FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Puka Bar, Long Beach, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Puka Bar, Long Beach, CA (bar)
GiantRobotTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-11 8:05 pm   Permalink

Went to the Puka Bar about a week ago for the 1st time. Nice place! People were friendly. Bar-tender was VERY cool and kept coming back to talk with us. Really enjoyed my 1st experience there. I would highly recommend this place to anyone thats looking for a Poly-pop watering hole in Long Beach.

Interesting side note. My girl told me that all the bars in the local vicinity used to be watering holes for the long shore men in the 40's during the war. So I guess a lot of the bars on that street and neighboring streets have been bars for quite some time.

Anywho....just my 2 cents.

View Profile of GiantRobotTiki Send a personal message to GiantRobotTiki  Email GiantRobotTiki Goto the website of GiantRobotTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-18 2:17 pm   Permalink

Ownership change at the Puka Bar

Press Telegram: Tim Grobaty Column-Puka Bar

Possible change to Puka Bar itself? It may become a bikini bar? Stay tuned

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-18 3:02 pm   Permalink

Nice !! There's a long standing tradition for T&A in the Tiki bar...

That's the reason for Tiki Bob's smile.

(Credit Swanky for the pics. I poached them from his website.)

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-25 09:21 am   Permalink

Here's a status update on the Puka Bar that was posted on their former Facebook page (now called "Tiki Drinki") this morning. I'm omitting the name of the poster because I don't know what their connection is or isn't--I think it might be one of the former DJs:

"At this point the bikini aspect is not a for sure. Our guess is the new owners will have trouble vis a vis the entertainment license regarding this. They've already done a lot of renovation. Jacked up the bar and moved it out and back in the room. Knocked out some walls, new flooring, etc. Major cash injection!! And, it's no longer "you guys" as in Larry. Completely new ownership and staff. Retaining the name and decor only. Not gonna do live music as far as we've heard. One of the new owners was a manager at MaiTai Bar at the Pike, so they have bar experience."

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-25 1:50 pm   Permalink

Hmmmmmmmmm?
too bad,
just as the really cool shows were starting to happen there.
oh well....

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swangulo Tikis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-11 8:51 pm   Permalink

We were here a while back to see one of my husband's bands play, and I wasn't overly impressed. It had some cool elements, but the drinks weren't great, for the most part, and we found a huge gaudy plastic "Party City" tiki mask in there.
The mai tai was the most disgusting one I've ever had. Really syrupy and sweet, and when I told the bartender that it was really syrupy, far too sweet, and tasted "off," she insisted that this is the way they are made. Ha! I don't believe in arguing with idiots, so I switched to beer. Might have to give it another try sometime, now that it's changed hands - maybe the drinks will improve.

View Profile of Swangulo Tikis Send a personal message to Swangulo Tikis  Goto the website of Swangulo Tikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-19 3:35 pm   Permalink

I just drove by the location and their new signage is up. It's called Sandbar Bar and Lounge.

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-03 08:13 am   Permalink

Here's a "Help Wanted" ad for new staff...

Servers & Bartenders Wanted Long Beach

SANDbar long Beach
Bar & Lounge

Looking for Bartenders and Servers.
MUST BE 21 YEARS OF AGE TO APPLY!!!
1 YEAR bartender or server experience necessary!

Bikini Bar and Lounge : island theme atmosphere
Uniform:
1. Bikini top with jean shorts (day)
2. Bikini top with tank top (bar logo) with black shorts (night)

Venue will be featuring high profile DJs and Bands Weekly!
FULL Bar! State of the Art Audio and Visual Systems!

Be part of the Newest and Hottest Bar & Lounge in LongBeach!

3 Stage Hiring Process:
1st Send 1 page resume with a head and full body shot
2nd Fill out application in Person
3rd 1 on 1 five minute interview

Grand Opening to be on March 12th (tentative)
New hires START DATE: March 1st (tentative)

Send 1 page resume with a head shot and full body to XXXXXXXXX

Time to change the Puka Bar's status to "DEFUNCT", I'm thinking?

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-06-03 09:17 am   Permalink

Okay, it's changed.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-03 10:00 am   Permalink

Oh, that sucks. I remember going here after my thesis defense. Although, maybe I should apply for a job. I am trying to get back to California.

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 08:16 am   Permalink

I heard thru the grapevine ....the Puka bar is no longer a Tiki bar and has turned
into a strip club.Is there any validity to this ? Has anyone been there lately ?

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-17 08:21 am   Permalink

After searching the internet , the Puka Bar is definitely closed !This may be old news
to some TC peeps !

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation