FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Are we the last generation of Tiki?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Are we the last generation of Tiki?
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-02 10:52 pm   Permalink

No! I think not!

As a perfect example, if I may: Check out PockyTiki - he's a younger guy and enthusiastic! as Monty Python said, "He's not dead yet!"

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-03-03 08:37 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-03 12:18 am   Permalink

I don't think Tiki is fading away. To the contrary. I think Tiki is about to experience a major revival. These are very troubling times for many and the creativity, decadence, theater and sheer escapism that Tiki offers is now being discovered and embraced in very non-Tiki places by formerly non-Tiki people.

Sure there will be some change in the years to come, but don't forsake tomorrow because it may not be identical to yesterday. The Tiki of the 40's was different from the Tiki of the 60's and so much has survived because the current generation has made incredible strides in making Tiki accessible to so many. The Book of Tiki, Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge, KonaKai, Tiki Central, the Tiki Events...and the list goes on. If not for those of you who choose to keep the old ways alive, then we (those of us who've newly discovered this exciting and exotic world) would never have found it.

The more we discover the world you know, the world you've kept alive, the more we'll uncover, incorporate into ourselves and offer to future generations.

View Profile of caerthe Send a personal message to caerthe  Email caerthe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-03 07:49 am   Permalink

When we sold our house last year, the young couple had seen it with the tiki bar intact. At the walk through it had been stripped of everything except the matting, bamboo, and seagrass matting. I was half expecting them to ask if we could restore the room back to it's original condition because they wanted to use it as an office, but instead they asked to keep it as is. I gave them the names and websites of where we got our decor. A few months later Holden called to thank me for sending them his way as they bought a bunch of stuff from him and Oceanic Arts.
I also heard that it is not an office, that he had put in a bar.

A few weeks ago some teachers were walking a class of 7-8 year old kids around our block as I was watering out front. The teacher said "looks like he is re-doing his yard" to which two of the children said "it looks like Hawaii!!!" I think there is hope.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 11:30 am   Permalink

I have a 10 year old son and a 7 year old daughter. Both of them think all my tiki stuff is cool. It doesn't hurt that they've been to the Enchanted Tiki Room at Disney World many times. So they've been prep'ed. Will they carry it on after me? Too soon to tell. But there is hope. At the very least, they will have an appreciation for it even if they don't end up being tiki fanatics like dear ol' dad.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 4:13 pm   Permalink

Great stories Bongo,
That made me feel good to read, especially the kids part.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Quote:

On 2006-03-03 07:49, bongofury wrote:
When we sold our house last year, the young couple had seen it with the tiki bar intact. At the walk through it had been stripped of everything except the matting, bamboo, and seagrass matting. I was half expecting them to ask if we could restore the room back to it's original condition because they wanted to use it as an office, but instead they asked to keep it as is. I gave them the names and websites of where we got our decor. A few months later Holden called to thank me for sending them his way as they bought a bunch of stuff from him and Oceanic Arts.
I also heard that it is not an office, that he had put in a bar.

A few weeks ago some teachers were walking a class of 7-8 year old kids around our block as I was watering out front. The teacher said "looks like he is re-doing his yard" to which two of the children said "it looks like Hawaii!!!" I think there is hope.

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 6:15 pm   Permalink

See what I mean. We are just leftover caricatures of the REAL tiki generation if there ever was one. Tiki is a cartoon. We are not the last generation because REAL tiki is dead. If you want to live tiki, you live in a hut and hunt wild game and....grow your own and smoke your own....and drink kava and walk around with a loin cloth....in your hand...well, like the natives in New Guinea dammit. blah, blah, blah. THAT'S what I'm talkin' about. Where's Cousin Clem? Get real, get REAL TIKI dammit.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-03-03 8:49 pm   Permalink

I'm telling you, it's contagious, especially when you give others a chance to play, Tiki is hands on!

(Yeah, ok, I'm cheating, he's been to Kahiki, he already had the madness, and the aloha shirt!)

It was really fun seeing someone who had previously done some bar tending professionally try some of the grog log recipes and serve them in proper bowl/barrel/mugware for the first time, the results were happiness inducing-

And as for it all being contagious, doubly so with those who happen to be the 'smaller' among us-

Naturally, the hats and leis are souvenirs, as are plastic blowfish sippy cups and other Tiki treasures, 'cause going to a Tiki bar always meant coming home with little trinkety tropical treasures.

What surprised me though, was the relatively useless IKEA balls of vines that usually make for 'if you're gentle' footrests, that became instant Tiki fun for the under 10 crowd over New Year's, who'd have thunk? Relatives rolled them around and around all over the Lounge of the Seven Pleasures (under careful adult supervision to ensure Mug safety!), all of which resulted in uncontrollable giggling fits!

There was also some riding on daddy's shoulders so a certain young lady could play with the thatch hanging from the ceiling. After the inevitable 'what's thatch?' question, the next question was the obvious- 'Daddy, why don't we have thatch at our house?'.

No worries. The kids are alright.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabina 2006-03-03 21:09 ]

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 9:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-02 22:52, tikigap wrote:
No! I think not!

As a perfect example, if I may: Check out PockyTiki - he's a younger guy and enthusiastic! as Monty Python said, "He's not dead yet!"

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-03-03 08:37 ]

thankyou Gap for including me in your message! And to answer the question, No you are deffinately not the last generation of tiki, it MAY get smaller as the years progress, but i'm 18 and i've been bitten by the tropical Tiki termite

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SufferinSimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-03 11:16 pm   Permalink

Until the entire world is a tropical paradise, new people will be drawn to the mystical ways of tiki. My first encounter was the Kahiki, I was probably 25. I continued to frequent the Kahiki & research what tiki is all about. I had my birthday dinner at the Kahiki on August 25, 2000, and found the tiki news flyers. I had no idea other people gave a rat's ass about the Kahiki and had no idea there was an entire subculture dedicated to tiki.! There are many, many, more like me who are disgusted with the modern world as we know it & regress to escape it. Tiki will always be a viable alternative to the "real" world. My 2 year old son loves his "tiki cup" and prefers his juice served from it. He associates tiki with daddy ... I think that is VERY cool.

[ This Message was edited by: Hotrod Hut 2006-03-03 23:21 ]

View Profile of SufferinSimon Send a personal message to SufferinSimon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-03 11:58 pm   Permalink

HAH ! HAH ! HAH! LOL! That's a good shot! Ha Ha - I can't stop laughing! Ha ha!

Oh man.... !!! Ha ha ha !!!

And hey Pocky! Good to have you around! I'm a newbie, but I'm old!

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-03-03 23:59 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
professahhummingflowah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-06 11:31 pm   Permalink

How are we defining who the current tiki generation is?

I ask because neither the Space Kadet or myself from WAITIKI were around back in the 60s, in the heyday of tiki & exotica. Come to think of it, neither was Mr. Ho, Mistress Helenini, Guam Kane, Tupu, The Mayor, the WAITIKI Wahine, or any of the WAITIKI Village Elders. We all came into this game pretty recently, but we're doing our part to keep the tiki culture (& music, especially) alive... And I'd argue that though we may be removed from the first-hand experience of seeing the birth of exotica, we're all pretty close to it on a personal level (i.e. Spacey playing with Martin Denny/Don Tiki; me growing up watching Arthur Lyman; most of us original WAITIKI clan being from the center of the tiki-universe [Hawaii, Guam & Arizona] ... ). Long story short, I say the tiki baby boom is yet to come!

Have some faith in us, alright?

OKONKULUKU!

View Profile of professahhummingflowah Send a personal message to professahhummingflowah  Email professahhummingflowah Goto the website of professahhummingflowah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-07 7:10 pm   Permalink

No, it might simmer down more, but it will never die! Even if it is just us nerds hangin together to a piece of balsa driftwood in the ocean of information that is the internet. Yes, I think the trekkie nerd comparison is accurate at a certain level.

This topic has missed a glaring tiki source of inspiration - the art of SHAG! He's not my favourite artist, but he is extremely popular in the broader community (not just tiki nuts). One can only assume some kids are gonna see his work and be inspired by it. Hes big.

I also plan on writing an article (to post on TC) about the sociological underpinnings that help to make tiki appealing. These are universal to many people. The big one is the romanticism of a far away land. Be it relaxtion on pristine beaches or the danger of a jungle filled with savages that worship heathen tiki gods. Hell, even a home bar can be a romanticised version of the tiki temples of the "good old days". What do people think?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-08 05:39 am   Permalink

Hey sabina, Those are not balls of vines. They are hanging lights just waiting to happen! Dose ikea still have those?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caerthe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-10 6:03 pm   Permalink

As long as everyone continues to be welcoming and patient to those new to tiki, there will be many generations to come.

[ This Message was edited by: caerthe 2006-03-10 18:04 ]

View Profile of caerthe Send a personal message to caerthe  Email caerthe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-10 6:58 pm   Permalink

It doesn't matter as I have it from good authorty that the world will end on October 28, 1992. WooHoo!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation