like to see Oasis move around, but if that's not possible, I'd vote for SD in '07.

The shows were great(production values and all), the Bali Hai rocked and it was great getting to meet and hang out with such cool people. Heck, I even got a drink personally served to me by Shag...thanks Ben! We also had a chance to check out Mr Tiki and the new Neo Tiki, Lei Lounge, which just opened.

The Room crawls were AWESOME!! The parties getting closed was a pain, but ultimately part of the fun (as one would start in another room)- a Tiki treasure hunt of sorts.
Monkeyman, your monkeypod rocked. It was great to get served my favorite drink at FI, by it's inventor. Ran, your Keilhaul kicked major butt, too (ps Thanks for the CD - It'll soon be gracing FI's Juke)

We really enjoyed the decor at the Hanalei as well.

A wonderful time, indeed.
Mahalo!

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 8:09 pm   Permalink

Here's a few shots.

When we arrived at the Hanalei on Thursday, the Mai Kai Gents were doing a great job entertaining the crowd.

Wersmo Derinc was there.

And the lovely Rebecca.

Shelley passed around the tip case.

On Friday I got to meet Mr. Bali Hai (I'm pointing at my Mr. Bali Hai salt shaker pendant)

I got to hang out with my buddy Dogbytes, who graciously let me use her room to squeeze orange juice even though she was doing her Room Host party. Sorry about the mess, and thanks for the Rongo Ricky!
Krustiki and I shared a table at the Bali Hai with Tiki-Kate, who was nice enough to let us share her reservation.

Saturday night under the big top, Tyger Jimmy gives the thumbs up!

Shelley as Sophisticated Savage!!!

Some of our purchases from the vendors at Tiki Oasis 6:
Really cool mug shelf, shaped like outrigger canoe, made by Tiki Diablo. Tiki Bob mug purchased from Holden of Tiki Farm. Mr. Bali Hai mug purchased in the gift shop at the the Bali Hai.

Stay tuned, more photos coming soon....

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hanalei_Pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 8:22 pm   Permalink

Well all I can say is WOW. This is the first time I've stayed for the entire weekend and come to the event with my husband.... (usually I'm crashing on Tikibob's couch in his room and staying maybe a day and a half!) So this was a big treat to come as a full-fledged guest on my own steam this time. Anyway, what struck me was the tremendous about of planning that must go into organizing this whole event, from the thoughtful care package given at check-in to all the details - the drink menu for Bali Hai, the cool useful free souveneirs, the professionally-done brochure with weekend's schedule and list of vendors, etc. So much work!!! It is so obvious to me that this is just alot of work and planning so I would like to echo what others have said, and say a big THANKS TO OTTO/BABYDOE for the amazing job they do.

View Profile of Hanalei_Pirate Send a personal message to Hanalei_Pirate  Goto the website of Hanalei_Pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 9:33 pm   Permalink

Here's a picture of the "Goof" on the roof of the Bali Hai.

A Tiki near the entrance of the Bali Hai.

These photos were from dinner on Saturday night. Tiki-Bird reserved the Dragon room for us, and it was a good thing we had the room to ourselves because we got pretty loud! The food was pretty good too!

All of these photos were taken by Krustiki, except the one of him and me. I think Tiki-Bird took that one.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cyntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 10:19 pm   Permalink

360ish more days till Oasis VII……

Still in recovery from Oasis VI. And it is all such a blur! A whirlwind.

Bealza-Elvis & I had such a great time and give muchos Mahalos to Otto & Babydoe, and the San Diego Ohana for a fabulous Oasis this year. San Diego was a great host and has the true aloha spirit.

No time for rest and relaxation this year, even though we arrived earlier than ever. There was such a schedule of unending drinking and shopping that had to be met.

Onatiki’s one-of-a-kind lamps in the main tent transformed the pavillion and set the mood for the Magic of Tiki.

The cooler weather allowed for a lot more shopping time and also allowed us to completely empty our wallets. I really had the staying power, not about to faint from the heat stroke weather of Palm Springs. Thank God for those vendors that accepted plastic.

The room parties were stupendous, starting with Dr. Z’s & Purple Orchid serving cocktails after the “Meet & Greet” with the Mai Kai Gents in the Islands sushi bar. It was great to get cocktails, live music & sushi while seeing all your old friends. Greg hit more parties than I but I tasted Spermy & Whalerider’s Daytonas & Meihanas and they were ever so tasty. Tasted some woohoo juice and enjoyed immensely. Loved Dogbytes & Todd’s RongoRongo Rickey-a fine drink, loved the recipe & buttons, PiPhiRho made the Cannibal and I WANT the RECIPE!!!…..on we went to have a Monkeypod with hosts Aaron’s Akua & Monkeyman. I was actually dust after this and made it only to see Tikipug’s room but no Mojito’s left.

Cult of the Eye were raging all weekend long & strong. Classic conch shell while the golfers t’d off. They are so charming, welcoming & friendly! I had to keep telling myself, “they’re a cult” that’s why they are so nice. But I think I am getting ready to join….

Missed the weather and intimacy of Palm Springs but loved San Diego. What I found most important and necessary is our ability to handle change and adapt. Sometimes new is OK! And it was A-Okay! Hanging with some great friends, meeting new ones listening to astounding music and buying bootie from the artist themselves. Also loved my comfortable bed and that I slept through all of those room parties after 1:00 every night!

Memories of …..riding the glass elevators with a bunch of crazy drunks any time day or night, watching a bunch of tiki ants from the 8th floor…CHONGOLIO…laughing my ass off for 3-½ days straight.

Can’t wait till next year!
Mahalos everyone!

View Profile of cyntiki Send a personal message to cyntiki  Email cyntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 11:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:
cyntiki wrote
I was actually dust after this and made it only to see Tikipug’s room but no Mojito’s left.

I am so sorry I ran out of ingredients. Next time you see me, I'll have one with your name on it.

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 12:27 am   Permalink

Great pics ookoo lady. I wish I woulda found that outrigger mug shelf (but it probably looks better on your wall). Holden had some great deals goin' on at da Farm stand. So many good things at this years Tiki Oasis I can only hit the hi-lites: Bali Hai - killer drinks, Sand Devils, Martini Kings, APE & The Bali Hai itself (goes w/o saying). Hanalai - TC Ohana, Shag Wit a Twist, Monkeypods, tiki bazaar, Cult O' the Eye room party, Hanalei sushi bar & some of the most beautiful ponds, fountains & gardens this side of paradise.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 06:46 am   Permalink

Tikipugs mojitos were amazing. I have never had a mojito that good. Thank you.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 09:35 am   Permalink

I had a great time at the first SD Oasis, and I'm hoping the next one will be here, too. I think the potential for even more fun is big, as we all know this Oasis had to organized in short notice (and in less than favorable conditions).
I'd like to thank Otto and Babydoe for putting this together. Matt Reese was indeed working hard to help, busting his ass all throughout the weekend. Let us not forget Ona Tiki's work, as he was busting his ass with Matt, too. Thanks to all the volunteers who helped.
Special thanks to Otto, who put my band The Sand Devils on the bill. I wasn't sure about how we will be accepted, but the positive responses were overwhelming, thanks!
This year's event wasn't in the best timing for me, as we are in the process of moving, the missus is 7 months pregnant, so to get ready for the gig, provide the backline for friday, and try to debut a drink was quite a task, and I have my wife's help and understanding, and Jeff's (BigTikiDude) help to thank.
I didn't have time to really do a room crawl, but I did get to visit Dr. Z's party, Dogbyte's room, Aaron's akua & monkeyman's room, and the TikiPugs. The drinks were delicious, but the company was the real fun part.
It was very gracious of Jonpaul, Marie, Adam and Erica to let me use their room for debuting my new drink "Keelhauled". The garnish is yet to be finalized, but the recipe proved to be a success. I might need to put a "limit one per customer" restriction based on the results

Until next year,
Ran

[ This Message was edited by: kick_the_reverb 2006-05-09 09:36 ]

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IKABOD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 09:54 am   Permalink

We of the Cult Of The Eye, graciously thank all of you for coming by and hanging out. It was a pleasure meeting all of you. We did this for you folks and it appears that it was worth it. See you all next year.

Enjoy!

View Profile of IKABOD Send a personal message to IKABOD  Email IKABOD     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 10:03 am   Permalink

Quote:
..riding the glass elevators with a bunch of crazy drunks any time day or night

I enjoyed standing outside one of the hosting room ( I think it was Ran's)and pelting the elevator with ice from my drinks to get everyone's attention so I could let them know the drink I was enjoying was so awesome! Actually, no one ever knew cuz you all were so plastered. I guess you had already visited THAT room!

Seriously though...this was our 1st Oasis and I was VERY impressed with the huge amount of forethought that went into the planning (think welcome bags-wow!).

It was so great to meet everyone face to face; kinda like meeting famous people, for me! And EVERYONE was so nice and fun!! Cult of the Eye's room was great with a view of the golf course. Never did get a pull from that hookah, but Amy (I think- on Thurs eve) served us a fab Blue Hawaiian!! The guys were all so nice to my hubby and he really enjoyed himself. I think he was a little wary at first, what with those fezzes and all. Now he says they're not so "hinky". He trusts them (for an ex-Marine to admit that is a real coo!)

The music was... fabulous-stupendous-awesome-life changing!!! I was surprised when the Sand Devils first started, cuz my feet took me to the stage and my elbows poked and pushed to get my ears to the very front (sorry if I gouged anyone!). I had to have more! And then Ape comes on and Al starts carving and I was just losing my ever lovin mind! A lot of girls kept telling me how hot and exotic and unbelievably sexy the show was gonna be and I was thinking, "OK, great, we'll see."
Um. Yeah!!! What a way to start the weekend! I'm a sold out fan now!! Booking my tix and rezzies right now for any and all future events!

The security guys breaking up the room parties were actually kinda fun to kid with. They took it with good nature. I don't think they expected what they got from us! Now they know and Oasis will be billed up front and larger than all else on their board! (Not in tiny letters at the bottom, even below the Small Gift Convention!)

I think we all did quite well at not totally wrecking that wedding! We should be proud we can hold our liqueur-y tongues when it comes down to it!

Thanks to SoccerTiki and WooHoo for the incredible room decor...you deserved to win best room!
And thanks to SoccerTiki for sitting with me and the Mr up on the balcony at night to "make announcements" to all loiterers down in the pool/garden area!! "Attention! Attention! All Hanalei Guests present in pool area! Lift your shirt above your head now! Failure to comply will result in a hefty room fee!" I think we had one compliant guest. And he was a dude.

Thanks also to SoccerTiki, RugbyMatt, and Bill for sharing rezz w/ me for dinner. And to Bill for driving us all back from Bali Hai in your smokin mini van.
And to TikiBlog for sharing your baby with me (lil white Chihuahua), as I was going through puppy withdrawals! TOO CUTE!!

Really, thanks to everyone I set my eyes on cuz you all made the event!
But a very special thanks goes to...PURPLE TUBE TOP!! The chick from San Diego's Mardi Gras Convention Personnel that crashed WooHoo's and SoccerTiki's room crawl the first night! What the heck was that all about!?! So now all us girls can pounder the mystery of why she has to pee every 20 minutes during sessions! We were all polite and nice to her, but you could hear a flea fart after she asked us ALL for advice on that!!

This was the best damn party we EVER been to!!

(Thanks to ? for the extension cord for our smokin tiki on the balcony...I can't rememer your name!! You had the room directly below us...Sorry I can't remember...anything much. all kinda hazy...)

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation