FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Are we the last generation of Tiki?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Are we the last generation of Tiki?
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 2:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-24 13:20, JackLord wrote:

... I just meant that like Star Trek itself, Tiki perseveres and is reinvented every decade or so while not losing is basic essence...

... kinda like creative anachronists?...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 2:12 pm   Permalink

A past thread that touches on the topic of Tiki culture and Trekkies....read at your own peril

Groovy read, that. A bit of the ole way-back machine. Alas, it brings tears to my eyes to read some of those posts. So many fine young TC'ers, now gone to the archived pages of history. We lost a lot of good men/women...why did they have to die? Why'd they have to kill Bong!?! Oh right, the macrame incident, it was his own damn fault.

On topic: last generation of Tiki? Probably. Survival of the fittest, weed out the weak sisters, no upper body strength, bad clothes. That sort of thing. I know I'm the last of the midnite genetic line. I got fixed. It wasn't my idea, but part of my sentence on that morality charge. That videotape, the monkey and a dwarf episode. Mainly what got me was the Tricky Dick mask; the Yorba Lina mafia types got righteous lawyers.

Sure he went China, but wage and price controls? Stupid Keynesian theory. Oh, you can alleviate some immediate pressure from price gougers, get a kick in the Dow and some happy poll-numbers. Ok, maybe some elements of usury laws are attractive. But full employment? It doesn't work, not in any remotely free-market economy. Inflation, the big threat, is really just a by-product of fiscal and monetary policies. Nixon couldn't see the forest for the trees and was too caught up in his WWII paradigm of rationing and pseudo-black markets. The real issue in the late 60's was Dick's aversion to any semblance of recessionary economy, harking back to what he saw as THE reason for his narrow loss to Kennedy in '60.

While price controls may limit the costs of disinflation by prohibiting wage increases that are out of line with demand and prices. Restrictive monetary policy is the means to cure inflation, with price controls the soothing balm that takes away the pain. That may be logical, however the actual outcome is far from it. The pressures on the Federal Reserve to avoid recession may lead to a continuation or even acceleration of excessive growth in the money supply. And this is what happened under Dick Nixon in '71. It was argued, rather impotently, these controls were proper as they were being employed to delay the worst inflationary effects until a more fundamental inflation cure was put in place. Unfortunately, monetary policy continued to be expansionary, perhaps even more so. The basic premise remains true, it's fiscal and monetary policy, not governmental controlling of wages or prices.

Just goes to show, you go Keynesian and you will get a shortage or a surplus.

Tiki's cool...
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-24 2:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-24 14:12, midnite_tiki wrote:

...Nixon couldn't see the forest for the trees and was too caught up in his WWII paradigm of rationing and pseudo-black markets....

... whoa, a nixon/tiki halloween mask (and related gift items)... great idea, porkchop... a whole new angle... imagine the nixon tiki mug (cold drinks cause it to sweat, cool!) and the collectors of it years from now... low runs, high resale value... awesome!...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 07:31 am   Permalink

Hell, no...somebody has to make us our Mai Tais at the retirement community!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 08:47 am   Permalink

I think many of us were drawn to it because it was an abandoned theme of wild and boundless bad taste and shocking iconography. It is for the most part unrefined and clashes with subtle things associated with what most people wished to aspire to.

I think the further from popularity it goes, the stronger it's ties are with those goofballs who purposely golf at pebble beach wearing a pink yellow aloha shirt and cammos.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 4:07 pm   Permalink

A neighbor and friend of mine died two years ago from a bee sting. I don't know how many times I drove by his house to see him standing out front in shorts and a aloha shirt watering his lawn... the hose in one hand, a beer in the other and a little cigar hanging from his lips. When I filed by his casket to pay my last respects he was wearing an aloha shirt with three of those little cigars in his pocket. All of us have to die but we don't have to lose our cool (or our sense of humor).

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BryanDeanMartin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-25 9:10 pm   Permalink

I think my opinion much follows JackLord's post...tiki culture will be a subculture only perhaps, but there will always be those who appreciate it. People are still listening to rockabilly, to exotika, to swing, still chopping their cars, still watching Turner Classic Movies, still listening to Beethoven. Good things don't die simply because they lose their popularity. Even if every tiki restaurant and bar does close, there will still be collectors installing their own personal tiki bars. Call it subculture, call it kitsch, call it whatever you want, but these things never die.

And here my opinion diverges...Star Trek is acceptable. I love the 50s/60s visions of the future...the same way that Disney's Tomorrowland was originally the "World of 1987." I graduated high school in 1987, and if only the world was really like that...I may be the only one here who would have loved to live in the Home of the Future, but so be it.

View Profile of BryanDeanMartin Send a personal message to BryanDeanMartin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-26 08:42 am   Permalink

Don't be afraid! the reason we are here now is that it already was mainstream, and already died off at least once. Anytime anything catches the public fancy, will eventually fall from it as well. And once gone, be resurrected, because it is "new". It is the great Tiki circle of life. I don't know about you, but my first mugs were .25 and .50 cents, and I passed up many because they were not full body Tiki's, and at any goodwill there were enough to be picky. Why? because they were tacky souvenirs of an era long gone. Because they were once a "must have" and were now just taking up space in the garage. Because they were the parents and grandparents junk. Tiki will probably become more and more mainstream, hit big, and die back. pretty much anything popular does that. The fact that "the Kids" are into it is a sure sign of it's eventual demise. But, does that make the Mai Tai less tasty? the Lau Lau less luscious? don't cry because 2am will eventually come, Order another round and let them kick you out, and then in your drunken sleep you will dream of the Kahiki! The only people who need worry are those who are into it because it is in, because they buy whatever is in urban outfiters or spencers or hot topic, and forget it just as quickly. Bars will open and close, outrigger mugs will become pencil cups on cluttered desks. If we are lucky, our kids or their kids will find those $100 mugs in goodwill for .50 and buy a few, 'cause, you know, they are kinda cool...

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BryanDeanMartin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-28 4:03 pm   Permalink

It could follow the path of the swing rebirth from about 1995 or so....everything that was sold then at higher prices is now cheap. I haven't seen any zoot suits at Goodwill, but it wouldn't surprise me...I have seen plenty of bowling shirts.

View Profile of BryanDeanMartin Send a personal message to BryanDeanMartin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 10:07 am   Permalink

One of our newest members is PockyTiki, a High School Student, making him a generation younger than me, Bong, 'BooBen, etc.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 10:56 am   Permalink

Tiki can never die, because it's part of the past. You can't change the past.

As long as there are vintage mugs and postcards, menus and photographs to remember what was once there, there will always be someone to love it, and hold it dear to their heart.

What is fading are the people who had first hand experience during the original heyday. It's important that we also have the books and stories to document their experiences.

Tiki will never die, because there will always be people discovering it. Everything that we do is helping the next generation find out what tiki was all about. Sure, modern ideas may be slightly askew, but the original will always be there for reference. In book, in postcard, in mind, computer, menu, matchbook, mp3, LP, etc.

Live long! Live Tiki!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 11:02 am   Permalink

What about the Beanie Baby? Where its love and second chance. Never liked those things

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 12:38 pm   Permalink

My wife wants to know if she can put a bullet in the whole TiKi "thing" and take it out of it's misery...okay, so she's not a fan...how does it go? Go along to get along?

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TB Hawks
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-02 03:33 am   Permalink

Ok, so I'm the new guy........to me Tiki is a state of mind...The wife and I put in a new pool, screen enclosure and a complete make over of the porch and back yard.

When we go out on the porch now, we're in our world, not the busy lives we work in everyday...

We just put in the Tiki Bar and are now making the finishing touches to make it ours....It is our little place to Relax and enjoy, our friends love it our neighbors won't go home....must be, we are converting them into Tiki.

TIKI IS A STATE OF MIND (IMHO)

View Profile of TB Hawks Send a personal message to TB Hawks  Email TB Hawks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 10:48 pm   Permalink

BananaBob!

Quote:

On 2006-03-01 12:38, bananabobs wrote:
My wife wants to know if she can put a bullet in the whole TiKi "thing" and take it out of it's misery...okay, so she's not a fan...how does it go? Go along to get along?

Take her to Hawaii, then dump her! Just Kiddin' - Jeez!

No, Just take her to Hawaii. But if you have already done that, dump her.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-03-02 22:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-03-02 22:59 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation